• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Midland MTX275 mic has to be extremely close to my mouth to TX audio to other handhelds

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoStylz

Newbie to the Micromobile world, but have radio background being a military avionics tech and pilot, as well as, using handhelds for over 20 years. This might be long, so buckle up, because I have tried Googling every key word and have found nothing close to my issue.

For this scenario, I only used FRS freqs with and without CTCSS.

I moved over to the MTX275 so I could have a mobile base station for my truck. I am involved with Scouting and we take many trips with the Troop and we use handhelds as our primary commo during the drives. I also wanted a base station for our summer camps so we could leave it in the lodge to talk with the other adult leaders who are out at the different sites as a way to pass info fast over the great distances.

My situation is this: Since I have gotten the MTX275, I have had a problem with folks with handhelds hearing my transmissions. They can hear it, but it is very faint, unless I put the mic all the way up to my lips. Is this a common issue with this model?

Additional details:
After the first use of it at camp (before I found I had to put the mic in my mouth so they could hear me) the handset stopped working. I would not light up, and when I depressed the power button, but it would give a short, almost, roger like beep through the speaker.

I contacted Midland, and the rep I worked with sent me a new handset straight away. The new one would only light up with two faint orange lights on the side middle of the screen and had no tone. At this point I broke out the multi meter and measure VDC (on both) all the way to pin inside the handset. So I know it was at least getting power.

Recontacted with the rep and shared my troubleshooting. They sent me an entire replacement. Kudos to Midland customer support.
This one was fully operational, however the RX audio on my handhelds was faint. I was holding the mic at the same distance that I use with my handhelds (which picked up my voice just fine). That is when I decided to hold the PTT and move the mic closer to my mouth, and boom, as soon as I was basically touching my lips to the mic, the RX audio on the handhelds was loud and clear.

There is nothing in the manual to adjust the mic gain. So I don't know what to do.
Is this a MTX275-isim, or is there a fix, so I don't have to eat the mic to talk? I am hesitant to buy or request a new handset from Midland since I struck out with two already.

Thanks for reading, and please give me some insight.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Are the units you are taking to wide or narrow? Sounds like they are wide.

What model radios are you trying to talk to?

MoStylz

Its a mix matched bag, but here are the bulk we use:

Cobra ACXT345 narrowband

Midland GTX950 narrowband

Garmin RINO 650 narrowband

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I purchased a MTX275 about four years ago and had the same low audio issue as you, regardless of the five plus different model radios I tested it with. I returned it the next day.

Within a month I had a Motorola XTL5000 and no problems with it on GMRS whether simplex, or through a repeater. I run it at 10W, but can bump it to 40 if needed. The additional cost of that radio was absorbed by its ability to handle Amateur freqs as well as P25. Still, there are plenty of other quality radios out there that are better than the Midland MTX275.

I like the control head of the MTX275, but it appears it still has mfg. issues right from the factory.

MoStylz

I purchased a MTX275 about four years ago and had the same low audio issue as you, regardless of the five plus different model radios I tested it with. I returned it the next day.

Within a month I had a Motorola XTL5000 and no problems with it on GMRS whether simplex, or through a repeater. I run it at 10W, but can bump it to 40 if needed. The additional cost of that radio was absorbed by its ability to handle Amateur freqs as well as P25. Still, there are plenty of other quality radios out there that are better than the Midland MTX275.

I like the control head of the MTX275, but it appears it still has mfg. issues right from the factory.

Truth be told, part of the decision to get this was the handset. Which seems to be the weakest link in this case...

MoStylz

I had one that had similar problems. Midland was good with shipping it for repair. I have 4 of the units and thats the only one that had the issue. I'd ping midland.

They are awesome. They have helped me with replacement of the unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.