• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Midland - MXT400 - Pros and Cons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFI-EMI-GUY

When manufacturing slop is a given, 11K0F3E just isn't good enough. Cheap Chinese radio manufacturers seem to love the 10K5F3E to make sure even with crappy quality control, they stay within the limits.
That seems to be the trend. I have seen some even much lower. The worse the radio, the more they turn the deviation down. No need to add parts to clean up the waveform.

O-B-1

KJ7WUZ
More thrift store, got a bargain on a Part 90 radio enthusiasts....
Sound like someone yelling, "Hey you, get off my lawn!"
All the repeaters in my area are using narrow band and non-split PL's.

O-B-1

KJ7WUZ
The MXT400 is not FCC certified for, nor even tested for, a wide band emission designator like 16K0F3E. It is a 10K5F3E - narrow FM. If this software actually opens up the deviation to "wide band" , it does so while invalidating the FCC certification.

One would be better off spending their money on a good Part 90 radio since they will be in-compliant either way. I am shocked, shocked that Midland would permit the radios to be field modified like this. Has anyone actually put one on a communications analyzer to see if flipping that bit does anything at all?

Think it is a myth? Check yourself: https://fccid.io/MMAMXT400

Frequency RangePower OutputToleranceEmission DesignatorRule PartsLine Entry
462.55-462.725 MHz
2-Way Radio Communication
5 Watts1.288ppm10K5F3E95A1
462.55-462.725 MHz
2-Way Radio Communication
40 Watts1.288ppm10K5F3E95A3
467.55-467.725 MHz5 Watts1.288ppm10K5F3E95A2
467.55-467.725 MHz40 Watts1.288ppm10K5F3E95A4
FCC says your Part 90 radio isn't allowed on the Part 95....
§95.335 Operation of non-certified transmitters prohibited.
Except as provided in paragraph (a) of this section, no person shall operate a transmitter in any Personal Radio Service unless it is a certified transmitter; that is, a transmitter of a type which has obtained a grant of equipment certification for that service, pursuant to part 2, subpart J of this chapter. Use of a transmitter that is not FCC-certified voids the user's authority to operate that station.

O-B-1

KJ7WUZ
FCC says your Part 90 radio isn't allowed on the Part 95....
§95.335 Operation of non-certified transmitters prohibited.
Except as provided in paragraph (a) of this section, no person shall operate a transmitter in any Personal Radio Service unless it is a certified transmitter; that is, a transmitter of a type which has obtained a grant of equipment certification for that service, pursuant to part 2, subpart J of this chapter. Use of a transmitter that is not FCC-certified voids the user's authority to operate that station.
"...that is, a transmitter of a type which has obtained a grant of equipment certification FOR THAT SERVICE...."

Huh, go buy a Part 90 radio and operate it under Part 95 service.... Okay....

RFI-EMI-GUY

O-B-!

Since you are bringing up the MXT400, it is a narrowband radio only as well. Check the grant at:

FCC ID MMAMXT400

Who is Roger French and by what authority can he claim that there is a legacy authorization for 20 KHz bandwidth for radios that clearly are certified only for narrow band, and actually just barely at 10K5F3E. If you parse through his statement he really says nothing in the last half of his statement. It is law school weaselwording at best. Read it again. He says "up to 20 KHz BW". It would not surprise me if the software that is in the wild does not actually increase the TX deviation of the MXT400. If it does, it is an illegal modification.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
I've still got my MXT-400 in the box because I'm concerned that I might damage my SUV's electrical system if I plug it in the cigarette lighter plug and then transmit. Any ideas/help?
jimg

RFI-EMI-GUY

I've still got my MXT-400 in the box because I'm concerned that I might damage my SUV's electrical system if I plug it in the cigarette lighter plug and then transmit. Any ideas/help?
jimg
Question: How long ago did you buy this radio? Do you have the receipt?

The manual not surprisingly, is absent any details about current consumption. Using the FCC ID, I went to the Timco lab tests and found that a pre-production radio drew 7.2 amps into 50 ohms. I would have to guess the radio has a fuse rated at least 10 amps. But there again, no detail on the power cord ("sold separately"). Hopefully the radio has a power cord and has some sort of fuse.

They do instruct you to "connect the black wire directly to the Vehicles metal frame". In most vehicles the metal uni-body is sufficient.

The red lead they instruct you to connect to the fuse block as being "the most convenient connection point", or to the Accessory Terminal on the fuse block or ignition switch.

Your other alternative is to wire the red lead directly to the vehicle 12V battery positive connection. If you do so, the fuse holder needs to be on the battery side of the vehicle fire wall.

What they do not say is to wire it to your cigarette lighter socket because some of those are fused lightly 3 amps or so.

So without knowing your vehicle, you need to.

1) Confirm it has a 12V (Nominal 13.8 V ) electrical system, not 42V or 300V (electrical vehicle).
2) Read owners manual to see if you have an accessory outlet or terminal rated at 10 amps or greater.

Joe

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
A few years back I purchased a Midland GMRS mobile radio to enjoy with my shiny new GMRS license. Unfortunately, it had issues and I returned it the next day after quite some testing. I used the money toward an XTL5000 R1 and I'm glad I did...very, very, glad I did. As I have my amateur radio license, I get more for my dollar with that radio as well.

charlie12

Does anyone know if you can use the car's cigarette lighter plug to supply power to the Midland MXT400? Thanks in advance for any help.
jimg

I ran a Yaesu 3207 55w UHF radio in my girlfriend's car on the lighter plug with no problem

scorpion1200

Premium Subscriber
In case anyone wants to know you can swap out the mic (Internal Mic Cartridge) for a Motorola 5080258E18 Internal Electret Microphone Cartridge.
On the Midland MXT400...Don't forget to drill the hole bigger 1/16 of a inch...and put in cotton balls in to tighten the sound.
I got great feedback on my sound quality now.
Tip: unsolder from the board

Attachments

• MIC1.jpg
    MIC1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 6
  • MIC2.jpg
    MIC2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 8

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
When I hear that a GMRS radio has a 40-mile range I am somewhat skeptical. Seriously, what is the longest range any one of you have experienced with one of these miraculous little radios? GMRS is probably the only facet of the radio hobby I have not yet explored to any extent, and I am curious and dubious at the same time.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
When I hear that a GMRS radio has a 40-mile range I am somewhat skeptical. Seriously, what is the longest range any one of you have experienced with one of these miraculous little radios?

Well, not one of these Midland radios, but using commercial gear on GMRS...
I had access to a high level repeater, and many times was able to talk to my dad 100 miles to the east. Not using repeaters, if one of us was high enough, sure, 40 miles easy.

40 miles on GMRS isn't an issue, even with a cheap radio. Get one user up higher than the other, and even a 1/2 watt FRS radio will do wonders.

Status
Not open for further replies.