• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Midland, no thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

RenoHuskerDu

Longtime VFD, rusty old scanner
Premium Subscriber
We tried the Midland GXT1000 line of GMRS handhelds. Net/net, I'd rather go upmarket or Baofeng.
I spotted this closed thread and it is informative Power questions about Midland .

Facts hidden. Midland could not try any harder to hide the power output. It's nowhere on their website that I can find, and the manual in the box also says only Low/Med/High with no explanation. But we noticed that its already-poor battery life is even worse if you run Med or High power. You can actually watch the battery meter dive when you trx. The post above says they now have only 2w max. But FCC allows higher with your license.

Poor battery life. The batteries supplied by Midland don't last a full 8h work day. And that's on low power. Mostly standing by, very little trx. My son had to carry two batteries and keep one charging in his pickup. It's a cruel hoax. We tried some rechargeable NiMh AAs in there and that nearly doubles the useful life. If you use the dualscan option to monitor two freqs, battery life is cut even more.

Button letters rub off. A few months after I gave one to my wife to wear on her belt, I asked her to try a different channel. She replied that she could not see the writing on the buttons. Indeed, they are rubbed entirely off. She wears it on her belt, and doesn't climb under pickups or do welding like I do. The printing is substandard on the buttons.

Nice feature set. The above faults are a shame, because otherwise the radios have a nice set of features. The Whisper mic setting works great. Range is fair, but within blisterpack limitations. Controls are clear to use (until the buttons get rubbed clean). They are a bit pricey for what are essentially Walmart radios in my opinion.

None have failed. We bought 5 and all are still working a year later. We can't say that for the Cobra MicroTalk blisterpacks we started with 3 years ago, which had a 30% failure rate.

So if power output or battery life don't matter much to you, consider the Midlands. Else, look upmarket or at Baofengs with type certification.

Last edited:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Midland used to make good radios. I used one for 2 meters that out performed any ham 2 meter of the time. They faded out of sight, and the modern ones are just like some of the old radio names like Sylvania, RCA, or Emerson. Some of those names have been sold/leased to put on products that do not meet the standards of the original radios.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Facts hidden. Midland could not try any harder to hide the power output. It's nowhere on their website that I can find, and the manual in the box also says only Low/Med/High with no explanation. But we noticed that its already-poor battery life is even worse if you run Med or High power. You can actually watch the battery meter dive when you trx. The post above says they now have only 2w max. But FCC allows higher with your license.

Rated power output on these sorts of radios is sort of meaningless anyway. Often when it is shared, it's only as a marketing claim, or states the FCC limits.
What means more than power output is the ERP (Effective Radiated Power). That's transmitter ouput ± antenna gain. That's much more useful info, but to the average consumer it means nothing.
If you run the FCC ID off the back of the radio through this: FCC ID Search You can often find the actual ERP and real test results in the documents.

Poor battery life. The batteries supplied by Midland don't last a full 8h work day. And that's on low power. Mostly standing by, very little trx. My son had to carry two batteries and keep one charging in his pickup. It's a cruel hoax. We tried some rechargeable NiMh AAs in there and that nearly doubles the useful life. If you use the dualscan option to monitor two freqs, battery life is cut even more.

Yep. Again, consumer radios designed for consumer users. Size and styling take precedence over function. Consumer radios want small radios with cute little antennas. Making a consumer GMRS radio with a decent size battery pack would result in lower sales. And, as you discovered, more transmitter power means less battery life. This could be addressed with better/larger battery packs, or using an efficient antenna. But consumers don't want that.

So if power output or battery life don't matter much to you, consider the Midlands. Else, look upmarket or at Baofengs with type certification.

And there's better stuff out there than Baofengs. If you are serious about GMRS, skip the consumer/hobby grade stuff and get some decent radios. Before I was able to get my wife on amateur radio, we relied on GMRS. With commercial radios, proper antennas, repeaters and proper installs, we were able to get all the range we needed. Several times we ran close to 20 miles between mobiles in flat terrain. With repeater access, we could regularly talk 100 miles or more between radios.

If you are serious about GMRS, and are willing to invest in it, skip the consumer/hobby grade crap and get some decent radios.

WB9YBM

Midland used to make good radios. I used one for 2 meters that out performed any ham 2 meter of the time. They faded out of sight, and the modern ones are just like some of the old radio names like Sylvania, RCA, or Emerson. Some of those names have been sold/leased to put on products that do not meet the standards of the original radios.

I agree; I've had both 2M & 220MHz Midland mobiles made back in the '70s and have had good luck with those (still use the 220 radio).

RenoHuskerDu

Premium Subscriber
SNIP
If you are serious about GMRS, and are willing to invest in it, skip the consumer/hobby grade crap and get some decent radios.

Yep. Sage advice.

Say, your location in your sig resolves to "regional telephone switch # SNCZCA01DS0 in the Santa Cruz area."
That's curious. Goolag maps can't resolve it either. I thought maybe it was a tinyurl link.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
regional telephone switch # SNCZCA01DS0 in the Santa Cruz area.

CLLI = Common Language Location Identifier. SNCZ = Santa Cruz. CA = California. 01 is the main wire center for Santa Cruz. DS0 = Pulling phone service off a 5ESS switch.

Not surprising Google Maps can't identify it.

I periodically change it depending where I am and what I'm doing. Last time I set it, that's where I was. I probably need to change it again.

bill4long

We tried the Midland GXT1000 line of GMRS handhelds. Net/net, I'd rather go upmarket or Baofeng. I spotted this closed thread and it is informative Power questions about Midland

Well, here's my standard ham radio advertisment for Unsatisfied GMRS/FRS/MURS Users

Any possibility you and your wife would get a Tech class ham license?

Easy to get, and lots and lots of good radio options without spending a fortune. ™ Digital radios, high power if needed, vast antenna options, and usage of lots of repeaters (that are very often otherwise unused, depending on location)

Go ahead. Just do it. ;)

RenoHuskerDu

Premium Subscriber
Well, here's my standard ham radio advertisment for Unsatisfied GMRS/FRS/MURS Users

Any possibility you and your wife would get a Tech class ham license?

Easy to get, and lots and lots of good radio options without spending a fortune. ™ Digital radios, high power if needed, vast antenna options, and usage of lots of repeaters (that are very often otherwise unused, depending on location)

Go ahead. Just do it. ;)

K7CRL here. Tech since 2002. Wife is technically challenged. Sons will probably follow though.

RenoHuskerDu

Premium Subscriber
FYI, Midland replied promptly. But I doubt it's 2.8 watts as that would require a GMRS license. Maybe...
Sure about women in the work force, I am not... I took out her name for discretion.

"The out put power is 2.8 watts on high power, medium 1.5 watts, and .5 watts on low power.
Thanks,
Ms Hyphenated-Name"

RFI-EMI-GUY

FCC ID MMAGXT1050G

As with all Midland GMRS radios this is another narrowband radio like FRS. You won't have much deviation and therefore poor signal to noise ratio and increased difficulties accessing GMRS repeaters. GMRS is wideband 16K0F3E and 20K0F3E if you dont see either of those on the FCC Grant table you are getting a faux GMRS radio.

bill4long

As I posted on another GMRS thread, a number of people use these BTechs and similar. I would stay away from the Midland radios because they only do narrow-band FM and their CTCSS (PL) doesn't work reliably with non-Midland radios. Those who don't care about strict legality, are using Part 90 radios, that is, radios intended for commerical and public safety, and some people just use "unlocked" ham radios. Kenwood made a GMRS mobile years ago, and they can still be found on Ebay from time to time.

https://www.amazon.com/BTECH-GMRS-50X1-Repeater-136-174-99MHz-400-520-99MHz/dp/B07RDM9LMM/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=gmrs+radio&qid=1606163677&s=electronics&sr=1-8

O-B-1

KJ7WUZ
As I posted on another GMRS thread, a number of people use these BTechs and similar. I would stay away from the Midland radios because they only do narrow-band FM and their CTCSS (PL) doesn't work reliably with non-Midland radios. Those who don't care about strict legality, are using Part 90 radios, that is, radios intended for commerical and public safety, and some people just use "unlocked" ham radios. Kenwood made a GMRS mobile years ago, and they can still be found on Ebay from time to time.

https://www.amazon.com/BTECH-GMRS-50X1-Repeater-136-174-99MHz-400-520-99MHz/dp/B07RDM9LMM/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=gmrs+radio&qid=1606163677&s=electronics&sr=1-8
§95.335 Operation of non-certified transmitters prohibited.
Except as provided in paragraph (a) of this section, no person shall operate a transmitter in any Personal Radio Service unless it is a certified transmitter; that is, a transmitter of a type which has obtained a grant of equipment certification for that service, pursuant to part 2, subpart J of this chapter. Use of a transmitter that is not FCC-certified voids the user's authority to operate that station.

"...no person shall operate a transmitter in any Personal Radio Service unless it is a certified transmitter; that is, a transmitter of a type which has obtained a grant of equipment certification for that service..."

O-B-1

KJ7WUZ
FCC ID MMAGXT1050G

As with all Midland GMRS radios this is another narrowband radio like FRS. You won't have much deviation and therefore poor signal to noise ratio and increased difficulties accessing GMRS repeaters. GMRS is wideband 16K0F3E and 20K0F3E if you dont see either of those on the FCC Grant table you are getting a faux GMRS radio.
Screenshot_2020-12-16-03-02-48.png
Email from Midland. Mine came from Midland with 25kHz on the repeater channels for bandwidth. It can be programmed for split tones using software.
But you can keep shouting, "Hey kid, get off my lawn" and keep buying those Part 90 illegal thrift store radios.

RFI-EMI-GUY

View attachment 95472
Email from Midland. Mine came from Midland with 25kHz on the repeater channels for bandwidth. It can be programmed for split tones using software.
But you can keep shouting, "Hey kid, get off my lawn" and keep buying those Part 90 illegal thrift store radios.

Since you are bringing up the MXT400, it is a narrowband radio only as well. Check the grant at:

FCC ID MMAMXT400

Who is Roger French and by what authority can he claim that there is a legacy authorization for 20 KHz bandwidth for radios that clearly are certified only for narrow band, and actually just barely at 10K5F3E. If you parse through his statement he really says nothing in the last half of his statement. It is law school weaselwording at best. Read it again. He says "up to 20 KHz BW". It would not surprise me if the software that is in the wild does not actually increase the TX deviation of the MXT400. If it does, it is an illegal modification.

Last edited:

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
I can tell you from real world use, the Midlands - all of them - sound horrible on every repeater I have heard them. I suppose they might sound OK on another Midland, or a radio incorrectly programmed for narrowband on GMRS, but they are (obviously) low audio, and very tinny in tone.

Coffeemug

Premium Subscriber
Give me good portable radio, such as Motorola HT 1250 or a Kenwood TK 370
Mobile Motorola Maxtrac CDM 1250 or Kenwood TK 8160... Any one of these radio may not be Part 95 accepted, but GMRS is in between the 450 and 512 business band, which is Part 90 accepted.
CH 16 462.5750 WHITE DOT PART 90 & 95
CH 18 462.6250 BLACK DOT PART 90 & 95
CH 20 462.6750 ORANGE DOT PART 90 & 95

Last edited:

Gunnar_Guy

Since you are bringing up the MXT400, it is a narrowband radio only as well. Check the grant at:

FCC ID MMAMXT400

Who is Roger French and by what authority can he claim that there is a legacy authorization for 20 KHz bandwidth for radios that clearly are certified only for narrow band, and actually just barely at 10K5F3E. If you parse through his statement he really says nothing in the last half of his statement. It is law school weaselwording at best. Read it again. He says "up to 20 KHz BW". It would not surprise me if the software that is in the wild does not actually increase the TX deviation of the MXT400. If it does, it is an illegal modification.
If you read the response from Midland they switch from talking about authorized bandwidth to channel spacing. It doesn't say that MXT400 can do wideband just that it adheres to channel spacing. I don't have an MXT400 to experiment but I wonder if this mod is changing something with the channelization or just changing the VFO step size from 12.5 KHz to 25 KHz. Not sure how that would affect anything GMRS since I presume the radio's channel frequencies are fixed and unchangeable. So flipping a bit in the radio might do something if the firmware allowed access to the VFO, which would require flashing different firmware most likely. That might be possible since the radio is probably an adaptation of some common chassis that Baofeng/TYT/whomever sells under various models, one of which is probably a wide open ham radio that would allow front panel access. It would be completely meaningless from a regulatory standpoint since it would no longer be valid under the original grant for GMRS. It's possible Midland has a firmware bug that this is actually changing the bandwidth but their law talking people would surely not confirm that is the case with respect to FCC documents that only tested for narrowband and it seems really dumb that they'd publicly tell you how to exploit it.

Last edited:

RenoHuskerDu

Premium Subscriber
I can tell you from real world use, the Midlands - all of them - sound horrible on every repeater I have heard them. I suppose they might sound OK on another Midland, or a radio incorrectly programmed for narrowband on GMRS, but they are (obviously) low audio, and very tinny in tone.

Just noticed that last night. I picked up a spare Midland to discuss a fire call, my normal HT was already on the charger, and man it sounded like squashed flies were mashed into the speaker. Rebooted it, no better.

Hans13

If you read the response from Midland they switch from talking about authorized bandwidth to channel spacing. It doesn't say that MXT400 can do wideband just that it adheres to channel spacing. I don't have an MXT400 to experiment but I wonder if this mod is changing something with the channelization or just changing the VFO step size from 12.5 KHz to 25 KHz. Not sure how that would affect anything GMRS since I presume the radio's channel frequencies are fixed and unchangeable. So flipping a bit in the radio might do something if the firmware allowed access to the VFO, which would require flashing different firmware most likely. That might be possible since the radio is probably an adaptation of some common chassis that Baofeng/TYT/whomever sells under various models, one of which is probably a wide open ham radio that would allow front panel access. It would be completely meaningless from a regulatory standpoint since it would no longer be valid under the original grant for GMRS. It's possible Midland has a firmware bug that this is actually changing the bandwidth but their law talking people would surely not confirm that is the case with respect to FCC documents that only tested for narrowband and it seems really dumb that they'd publicly tell you how to exploit it.
The Midland Micro Mobiles are basically re-badged CCR radios with custom firmware. By keeping the radio programmed for narrow band, they could more easily pass the certification evaluation. Midland initially did FRS/GMRS handhelds. FRS, of course, is narrow band so I suspect they just stuck with it. Also, IIRC, at the time Midland came out with their first Micro Mobile line, there was a heavy rumor that GMRS was going to go narrow band. Of course, that never happened. Midland doesn't seem to care one bit about what some customers think about them sticking on narrow band and making their product problematic in the radio service.

At the moment, I do not have time to dig up all of the links but there is a programming cable for at least one of the Micro Mobiles. The CCR (Cheap China Radio) OEM programming software has been verified to work (perhaps even CHIRP under the CCR model name). Changing from narrow to wide band DOES NOT violate Part 95 as long as it does not put the radio out of Part 95 specs. By the exact letter of Part 95, 3rd party programming is allowed when it does not put the radio outside of specification. Some of us have discussed this at length on MyGMRS.com.

Hope this helps.

BTW, I still wouldn't choose the Micro Mobiles over most other radios unless there was some very specific need for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.