Midland Park PD & FD Dispatch Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Director of Northwest Bergen Central Dispatch, Jack Tancos, submitted his resignation on Thursday, 10/30 to take effect 12/5.

It is rumored that he came under fire for negotiating the Midland Park deal without first checking with officials in Glen Rock and Ridgewood, the municipalities that jointly own the dispatch center. Finances, staffing levels, and quality of service were said to be open issues in connection with the provision of service to Midland Park.

Director of Ridgewood's dispatch center resigns - News - NorthJersey.com

SCPD

QRT
I don't see how they are going to do it by December 31st. All the existing MCS2000 mobiles will need to be replaced, as well as the 7 year old HT1250s. In November The XTL/XTS series is going to be phased out by Motorola. Ridgewood and Glen Rock went with XTL2500 mobiles and XTS1500 Portables. Be kind of silly to buy radios that are being discontinued now in Midland Parks case. Might as well spring for APX series radios, but who knows. However if that be the case $15,000 would definitely not be enough, as this also includes FD units and EMS units and bases in Fire and PD and Ambulance HQ that will need replaced and several portables for all departments. I have seen some Kenwood P25 portables on Ridgewood EMS personnel, so that is another less costly alternative to Motorola and still P25 compliant.

The xts xtl line won't be produced after set date. Service and such are still present however anyone who has worked for public safety or gov knows large enough order and contract agreement they'll service it some time past general publics options. Motorola is squeezing out as many as they can to make the last buck off it.

SCPD

QRT
Only resignation of position. Will still be a dispatcher though.

The Director of Northwest Bergen Central Dispatch, Jack Tancos, submitted his resignation on Thursday, 10/30 to take effect 12/5.

It is rumored that he came under fire for negotiating the Midland Park deal without first checking with officials in Glen Rock and Ridgewood, the municipalities that jointly own the dispatch center. Finances, staffing levels, and quality of service were said to be open issues in connection with the provision of service to Midland Park.

Director of Ridgewood's dispatch center resigns - News - NorthJersey.com

radiomanNJ1

Never ever do business with the county is still the attitude. Why would you want to have a state of the art trunking system that covers the ENTIRE county not just a borough wide multi user channel.
The UHF T band issue may not even occur. NYC and LA have a big interest in this. Remember it's up for auction and the feds are counting on billions but that is years away if ever.

Midland Park was heard doing Radio Checks on 158.7300 NAC765 and Fire on 154.3100 123.0 Today.

I find it strange that they're doing radio checks because there still is no official deal with NWBCD. The Ridgewood Village Council meets tonight and contract negotiations with Midland Park is a topic of discussion on the Council's closed session agenda.

Never ever do business with the county is still the attitude. Why would you want to have a state of the art trunking system that covers the ENTIRE county not just a borough wide multi user channel.
The UHF T band issue may not even occur. NYC and LA have a big interest in this. Remember it's up for auction and the feds are counting on billions but that is years away if ever.

Police chiefs are fearful that signing on with the County for dispatch & 911 service is a precursor to the County taking over the entire local police department. Paranoia at the highest level.

Maybe now that Donovan (Republican) is out and Tedesco (Democrat) is in we'll see some movement on this issue.

If I recall correctly, Teaneck, one of the most populated municipalities in the County, wanted to move over to County 911 answer & radio dispatch. What ever happened with that?

SCPD

QRT
Midland Park switches gears on 9-1-1 call - Business - NorthJersey.com

MIDLAND PARK - Two months after entering negotiations with the Ridgewood-based Northwest Bergen Central Dispatch, the Borough Council has changed its mind, voting Thursday, Nov. 6, to "continue negotiations" with representatives of the Bergen County Public Safety Operations Center in Mahwah for emergency and 9-1-1 dispatch services to the borough's 7,176 residents.

Found this article. Interesting. I am disappointed they turned down Central Dispatch. Local and convenien

Found this article tonight

And central has dispatched them before. I think knows the town. Oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was all about dollars and cents. There's quite a difference between paying $160k annually vs. $235k annually. Over a ten year period, that's 3/4 of a million dollars.

With respect to the "technical difficulties" issue, I suspect there was concern related to the planned move to P25 on 158.7300. Rumor has it that results from testing are thus far poor. It was hoped that a move to P25 would improve coverage; apparently the testing is proving just the opposite. So Midland Park would have purchased new radios only to find that the coverage sucked.

As time goes by, I wonder if Wyckoff and Midland Park will abandon their VHF repeater a switch over to the County's trunked system?

boxcar123

It was all about dollars and cents. There's quite a difference between paying $160k annually vs. $235k annually. Over a ten year period, that's 3/4 of a million dollars.

With respect to the "technical difficulties" issue, I suspect there was concern related to the planned move to P25 on 158.7300. Rumor has it that results from testing are thus far poor. It was hoped that a move to P25 would improve coverage; apparently the testing is proving just the opposite. So Midland Park would have purchased new radios only to find that the coverage sucked.

As time goes by, I wonder if Wyckoff and Midland Park will abandon their VHF repeater a switch over to the County's trunked system?

Actually, as someone with knowledge on what went on, the decision came down to price and the lack of director at central. But I do expect the price to increase given the cost of the radios needed to be on the BC TRS and other costs not included in start-up.

Central's new radio system and CAD system both out-performed the county TRS and CAD platform. Listening the the tests this week, Midland Park coverage seemed to be perfect which makes sense given the location of the transmit and receive location. In discussions with a firefighter I am friends with, the public safety folks preferred central but could not sway the cost and lack of leadership

I am looking forward to their P25 transition but hope that Midland Park does not got encrypted.

Alarmguy

Former Alarm Guy, turned Radio guy
Premium Subscriber
Does Midland Park have a P25 Mobile on VHF, or were the tests done driving around with a Portable borrowed from Ridgewood. I spoke to someone in the know and they said no radios had been ordered. I would not be surprised if Wyckoff stays on 158.7825. The big question is would they allow Midland Park to stay on 158.7825 if they both go to the County, in light of the split. Midland Park only has a license on 158.7300 and other frequencies in use, but Wyckoff holds all licenses on 158.7825 under KEB440.

Does Midland Park have a P25 Mobile on VHF, or were the tests done driving around with a Portable borrowed from Ridgewood. I spoke to someone in the know and they said no radios had been ordered. I would not be surprised if Wyckoff stays on 158.7825. The big question is would they allow Midland Park to stay on 158.7825 if they both go to the County, in light of the split. Midland Park only has a license on 158.7300 and other frequencies in use, but Wyckoff holds all licenses on 158.7825 under KEB440.

Was the price given to Midland Park contingent on them purchasing UHF trunked radios for the County system, or remaining on VHF with the County somehow tying into Wyckoff's repeater?

Alarmguy

Former Alarm Guy, turned Radio guy
Premium Subscriber
No idea, just found out about it through the record article. I had heard a week ago that it was not a done deal with Central Dispatch.

Unless all Midland Park municipal radio users are moving to the County's trunked UHF system, the County will still need to tie into VHF transmitters/receivers serving Midland Park, including those capable of paging out fire and EMS crews.

We'll need to wait and see if Wyckoff moves over to the County as well. I do not think that Wyckoff is interested in going with Northwest Bergen Central Dispatch. If Wyckoff moves over, I would suspect both PDs to remain on their existing shared repeater. If Midland Park only goes over, they may switch to UHF.

Just heard this afternoon, unfortunately from someone who doesn't know a whole lot about radios, that Midland Park is going on the County TRS. Something about a $50.00 per radio charge payable to the County, in addition to having to buy the radios from a vendor. The source did not know whether it was just the PD going on the TRS, or EMS & FD also.

Status
Not open for further replies.