• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Midland petitions FCC for waiver to allow data Tx from non-handheld GMRS radios

n1das

Found this interesting item in today's FCC Daily Digest:

Released: 2021-10-12. WIRELESS TELECOMMUNICATIONS BUREAU SEEKS COMMENT ON REQUEST BY MIDLAND RADIO CORPORATION FOR WAIVER OF CERTAIN GENERAL MOBILE RADIO SERVICE RULES. (DA No. 21-1269). (Dkt No 21-388). Comments Due: 2021-11-12. Reply Comments Due: 2021-11-26. WTB. Contact: Thomas Derenge at (202) 418-2451, email: Thomas.Derenge@fcc.gov. DA-21-1269A1.docx DA-21-1269A1.pdf DA-21-1269A1.txt

NC1

I do not see anything that will benefit the majority of licensees.
While it may be useful to a few niche groups in certain instances, there are other existing services for which this is more suited.
Getting an amateur radio license is a very simple process, they are easy and cheap to get. You can do data all you want.

W8UU

Pilot of the Airwaves
Premium Subscriber
Call me old fashioned, but the growing trend to make GMRS more than a basic wideband analog voice service brings back the need for specific channel licensing and some kind of a basic band plan. Reserve one frequency for the chirps, data bursts, selective calls, and whatever else in the non-voice world may come along in the future. Standardize a call channel that everyone can use. Reserve a frequency pair for DMR or MotoTrbo (and you KNOW it's coming) and leave the rest of them analog for now. All of that could be done without disrupting any licensed GMRS operator.

This current "do what you want" on frequency use is counterproductive and flies in the face of responsible spectrum management. Manufacturers will continue to petition for incompatible bells and whistles on GMRS wideband analog UHF channels. Given the current trajectory that started with the FRS bubble pack radios, we aren't far from License By Rule which equates to a CB radio style free-for-all and zero FCC enforcement. A planned approach with the future in mind would allow for new technical innovations while maintaining legacy analog wideband systems.

I'm sure there will be arguments against this, but it's just my $0.02.

n1das

Found this interesting item in today's FCC Daily Digest:

Released: 2021-10-12. WIRELESS TELECOMMUNICATIONS BUREAU SEEKS COMMENT ON REQUEST BY MIDLAND RADIO CORPORATION FOR WAIVER OF CERTAIN GENERAL MOBILE RADIO SERVICE RULES. (DA No. 21-1269). (Dkt No 21-388). Comments Due: 2021-11-12. Reply Comments Due: 2021-11-26. WTB. Contact: Thomas Derenge at (202) 418-2451, email: Thomas.Derenge@fcc.gov. DA-21-1269A1.docx DA-21-1269A1.pdf DA-21-1269A1.txt

File your public comments folks!

Comments Due: 2021-11-12
Reply Comments Due: 2021-11-26

NC1

Yes exactly. You wont see this sort of nonsense in Public Safety services.

Probably because it renders the service useless to everybody else not using the data, and it interferes with the original intent of VOICE communication. Having a constant recurring annoyance (data bursts) will drive away the average person who paid to use the service and they will not be renewing their license, so the FCC could kiss millions of dollars goodbye.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Only if you want GMRS channels filled with 50 mS data bursts every 5 to 10 seconds multiplied by the number of radios using that feature.
I scan the GMRS/FRS channels as part of my regular programming. Other than an unlicensed repeater at the middle school around the corner from my house, I hardly hear any traffic. That includes my suburban neighborhood, the 45 mile drive to and from work and my desk in the middle of Boston. I know it can vary geographically, but I think the perceived annoyance that this would cause is overstated.

NC1

I scan the GMRS/FRS channels as part of my regular programming. Other than an unlicensed repeater at the middle school around the corner from my house, I hardly hear any traffic. That includes my suburban neighborhood, the 45 mile drive to and from work and my desk in the middle of Boston. I know it can vary geographically, but I think the perceived annoyance that this would cause is overstated.

There are 8 repeaters around here which are active, some more than others, and I can probably hear another 5 that are way out in the distance. Like you, I do scan through quite often. I live ridge top and my TX/RX distance is quite amazing, so with a bunch of constant data bursts from radios from within (conservatively) a 75 mile radius it would be extremely annoying to the point I probably would not even bother with it any more. There are many who live in active areas who would find the annoyance just plain offensive. Would you bother renewing a license for something you find frustrating?
For the argument of family and friends that don't want to get their ham ticket, then I would have to wonder, if they are so tech savvy and oriented, why they don't just get their Technician license? It's not that hard or time consuming. People put more time and effort into what Kim Kardashian is doing than learning something new and bettering themselves in the process. Obviously they are somewhat intelligent, but if you can't pass the technician exam (or don't want to) then maybe they should stick to cell phones.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Try using FRS/GMRS in Manhattan or Yellowstone Park. The channels are jammed. In Yellowstone it was constant "rodger beeps" .

RFI-EMI-GUY

The data will discourage radio users from openly monitoring channels in wilderness areas reducing livelihood that emergency voice calls will be heard.

Note there is no wilderness protocol to select a given channel or squelch code.

K6GBW

Does anyone know the correct way to comment on these things? I don't generally bother but on this particular matter I'd like to chime in. I visited the FCC website and spent some time but it's not immediately obvious how to do this.