Midland WR-120 alerting methods

Status
Not open for further replies.

baybum

I have a WR-120. If I plug one of those strobe lights into it, will it...
Strobe while receiving an alert in DISPLAY mode?
Prevent the audible alert from sounding in VOICE mode?

Is there a way to disable the audible alert, and still hear voice during an alert, without touching the unit?

Thanks

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
The info below is from the Midland website. It appears that the received audio will be heard only with the VOICE setting and that the alert tone and received audio are linked. Be aware that even if you are able to suppress the built-in alert tone, the received audio from NOAA contains a loud initial tone that you would still hear.

Alert Type Descriptions -

DISPLAY: When the DISPLAY alert type is chosen, only a text alert will scroll on the display. There will be no audible alarm.
VOICE: When the VOICE alert type is chosen, the alert tone will sound for 8 seconds, then you will hear the voice of the weather broadcast for 3 minutes.
TONE: When the TONE alert type is chosen, the alert tone will sound for 3 minutes, or until you press any button.

baybum

Yes sir, I have the manual. I understand that a tone will be heard with the transmitted voice message.
I'm asking about the loud alert that the unit puts out. Does anyone know of a way to suppress that, and still hear the voice message?
And...does plugging in the strobe light disable that loud alert?

chief21

Premium Subscriber
While I have owned several different Midland WX radios, the manual is the only info I have with regard to the alert tone.

As far as I can determine, the strobe light appears to be powered by its own batteries and it appears that the radio connection is simply a switch closure that activates the strobe. You could probably simulate the strobe light connection with an appropriately-sized plug - just to see if there would be any corresponding affect on the alert tone.

baybum

Thanks for all the responses. I guess I'll rephrase.
If anyone has a Midland, and a strobe light, can you tell me if it strobes in DISPLAY mode, during an alert?
And...when in VOICE mode, does the unit's loud alert sound as well as the strobe?

Thanks again

a417

U+0000
the manual provides you with a technical support contact page, this question might be best directed towards the manufacturer.

baybum

The manual does not provide the answer I'm looking for. I am using this forum to reach out to an actual user for his/her actual experiences on the topic.
Thanks

chief21

Premium Subscriber
If anyone has a Midland, and a strobe light, can you tell me if it strobes in DISPLAY mode, during an alert?
And...when in VOICE mode, does the unit's loud alert sound as well as the strobe?

@baybum Using a Midland WR-300 (a later version of the WR-120), I can confirm that 1) the external alert jack is merely a switch closure and 2) the external alert switch closes whenever the receiver alerts... regardless of the alert mode. Therefore, the answer to your queries appears to be "Yes".

Status
Not open for further replies.