Midlothian/Red Oak Site on FWRRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
I finally added the Midlothain/Red Oak site for the FWRRS to my scanner to see if there's any hits on the site, showed it was totally out of range for me, even with a discone. Is the site actually active yet or am I just out of range here in NE Tarrant county?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I finally added the Midlothain/Red Oak site for the FWRRS to my scanner to see if there's any hits on the site, showed it was totally out of range for me, even with a discone. Is the site actually active yet or am I just out of range here in NE Tarrant county?
I'm in southern Dallas County, and at the moment, I am not seeing a signal at all. The Midlothian site locations are on fairly high ground, so you might be able to hear it when active. I have a decent signal path to both the Red Oak as well as the northern Midlothian sites, but no reception at the minute. I am using a rooftop antenna (connected to my 536HP).

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Are you guys searching the whole 769-775 band for a control channel or only going by what is in the database?
Tom,
I'm using the frequencies that are listed in the license issued by the FCC some time back. The ones in the database match what was on the license issued.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
Are you guys searching the whole 769-775 band for a control channel or only going by what is in the database?

No sure how to do that. Just using the discovery mode on my 436. I'm going by what's in the database

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

favin

Premium Subscriber
I'm seeing the system control channel on 773.15125 using DSD+. There has been some traffic in the past two weeks with the fire and police departments doing some range and location testing. I understand there was radio user training provided in the past week or so.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
I'm seeing the system control channel on 773.15125 using DSD+. There has been some traffic in the past two weeks with the fire and police departments doing some range and location testing. I understand there was radio user training provided in the past week or so.

Do you see a constant signal on that site or just when they're active?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I guess I may have been overoptimistic on whether or not I could hear the Midlothian/Red Oak layer. Unless they are only operating the system during testing, which I have not heard, I'm not getting even a hint of the control channel from home. I may need to change antenna strategies.

favin

Premium Subscriber

Now that I look at the sdr frequency, it is actually showing a frequency of around 773.18125. I assumed it was 773.15125 actual but with some converting needed on the sdr.

It is a constant control channel. Seeing it still this morning. BEE00.44A-1.10 Just had a system ID- BSI=WQYW906 Ch=769.83125

FCC license shows 773.18125 instead of 773.15125. I'm not sure if there was a frequency change or an error somewhere.

Last edited:

nd5y

FCC license shows 773.18125 instead of 773.15125. I'm not sure if there was a frequency change or an error somewhere.
Your SDR is probably off. 700 MHz frequencies should match the band plan at https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/700_MHz_Public_Safety_Band_Plan and what is on the license.

It's possible that a public safety trunked system could be using 700 MHz State License frequencies that will not appear on a license but should still be frequencies in the band plan

Last edited:

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know why this site doesn't show up on the database to program in Sentinel? I get there's no talk groups, but someone really should add it so others will know it's even a thing in hopes we'll start that process of adding new stuff.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Anyone know why this site doesn't show up on the database to program in Sentinel? I get there's no talk groups, but someone really should add it so others will know it's even a thing in hopes we'll start that process of adding new stuff.

This has come up many times before, beginning with the original Home Patrol (aka HP-1). UPMan has stated several times that Sentinel ignores systems that have no identified talkgroups, because if the system was added by a novice user, nothing would be received.

However, the system can always be added manually, then set to ID Search to look for talkgroups as they are added. In the case of the Midlothian/Red Oak layer on FWRRS, that site is listed on FWRRS, but there is no corresponding section of talkgroups associated with it. What I have done is split that site off into a new system, with only that site, then set it for ID Search, and added a placeholder dummy talkgroup so that the system will be scanned.

favin

Premium Subscriber
I have some preliminary talkgroups based upon the testing I have monitored, but am not ready to confirm. However, the testing talkgroups indicate 73xx for talkgroup IDs.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have some preliminary talkgroups based upon the testing I have monitored, but am not ready to confirm. However, the testing talkgroups indicate 73xx for talkgroup IDs.
Which control channel frequency are you seeing. Also, is it up all the time, or only when testing is taking place?

Looks like I may have to make changes, or add to, my antennas in order to hear this system.

favin

Premium Subscriber
Which control channel frequency are you seeing. Also, is it up all the time, or only when testing is taking place?.

773.18125 CC up all of the time for the past two weeks.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
773.18125 CC up all of the time for the past two weeks.
Thanks. I'll see what I can do to improve reception on the system. I have a couple of unused yagi antennas that I could point one towards Red Oak. I would not try for Midlothian, since aiming that way, from my house, would also aim 'thru' the Cedar Hill antenna farm. Talk about some strong interference!

Status
Not open for further replies.