might be a stupid question.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The only stupid question is the one never asked

WT, I hope this helps, if not, let me know & I'll post some more, okay?

Radio Spectrum

Most scanner/receivers cover up to 1.3 GHz, Some go as high as 2.0 GHz, however the following go up to 3.0 GHz.

Tabletop
AOR AR5000A+3B
AOR AR8600MARK IIB

ICOM PCR-1500
ICOM R-1500
ICOM PCR-2500
ICOM R-2500

Portable
AOR AR8200MKIIIB

ICOM R20

www.aorusa.com

www.icomamerica.com

www.uniden.com

FLRAILMAN

Last edited:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
generally speaking...what are the freqs above 900mhz used for? aside from like home phones and pagers. if there's recievers that monitor up to 3300mhz....

Well, you already received a pretty decent answer as to what that spectrum is used for. What's unanswered is why manufacturers see fit to offer receivers that go that high in frequency for consumer use. Above 960, there's very little that's listenable outside the amateur bands. Analog satellite stuff is disappearing, cellphones are unmonitorable for several reasons, and just about everything else is digital, or multiplexed, or encrypted, or non-voice traffic, or... or... or.

n5ims

The "Why" question generally boils down to a simple marketing issue. Company A's receivers go to 1 GHz so company B must go there or higher, even if there's nothing much to listen to there. The top end boils down to what's the highest frequency the design can go without adding any significant cost.

Now, I'm sure that none of the companies actually do this <cough, cough>, but if there's nothing to receive at the highest frequencies, it really doesn't matter how good the design really performs up there, as long as the company can make it sound like it would work well there, if you had a signal to receive.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
generally speaking...what are the freqs above 900mhz used for? aside from like home phones and pagers. if there's recievers that monitor up to 3300mhz....
This is a very broad question. Perhaps you mean to ask what is above 900 MHz that our scanners can actually receive. Or perhaps you mean to ask what is between 900 MHz and 1.3GHz which our scanners can receive.

AM & FM radio stations use spectrum in the 900 MHz band to send their signals from their studios to their transmitters. There are paging systems and cell systems in the 900 MHz band. MMDS, an "over-the-air" video delivery system is in 2.3GHz as is a band for remote video signals for TV broadcasters. There is a lot of stuff to monitor, just not the "police and fire" which interests most people.

Here is a different kind of "scanner" for you. It ONLY does 900 MHz to 2.56GHz and runs on 4 AA batteries.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly can you pick up with the above video scanner?
There are 4 channels used for wireless cameras that are also used by Wi-Fi. These frequencies are also used for "baby monitors". Think of any one who uses "point to point" video. It could be a remote signal to a broadcaster or one of the services I pointed out earlier. Most of these signals are weak or are very directional so location is key to reception.

Status
Not open for further replies.