Migrating amateur radio repeaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As you may know we are now accepting amateur radio repeater information into the database. We have a very large amount of repeater information already built into the wiki, and the articles can be found here;

Category:Amateur Radio Repeaters - The RadioReference Wiki

Unfortunately the admins will (correctly) not accept this data into the database without validation. This is understandable; the wiki accepts all data because anyone can edit and correct it. It does not necessarily have to be validated; others can do that.

So it's up to the membership to validate the data found in the wiki. There is a 'submit' tab on each amateur radio page in the upper right - that's where the data should go. Be sure to supply as much information as you can about each entry. As a starting point, the following information ought to be included;

• Output frequency
  • Input Frequency
  • PL or DCS tone (if known) (note if it's an input or output PL - some repeaters use both)
  • Callsign
  • location of the transmitter(s) (county is fine)
  • If there's a club involved, try to provide a link to its webpage

The rest, as they say, is up to you

best regards..Mike

w2xq

Mentor
I would suggest a question be answered before the repeater lists are compiled.

Who is the intended audience? A non-ham scanner listener? If so, keep it simple: output, tone, call, location, county.

If the compilation is intended for licensed radio amateurs, why is RR devoting resources to information already available from a multitude of sources?

Just a thought.

Tom

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you're asking why ham repeater info is being put in the db - it's a valid question - one that has yet to be answered - but this is the wrong forum for it. The database discussion forum would be the place to ask it - if anyone (like Lindsay) would answer it.

This forum is for the wiki only. As such, we have no specified audience, really - any RR member who wants to put in radio-related data (such as amateur repeater info) is welcome to do so. Hams and scannists included. As such, the quality of the data tends to vary widely. Just click on a few of the articles listed in the category and this becomes clear.

best regards..Mike

Last edited:

jim202

I would suggest a question be answered before the repeater lists are compiled.

Who is the intended audience? A non-ham scanner listener? If so, keep it simple: output, tone, call, location, county.

If the compilation is intended for licensed radio amateurs, why is RR devoting resources to information already available from a multitude of sources?

Just a thought.

Tom

I will give you a prime reason for trying to update and provide the information. Probably 50 to 75 percent of all the information available from what you call other sources is not correct. There are many many repeaters that are listed in these sources that are not on the air and haven't been at all or not for many years. Others listed in these sources fail to mention that a CTCSS tone is required to be able to trip off the repeater and make them useable.

This may not seem of much importance to the average person, but someone like me that travels frequently all around the country, it makes a big difference in being able to use these repeaters. I make up a map of all the repeaters along my routes of travel. It contains the frequency and CTSCC (PL) tone to get into these repeaters. In some cases, it has taken me a year or two to obtain the correct CTCSS tone for some of these repeaters. In other cases, I still don't have the correct tone. I can listen to others using the repeater, but I am locked out without the correct CTCSS tone.

Obviously, you don't travel much and don't attempt to use the ham radio frequencies in your travels. It sure breaks up the boredom while driving. You also have the opportunity to talk with new people in your travels. I think that the inclusion of the ham radio repeaters is a good move. No one else is updating any of the other sources of this information.

Status
Not open for further replies.