Migrating to Fastlane from DSDplus

Status
Not open for further replies.

frazpo

I have setup monitoring a 5 channel NXDN trunked system with DSDPlus. I just ordered Fastlane and will be transitioning to it with this system. What is the easiest way to do that? I am assuming I will need to transition the FMP files to the new ones. Haven't they changed it a bit?

slicerwizard

Whenever a new FL release comes out, I back up my current working setup. I do it by taking the entire DSD+ folder and copying it to a new (backup) folder. That way, if anything bad happens, I have a recovery route. Then I copy the new FL files to my existing DSD+ folder. That way, any DSD+ shortcuts I have on the desktop keep working, and the Windows firewall doesn't need to be updated to get TCP linking working.

Hm, if you're upgrading from 1.101 to FL, you'll be switching from FMP to FMP24. Not sure what problems (if any) you'll run into. Shouldn't need to edit anything in FMP24.cfg, I wouldn't think.

I'd say back up your current DSD+ folder by copying it, or make a new folder for FL and copy all of your old DSD+ files to it. Then copy all of the FL files to the folder you'll be running FL from. That means overwriting some old 1.101 files (DSDPlus.exe, some bat files, and so on). Then try monitoring your NXDN system and go from there. FL will follow the control channel if it rotates, don't remember if 1.101 does that.

frazpo

OK. I think I understand how I need to do it. Thanks for the explanation.
It looks like if I simply edit my bat file to go to FMP24 instead of just FMP I will be good.

Also,,on the CC follow. In my current setup my CC FMP file has the CC frequency in the command line.
With this new setup do I need a frequency in the command line? Or if its in CC follow mode will it find the CC in the frequencies file??

slicerwizard

OK. I think I understand how I need to do it. Thanks for the explanation.
It looks like if I simply edit my bat file to go to FMP24 instead of just FMP I will be good.
Yes, as long as there are no command line parameters that need changing. PPM value is -P<num>, but I think it used to be something else (-c or -C?)

Also,,on the CC follow. In my current setup my CC FMP file has the CC frequency in the command line.
With this new setup do I need a frequency in the command line?
Yes.

Or if its in CC follow mode will it find the CC in the frequencies file??
No. You need to tell it where to find the CC. It's only if it later rotates (and -rc is specified on the CC FMP24 command line, or you press C to put CC FMP24 CC into Rest/CC following mode), then it will follow CC changes.

Not exactly useful if the CC rotates daily. There needs to be a way to tell FMP24 or DSD+ at startup what system you want to monitor (protocol, network ID and site)

frazpo

Got it. The CC rotation worked as it should have. Thanks for your thorough answer.

frazpo

Why cant I get my VC FMP24 to take a bandwith setting?? CC FMP24 seems to take.

slicerwizard

You can set the initial bandwidth on the command line or change it while FMP24 is running, but VC DSD+ frequently retunes VC FMP24 (to trunk voice channels) and re-sets the bandwidth at the same time.

The latest change log says you can override this:

FMP24 2.19

-b-<bw> bandwidth locking command line option added

Example: -b-12.5

When this option is used, FMP24 ignores bandwidth hints from DSD+;
use this option to manually control bandwidth in -rc and -rv modes

frazpo

OK, I was simply leaving out the dash behind the b in the command line. I didn't see that anywhere.
I was just using -b7. -b-7 seems to work. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.