Mil Air 'AM' with BC890XLT

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIZ6

Does anyone know of any workarounds/mods for getting the BC890XLT to switch to 'AM' when I program in a frequency between 138-148mhz? Even if it's a permanent mod that restricts using FM elsewhere. I like the fact I can use this scanner for 225-400 AM air mil but wish I could do something about the VHF range. I use a BCT15 in the shack which is great but would like to utilize the old BC890XLT (have two actually) for other locations. Any tips??

cjrjr507

No mod for that !

TIZ6 said:
Does anyone know of any workarounds/mods for getting the BC890XLT to switch to 'AM' when I program in a frequency between 138-148mhz? Even if it's a permanent mod that restricts using FM elsewhere. I like the fact I can use this scanner for 225-400 AM air mil but wish I could do something about the VHF range. I use a BCT15 in the shack which is great but would like to utilize the old BC890XLT (have two actually) for other locations. Any tips??

Hi TIZ6

Sorry, I know of no mod for what you want. I have that radio. There is a mod for restoring
800 mhz cell phone frequencies but that was for older BC890xlt's. Mine won't do it.

Hope this helps.
Cecil
P.S 138-148 mhz is wrong. It's 137- 143.995 FM only and 144-148 2 meter ham radio
And I wish it had 240 mhz - 280 mhz fm mode for milsat's. It does but only AM, Rats!

N1BHH

Actually military air can pop up anywhere on AM between 138 and 150.75. I have heard them on 142.2, 150.1, and a number of others utilizing AM. Yes the amateur radio band (2 meters) is 144-148. The military can use that, but they have more government frequencies that can be used.

TIZ6

Thank you Clyde. I knew when I posted query I had a better chance of being "corrected" for looking for AM mil traffic in this band of frequencies than I would for actually finding the requested mod but figured I'd take a shot at it anyway. ;)

For my purposes the frequencies I am interested in fall in the 138-143 range. Fortunately my BCT15 works for this purpose but sure would be nice to have have a backup.

Navairboss

TIZ6 said:

Sorry but there are no mods to program AM in the VHF high band 138-150.8 MHz. That is why it is not recommended as an airshow scanner in the annual MT Airshow Guide (link to the online article at the blog URL below). If the scanner is not on that list, it can't programmed or modified for AM in that freq range, therefore not usable at airshows.

Sorry the news isn't better.

73 de Larry

TIZ6

Thanks, Larry. I didn't expect the news to be good but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

At the time I bought it, 1995, it seemed like a great scanner for air-military, but at that time I assumed all the military stuff was on the UHF band and all the civilian traffic was on VHF. Woops. Nor was I aware of the mode limitation on VHF until much later. Woops x2.

BTW I wouldn't try carrying something its size to an airshow regardless. A good handheld on the MT Guide approved list is somewhere in my future I guess. I have a BC246T but it doesn't receive UHF air. The BCT15 is fine but not fun to carry around.

Again thanks for the response and yeah... the free Guide is awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.