Mil-Air frequencies in WNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
Lately I've been trying to find something new to scan in Western NC and started searching the Mil-Air band with my BCT15. I have occasionally seen Blackhawk and Chinook(sp?) helicopters training in mountain operations I assume around the house. Any idea of where they are flying from/to and what frequencies I could montior? I live north of Asheville in Burnsville.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Asheville Airport UHF Freqs: 269.5750 351.8000
UHF Emergency "Gaurd": 243.0000
U.S. Forest Service UHF: 415.2750

Hope this helps some

Youll also see Cobra/Sea Cobra's from Asheville, as well as a couple of old Huey Slicks... A couple of USCG Dauphines, as well as the weekly NAVY AWACS P-3's....

Last edited by a moderator:

jpa

Sorry I'm not posting a reply here..........can't figure out how this all works with the posting on previous threads?????????

I can not find where I started out with trying to find-- Someone in my area?-- and had replies froma few .........read them and was working on understanding the replies, but it has been maybe a week or more before I had time to get back to them .......Pls help me find them and also what I could do to keep them somewhere to refer back to.....TKS

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply. I'll program those frequencies and see if I can hear anything.

Mojo

There are some training ops that insert Ranger trainees into Georgia from Fort Campbell, Kentucky; also, there are some low level C-130 ops around zero dark thirty hours. MAMA flights would be affected.

BMT

The C-130 flight are probably MC-130's from Eglin,Hurlburt or Duke. They have been known to set up a FARP at KAVL.
The Ranger trainee's are from Ft. Benning,Ga.

BMT

LarrySC

Go to a county airport flight service and buy an area map. They may have more that one to pick from. Look for the "Snow Bird MOA" between Avl and Knox'vl. Lots of refuel comms from aircraft out of Tenn Air Nat guard out of Alcoa. Fighters from Shaw AFB fly up and play top gun and refuel. One Pri Forest freq is 168.650 Asheville Dispatch.

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
I've been listening for several days now and haven't heard anything on the frequencies given. I guess I'm too far out to hear alot of the asheville airport stuff. I can however pick up a lot of comercial and private planes on VHF (120-135 range) but nothing on UHF.

Status
Not open for further replies.