MIL AIR in Metairie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all
I have a PRO-97. Can this monitor MIL AIR?

And would I be able to hear anything in this area? I occasionally see a pair of Eagles or Warthogs (strafing targets on Veterans Blvd?) from Belle Chase I guess.
And a C-5 or C-17 flew over the other day.

What about after the hurricane when there were 100 helicopters in the air at once. Were they on MIL AIR channels?

Thanks
Jon

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Jon_in_Metairie said:
Hi all
I have a PRO-97. Can this monitor MIL AIR?

Yes, given the right antenna. Rubber ducks are horrible antennas. Are you using this in a home, mobile, portable, what? You live in an apartment, condo or home? More specifics, please.

Jon_in_Metairie said:
And would I be able to hear anything in this area? I occasionally see a pair of Eagles or Warthogs (strafing targets on Veterans Blvd?) from Belle Chase I guess.
And a C-5 or C-17 flew over the other day.

What about after the hurricane when there were 100 helicopters in the air at once. Were they on MIL AIR channels?

Possibly - sounds like some sort of exercise was in progress. I'd start by checking in with the Milcom group on qth.net, and see what you might have in your area. Your local ARTCC freqs (I believe Memphis or Atlanta would cover your area, but I'm not entirely sure of that), some of which will be on MilAir, would be a likely place to start. The Wiki has each of the 20 centers linked into our databases.

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/ARTCC

73s Mike

Last edited:
ok well i have answers and more questions
i have a 800Mhz duckie antennae and a stock duckie and an aerial one

Q1: would the stock duckie give better lowfreq response than the 800Mhz duckie? this is what i use when i drive around

i also live in a house with other houses around and the aerial antennae is one from Radio shack it can also be a ham antenna
butit looks like an upside down christmas tree with some other radials around it about 2' diameter x 3 feet tall
i have other questions about its increased performacve if i raise it on a pole attached to soffit??
but now it is laying the grass
i ask about the milair cause i read about space ranging? the way different scanner scan in steps
what does ARTCC mean what they do?
also the copter excereise here a year ago was saving people from the roofstops
i luckily wasnt so then i was wandering what the air chatter and search and rescue soudned like

two weeks later i got my first scanner
thanks again man
peace

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Jon_in_Metairie said:
ok well i have answers and more questions
i have a 800Mhz duckie antennae and a stock duckie and an aerial one

Q1: would the stock duckie give better lowfreq response than the 800Mhz duckie? this is what i use when i drive around

Both antennas would basically work very poorly at low freq - the 800 Mhz duckie is not tuned for 40 mhz or so, and neither is the stock duckie. A good mobile antenna will do better, however you should keep in mind that it's simply not possible for one antenna to do it all well - there will be some compromises. This is probably a better topic for the antennas forum.
Jon_in_Metairie said:
i also live in a house with other houses around and the aerial antennae is one from Radio shack it can also be a ham antenna but it looks like an upside down christmas tree with some other radials around it about 2' diameter x 3 feet tall i have other questions about its increased performacve if i raise it on a pole attached to soffit??

Again this is a question best put on the antennas forum, but yes, it would work far better getting it up off the ground, and in the air. The higher in frequency you go, the more the kind of coaxial cable you use to connect it makes a big difference - using cheap cable will lose much of your desired signal, particularly at 800 mhz.

Jon_in_Metairie said:
i ask about the milair cause i read about space ranging? the way different scanner scan in steps what does ARTCC mean what they do? also the copter excereise here a year ago was saving people from the roofstops i luckily wasnt so then i was wandering what the air chatter and search and rescue soudned like
two weeks later i got my first scanner
thanks again man
peace

I have no idea what you're talking about re 'space ranging'. However, different freq ranges do indeed have different steps, and that should be laid out in the manual.
Basically, an ARTCC controls and directs flights above and between certain altitudes; keeping them apart a safe distance, giving them vectors and other traffic related to getting an aircraft through their airspace. Mil flights use these freqs for the same thing, as well as keeping aware of what civilian traffic might be in their general vicinity.

We have a number of very good folk over on the Antennas forum; since you seem to have numerous questions on the topic, I'd start there. Take your time, there's a great deal to learn. 73s Mike

Thanks for all the good info
i will try to make it over to the antenna forum i do have these questions
what about AM thats what airnav radio uses? it is line of sight?
if it is then how can i hear say the airport if the earth is round and buildings in between
would antennae not work as well inside house do to line of sight block?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yes, freqs up this high are basically line of sight (they can and do propagate further, but that's a discussion for another topic - specifically the Skip forum...) Getting the antenna up nice and high away from objects and trees will insure that it can hear everything it can without having to work against buildings and such. Yes, indoor antennas don't perform nearly as well as outdoor antennas because of signals being blocked by metal siding, flashing on roofs, ect.

73s Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Possibly, or the RS ground plane that sold for about USD25. Either way, the rule is get it off the ground and in the air. Works much better that way. 73s Mike

yes i did a search and it is the DISCONE antenna
i was given it as a gift is this agood one or bad one?
what could i do differently with an antenna like this as opposed to duckies

thanks yall

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This is. once again, a topic for the antennas forum. I haven't heard much about the RS discone, but if you get it up in the air and feed it with the right coax, you should start hearing. Duckies are made to be portable antennas, and as such, are compromises - they really don't work very well across a wide range of frequencies. A discone is designed to do exactly that, even though they aren't very portable.

Please, if you have further antenna questions, jump on over to that Forum - that's what it's there for. 73s Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.