Mil Air monitoring Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

xantegh

Hi Rich @N9JIG & Team,

I was wondering if you can help me find the page on RR where you often store the found Mil Air frequencies, as Rich mentioned during the Scanner Guys show?
Unfortunately, I'm not finding the right page where I can get the updated information.

This wiki page is not found anymore
This one was last updated in 2016
This one has just few frequencies and I've never seen it updated.

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
It is going to depend upon your local area. Rich is in Arizona. The mil air frequencies for Arizona is in the Arizona database page under areawide frequencies.

The same would be true for whatever state you may reside (I'm on my phone, so I can't see your location). Also check the wiki for your state, there may or may not be a page dedicated to mil air.

Remember, the difference between the database and the wiki is that the database is VERIFIED while the wiki may or may not be

spacellamaman

Remember, the difference between the database and the wiki is that the database is VERIFIED while the wiki may or may not be

which is an easily overlooked distinction. prob 75% of Milcom that there is the potential to monitor are by their very nature virtually unverifiable by any definition.

for example for my area, i have a considerable number of common/frequent use frequencies that i pay close attention to, i can tell ya that for example, activity on 70.400FM is going to be H64s operating in Alert Area 531 and surrounding areas, based on tail numbers and internet research, generally can tell ya what unit they are likely with, i can even recognize the pilots voices.

but there aint a single thing i listed that is verifiable.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I suspect you would be much better off putting an inquiry in our Washington state forum....

You didn't say anything about what gear you're using but unless you are really close to a base or air route, a handheld with a duckie isn't going to cut it. A wide band antenna like a Discone or an Omni-X mounted nice and high, fed with good coax, and maybe some filtering (if you are near an urban area) is a start. And while many scanners work fine as milair scanners, the big push these days is in SDRs.

Mike

empireco

yup, thats where the highly intelligent and extremely good looking go to post their unverifiables, or so i have heard...
If you're who I think you are, you post some of the best Mid band and VHF Lo intercepts and .Mil helo A/A freqs in general on that site I've ever seen!
You live in the middle of a goldmine!

I get some pretty good stuff here in central KY too but I'm afraid to post frequencies because I'm afraid they will QSY if they find out they are being monitored.

dzirzow

Premium Subscriber
Zipscanners site says you need digital scanner to get all mil aviation bands. I thought the air bands still all analog? someone please help clarify?

empireco

Zipscanners site says you need digital scanner to get all mil aviation bands. I thought the air bands still all analog? someone please help clarify?
There is some digital encryption used but for the majority of traffic especially the routine stuff it's still analog AM Mode.

dzirzow

Premium Subscriber
I’m at work and iPhone cutting out link to copy. Can later when on laptop or home. However go to their site then click on learn, buyers guide, then aviation scanner guide and chapter 4 and later.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This publication claims that the military is using Phase 2 - this is largely inaccurate. Most every base that is using a trunked system is Phase 1. (see chapter 4). They evidently don't understand the difference or it's a ploy to get folks to buy a more expensive scanner

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
They also evidently haven't a good handle on how far out you can hear a flight - I'd give this supposed guide a pass. Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.