Mil-Air Tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobWeb

In case anyone is big into Mil-Air, I read in the paper that a whole slew of aircraft are leaving for Iraq from Buckley tonight just after midnight. FYI.

NeWcS

Did you hear anything and on what freqs? I love MilAir but never really hear anything. If you have any active freqs for MilAir i'd love to have them.

Thank you,

-Jay

BobWeb

SlapShot_84 said:
Did you hear anything and on what freqs? I love MilAir but never really hear anything. If you have any active freqs for MilAir i'd love to have them.

Thank you,

-Jay

I don't have an antenna that works for Mil-Air so I can't really listen, although I'd like to. Guess some day I'll have to put one up.

iceman47

The frequencies in the previous are in the High Frequency Bands.
In order to receive these and others, you must have a high frequency receiver such as a shortwave receiver.
To attempt to explain USB transmission.
Upper and lower sidebamds are a product of amplitude modulation as in short wave radio and H.F. Military transmission.
In A.M. transmission you will have a carrier when the transmitter is keyed.
This carrier corresponds to the frequency transmitted.
When the carrier is modulated (voice or code)added, the carrier is modulated and 2 separate sidebands in addition to the carrier are created.
The sidebands will amplify the A.M. signal a maxium of 100%.
Now comes the good part.
The carrier and both sidebands contain the same information being transmitted.
By transmitting only one sideband, we can apply all of the power to that one sideband without waisting it in the carrier and the opposite sideband.
Hence,all of our power goes into the one sideband allowing more efficient transmission.
At the receiver we use a "BEAT FREQUENCY OSCILLATOR OR bfo, to re-insert the carrier so we can demodulate the transmission at the receiver.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Believe it or not, something else to listen to would be the Major World Area Routes for civilian aircraft. Popular frequencies on HF, all Upper Sideband:

2.962 5.598 6.628

Listen for aircraft identifying themselves as Reach XXX; those are Military Airlift Aircraft, usually C130's.

Status
Not open for further replies.