Milair Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOD

Hello All,
I'm new to the forum and hopefully this is question is in the right area. I've been scanning for a number of years and now I can finally put up an outdoor antenna. My main area of intrest is milair butI I also listen to commercial aircraft. I'm looking for advice on the best antenna that meets my needs. I have researched the threads bust must admit I'm still a bit overwhelmed. Maybe someone who has been down this road can share their experience.I appreciate all your experience on the threads,and thanks in advance.

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
Aircraft Antenna's

Howdy

If you will be monitoring a wide band range in VHF and UHF to cover the various 'Air Bands' and most are in the 118~136, 137~144, 225~400 MHz ranges, with a few Federal / State and others mixed into the Public Service Bands.

That said, you have a couple of options and most would go for a Discone Antenna for the 'wide-bandwidth' properties. If you are far away from an airport, you might have issues hearing the Tower, as they are on lower power and typically hard to hear in many (not all) places after you get say ~5-10 miles away.

You can also look at a two-antenna option. One for the VHF spectrum and one for the Mil-Air (225~400) range and either 'switch' or try a 'combiner' approach. My preference is to have a 'dedicated' Mil-Air scanner and dedicated Mil-Air antenna and a general scanner and Discone set up to cover all other bands.

If you have the option of outside antenna's, I would put a couple-three up and experiment on what is the best option for your interest....

Hope this gives you some ideas....

Thx

Bill

R1VINCE

I'm looking for advice on the best antenna that meets my needs.

Well...
Regardless of your location, there are a few antennas out there that will fit your needs, but ill assume youve got some kind of budget going. So here goes...

option A:
Outdoor VHF-Hi/UHF Scanner Antenna - RadioShack.com
I own one of these. This thing isnt the greatest airband antenna out there, but for the price, it does, IMHO, a damn good job. Its almost available at any RadioShack. But you will have to buy some coax for it. If you can avoid the Radioshack brand coax, do it- and get your coax elsewhere reputable. But if RS is all you got-then thats all you got.

option B:
Antennacraft ST2 Scanner Antenna, Antenna Craft ST-2
If you can wait a little for mail order, then you can get this. Some of the 'hardcore, veteran, milair guys' that have been through all the other designs will swear that this antenna performs better than other 'common' types - and not just in the milair category, either.
I do not own one yet, but I will soon. It already comes with 50ft of RG6 coax(which I would replace with something better). But none-the-less, you can just order this antenna and, minus the mast/tower, your pretty much ready to go once you get it in the mail.

option C:
Diamond D-130J Discone Antenna
I also own this antenna. It is my main choice for listening to everything in my area that can be heard. For milair, it performs flawlessly for me at my location.
Again-there are some diehard fans of this antenna that will swear by this design(not just the brand). The cost is signicantly higher than the first 2 options and you still have to buy coax for it.

There are plenty other brands/designs out there, but i feel that these are the most commonly used antennas for the purpose you ask.
No matter which antenna you decide to get-I STRONGLY suggest you get the best coax your budget allows. The RG6 that comes with the ST2 will get you goin, but there are better choices. If you have to choose rg6 as your coax, STAY AWAY from the stuff at radioshack- as i use to use short jumpers of that stuff(2-3ft) and had all kinds of noise and signal problems until i changed them out with some RG6 from walmart.

Good luck in your research and let us know what you got and what you think when you get it!

zguy1243

Hello All,
I'm new to the forum and hopefully this is question is in the right area. I've been scanning for a number of years and now I can finally put up an outdoor antenna. My main area of intrest is milair butI I also listen to commercial aircraft. I'm looking for advice on the best antenna that meets my needs. I have researched the threads bust must admit I'm still a bit overwhelmed. Maybe someone who has been down this road can share their experience.I appreciate all your experience on the threads,and thanks in advance.

Look up a surplus AT-197/GR discone on ebay. This is the best omni that I have used for aircraft. Built like a tank too.

MOD

Thanks so much for the quick and insightful replies.I have it narrowed down to the Miltenna Omni or the Diamond Discone(unless I can find an AT-197 shortly).

Now onto the coax- Any suggestions? Best place to purchase?

Thanks again in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.