Milair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sjinndoawi

I live here in Delray Beach and would like to listen to Milair but I don't know what frequency range or modulation to plug into or what type of Antenna's to use.. I have a omnidirectional Discone for my scanners. Will this work? Any help would be nice..

Thank you

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The discone will do just fine, so long as it's mounted outdoors, nice and high and fed with good quality coax. If the reports I see from time to time from Jack Nesmith are any indication, you should have little trouble getting milair. You didn't say which scanner(s) you have - this plays a big role...

Anyway, our intro wiki article will get you just enough to get your head spinning :.>>

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/VHF/UHF_Military_Monitoring

and it's almost always best to have some local milcom group to get you started, and Yahoo happens to have a very busy one indeed...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FloridaMilcom/

73 Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Good Lord, 12000 channels across 2 radios- my head hurts. I don't have a 996 (yet) but I know a few that do, and they like 'em, although it's very hard to jump (manually) from one channel to the next if you are doing flight-following. There's got to be a way to make that simpler...

Hopefully you'll use software to load your systems - I can't imagine even doing 1000 channels by hand. I just got the 396 and I think I'd go even crazier than I am already, hi

73 Mike

Sjinndoawi

Yes there are very nice radios and they can do ALOT. Let me tell you it is non-stop ACTION when i run both of them.. Yes I do use software. Just a few weekends ago I spent 14 hours reprograming them and it has been well worth it. I have found out that it is all about timing the radios against eachother when I have them both running. I call it "Offsetting". Lets say I am doing a Custom Search. I will have them watching the same frequency range but one it stepped out at 12.5kHz the other 6.25kHz,50kHz/100kHz,25kHz/50kHz or some divisable all in the same frequency range or if I know were they transmit elsewere I program the other to watch that set of frequencies against the other one. So if someone is frequency hopping or switching I more then likely catch it. Yes sometimes I do miss some things but generally not...You have to be really good at math becasue there is alot to it.

ermin

Sjinndoawi said:
I live here in Delray Beach and would like to listen to Milair but I don't know what frequency range or modulation to plug into or what type of Antenna's to use.. I have a omnidirectional Discone for my scanners. Will this work? Any help would be nice..

Thank you

Hello Sjinndoawi. I hope you got the digital problem worked out for Delray. Please let me know how you do on Milair. I live in Delray also and would like to give it a try.

73 Ed

Sjinndoawi

Will do ED

No my digital is still bad and I run (2) BCD996T Delray Beach,Boynton Beach and Boca Raton are bad... sometimes its loud then the next minute is really low or the squelch opens but no audio click,click just all I hear, a few times i get motorboating But I do like my 996t's so I am hoping this update that is comming will address these digital issues...My R20 is great and I think I will be using it for Milair, CoastGuard, Custom searches plus my R20 is really sensitive I pick up thing that I shouldn't but o'well it is a great receiver ...I just need to find out where the Milair freeks are at and I will let you know...

Sjinndoawi

Forgot

I use a pre-amp sometimes(JIM M-75)..What do you guys think about me using it on my R20? Will it overload it?..It doesn't seam to bother my 996t's when I hook it up to one of them....

Sjinndoawi

Yes Mike, it has a variable gain control(-20dB to +20dB) and band pass filters... Google this and read about it...(Jim M75 pre-Amplifier)

dubir

I have same question
I am using R20 Will the Jim M75 pre-Amplifier it overload it?..

Status
Not open for further replies.