Mileage Check before jail transport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcjones94

So I was listening to Citrus Heights PD today and an officer told dispatch that she was starting a jail transport, and then told dispatch her starting mileage.

I have also heard this on Sacramento PD and Elk Grove PD before.

Why do the officers state their starting mileage before beginning transport?

RadioDaze

I always thought it was to provide evidence against some kind of claim by a prisoner of abuse, such as when transporting a female prisoner. I'm sure there are other reasons. These things usually come about because there has been problems in the past, so the procedure gets adopted. No doubt, a true officer of the law or dispatcher will be along shortly to give us the real answer.

BlueZebra

RadioDaze has it correct. Initially it was done to counter claims by female arrestees/prisoners claiming male oficers had detoured for inappropriate activities.

You noted a female deputy- she is doing it for her own protection, with the same concerns.

Whether or not it is policy or not- that is determined by the agency. But many follow some variant of this.

pathalogical

Our police does this as well, and the dispatcher will also announce the time after receiving the mileage. One occurance where an individual was arrested on the same street as the police station, the starting mileage (usually the last three numbers of the odometre) was given as 123 km and the end mileage given was also 123 km. However, if it took 45 min to travel less than one km, questions may arise.

rakerland

They do it here in my area as well. Usually starting mileage and the time, then the ending mileage and time. Its not just when transporting to a jail, but whenever they have somebody they are transporting.

mcjones94

Our police does this as well, and the dispatcher will also announce the time after receiving the mileage. One occurance where an individual was arrested on the same street as the police station, the starting mileage (usually the last three numbers of the odometre) was given as 123 km and the end mileage given was also 123 km. However, if it took 45 min to travel less than one km, questions may arise.

Was it ever answered why it took so long?

BRIANGRAY

Advising Dispatch o f starting and ending miles

Yes indeed, As the Sergeant in charge of the Transportation Dept in Norfolk Va years ago it was and I am sure still is S.O.P to give the dispatcher start and end odometer readings (miles) I did a lot of transports to metal health facilities when subjects were comitted, transported a lot of females...some of the transports were over a hundred miles away so I would call Dispatch on my cell phone and give them the ending miliage. Rember the Glutus Maxi u save may be your own!

pathalogical

If there were to be any discussions about distance travelled or time, I'm sure it would be addressed internally. As has been said, not just arrested parties, but it could be a witness, non-life threatening injured person and is very close to hospital, senior citizen who has alzheimer/dementia and wandered from home, missing child located etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.