Mileage Marker Change on I 94

Status
Not open for further replies.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Noticed a few days ago while listening to Dist. 15-A North on the Starcom system, the mileage markers have changed on I 94, which I know was mentioned around the boards. Heard a motorist assist the other day, 25 1/4 eastbound near the Deerfield tunnel. I'll assume that's around where the Edens and the Tollway split? May have to take a road trip up that way to take a look at this.

N9JIG

Sheriff
The signs were posted over the last 2 weeks and the wraps removed Wednesday. I haven't had a chance yet to see if the Tri-State I-294 section matches with the I-94 section yet. I do know that the milemarkers on the Edens Spur and Tri-State north of the Deerfield Road Split match the Edens Expressway.

If the mileage on I-94 and I-294 between their two junctions (Lake Cook Road on the north and IL-394 at the south) is much different then they may have used "Magic Miles" to make the numbers match. Occasionally when highways are rerouted and cause a shorter or longer route mile markers are adjusted to slightly more or less than real miles to avoid having to remark other sections. On one such rerouting in PA the milemarkers were 1.1 miles apart to accommodate a reroute that added about a mile and a half to a 15 or 16 mile road.

The new markers on the Tri-State have a small route marker on the top, the word "MILE" and then the integer in the center, and on the 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 signs, the fraction on the bottom. The historic markers on tollways didn't have the route marker and only had integer and half mile markers.

Looks like I will need to get new response maps regardless...

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
From what I read on the tollway website, all of I 94 connects with the mileage markers from north to south. I wouldn't expect 294 to change that much, but I haven't been out there to see if new mileage markers have been installed. I read the I 90 tollway will be reversed soon...north to south mile markers. Sounds like Illinois must be getting in compliance with the rest of the country.

sixtytwo

While new markers have been installed on 294, they don't match 94. At Lake-Cook southbound, the markers change from around 20-ish to 60-ish (IIRC, sorry don't have the exact figures).

Status
Not open for further replies.