Military air activity Wednesday 5/26

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE1C4NSC4N

Premium Subscriber
Maybe it has something to due with speeds? The A-10s aren't "jets" so maybe they will use them for slower/smaller craft?

Or maybe they will be flying intercepts when they are deployed elsewhere, so they just need to practice? They do intercept practice with Seaking Helo's in my area, so who knows.

NY DB Admin
Database Admin
Military flights in area Wednesday

What units in the northeast even fly the A-10 anymore? And why on Earth would NORAD be having A-10s acting as intercepters???

The 111th Fighter Wing, PA Air National Guard, Willow Grove Air Reserve Base
The 104th Fighter Wing, MA Air National Guard, Barnes ANGB had them but switched to the F-15 and took over the Air Sovereignty Alert Mission for New England in February from the VT ANG out of Burlington.

The A-10 may not be a pretty air frame (some say?), may not be that fast, but it packs one hell of a punch and can take a hell of a licking and continue on, which is why the AF has not gotten rid of them. They have tried a couple of times, but there was to much of a back lash, especially from the ground pounders that depend on them.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
ALBANY - The North American Aerospace Defense Command will conduct exercise flights Wednesday over the skies of Albany and Glens Falls.
They will take place in the late morning, so you may hear and see NORAD Fighter Aircraft in close proximity. The goal is to test NORAD's response, systems and equipment.

so what frequencies?

NE1C4NSC4N

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, I was thinking the TurboFan engines aren't jet engines, but it is listed as a straight-wing jet aircraft on Wikipedia, ma' bad :)

And I just have to say I think they're sexy as hell, front view is amazing :D

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
NORAD Exercise & A-10's

Howdy

The use of A-10's might be, perhaps, one of several reasons:

1. Folks 'violating' airspace may-not be using supersonic or near-supersonic capable aircraft
a. Helo's
b. Low & slow types...
c. Ultra-Lights (as recently seen in AZ)

2. As folks content on these type actions, they already 'know' our locations of F-15 & F-16's, et al.. So:
a. They steer clear of those areas, bases that do-not have 'prototypical intercept' aircraft
b. Many think an A-10 or like aircraft can not be used, but the only things they a short on is speed really

3. Also other multiple forms of 'asymmetrical warfare'.....sending 'multiple targets of multiple types'..,at once from different and unexpected points on the compass (interior & exterior)...

So I would suspect this would be one-of-many possible reasons, other than simple test Radar, Response and related decision-tree's....perhaps to 'see' if any of the FAA guys are awake at the Radars and provide ample warning and not let the planes fly past the routes (remember the recent incident a few months ago...) without proper hand-off and comm's...etc...

Just some thoughts and let us know what you guys hear...

Thx

Bill

gralston73

Premium Subscriber
Scanning the milair band since 0930. Not much going on other than the UHF Boston Center frequencies. A tanker in AR-631 was either identifying himself as or was calling "ROYAL-38". A radio test was requested on 321.3. Other than that, nothing. Really disappointing...

Warthog1

Silent Key
The scramble was a two ship flight of F-15's from Barnes, intercepting a C-21 from Bradley.
SLAM-31 flight

The initial reporter who did the story apparently didn't know that A-10's were gone.

K2GOG

0945 local NY time 5/27, 2 A-10's were doing circle tracks over northeastern Nassau County. Concentrating on work was hard due to the roar of the dual GE-100's. No ability to monitor for communciations while at desk.

D

DaveNF2G

I suspected the same thing as Warthog1 said when I read the story. The reporter ASSumed the aircraft type based on old information about the unit to be involved and, as is often the case, didn't bother doing any fact checking before publishing.

K2GOG

after yesterday's spotting of A-10's over Oyster Bay, I researched to see who flies them in the NE still. I am taking a guess they were from Willow grove NAS. Even after BARC, they should still have 5-6 of them.

Picture from June 6th 2004, you can see 6 sitting there on Google Maps. NAS Willow Grove - Google Maps

Can anyone confirm that NAS WG A-10's were deployed? Did not see anything in the PA and Mil forums and no mention on any of the yahoo groups that some people still contribute to. Probably part of Jones Beach Airshow....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.