Military air freqs & civilian ones question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I programmed a few military air freqs that are supposedly used locally, and I noticed they were listed along side the regular civilian air freqs. I don't know much about mil air. I noticed what sounded like routine traffic coming in on a Mil freq. Are the mil and civilian freqs simulcast together at the local airport?

Attachments

• air.JPG
    air.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 37

N9JIG

Sheriff
Some military aircraft, especially transports and those that frequent civilian airports, will have both UHF and civilian VHF radios. Fighters often only have UHF (225-400 MHz.) radios.

Most larger airports will have UHF channels available, especially those that host military (regular and Guard) units. Often they are simulcast when military units are active so the tower would talk on both the UHF and VHF channels at the same time. The aircraft would answer only on one or the other.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Some military aircraft, especially transports and those that frequent civilian airports, will have both UHF and civilian VHF radios. Fighters often only have UHF (225-400 MHz.) radios.

Most larger airports will have UHF channels available, especially those that host military (regular and Guard) units. Often they are simulcast when military units are active so the tower would talk on both the UHF and VHF channels at the same time. The aircraft would answer only on one or the other.
Ok thanks! That explain that! Too bad the air show was cancelled at Quonset Point this June. Would have been some good monitoring.

k6cpo

The demonstration teams have VHF capability. The Thunderbirds did a fly-over of San Diego today in honor of first responders and they were using 141.175MHz AM, just right below the 2 meter band.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
The demonstration teams have VHF capability. The Thunderbirds did a fly-over of San Diego today in honor of first responders and they were using 141.175MHz AM, just right below the 2 meter band.
I used to monitor all the airband activity at airshows when I worked security at the Quonset airbase back in mid 80's. There was lots of stuff to hear both at Quonset and across the bay at Newport base. I miss those days! Much less nowadays.

billybob

Premium Subscriber
I saw the Thunderbird's on my way home from work. No wonder I did not hear them. I was searching Mil aviation band.

spanky15805

Bob, the tower/tracon will transmit on VHF and UHF at the same time on the frequencies listed. It's an "advertised" service, so you should always hear both(if you have two different radios). If you hear one and not the other, check for a NOTAM for something thats OTS.

Status
Not open for further replies.