Military Air Monitoring in Wisconsin

jrkorth

Premium Subscriber
Greetings Everyone, I have been in scanning for a number of years, and after the recent objects being shot out of the sky, I am interested in doing some Military Air Monitoring. I am wondering if there is anyone in Wisconsin actively scanning MILAIR that could give me some pointers or point me to the best sources of information. Thanks Jim N9JRK / WRFU809

Dog

Greetings Everyone, I have been in scanning for a number of years, and after the recent objects being shot out of the sky, I am interested in doing some Military Air Monitoring. I am wondering if there is anyone in Wisconsin actively scanning MILAIR that could give me some pointers or point me to the best sources of information. Thanks Jim N9JRK / WRFU809
Not exactly the area you are asking about but there is tons of information in this thread.

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
I have listened on and off to the UHF Mil/Air in Wi for a while now this listing might be a good place to start.

Best bet is to run a search through the UHF Mil/Air Band 225MHz to 399MHz. This is were you will find most Air to Air activity. If you are in the vicinity of frequent F-16 traffic there tends to be frequent traffic on these channels.

Most of the Helicopters are now using WISCOM to talk back to Base or to each other, their talkgroups can be found under the Dept of Military Affairs heading.

JASII

Memory Capacity
One thing that I would suggest, if you have more than one receiver:

-Use One For Known Active Frequencies

-Use Another One (Or More) To Search For Active Frequencies

When you are actively listening, and you hear activity in the search mode, add it to the known frequency receiver and lock it out from the device performing the searching. (Lather, Rinse, Repeat.)

YoShep69

Premium Subscriber
Join the group on militaryscan@groups.io

Lots of good midwest info there, several from Wisconsin and Illinois post almost daily.

Greg

VASCAR2

Many times military aircraft have transponders turned on which show up on ADS-B Exchange. You can see some air to air refueling aircraft and some times know there might aircraft within listening range.

prowisscan

As to the starter of this thread, Ive been in the hobby of scanning for decades, but never really ventured into this military air band. Is there some commonly used frequencies that can be heard in the Milwaukee area?

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
As to the starter of this thread, I've been in the hobby of scanning for decades, but never really ventured into this military air band. Is there some commonly used frequencies that can be heard in the Milwaukee area?
THis should get you started. I'll do the linking for you: