"Military Airborne Emergency ?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

gvranchosbill

RE:136.9250mhz @ 13:05pst Two Aircraft Talking back n forth Regarding Breaker,Solenoid,Switch
for hydraulic to landing gear fried, Also concerned about flaps. Lots of chatter about gages and
getting a hold of oppie. Concerned about completing mission. It sounds Military i could only monitor
them for about 20 Minutes @ 10 Minutes they were loud and clear @ my location East of Lake Tahoe
Nevada. They are now almost out of range @ 13;25 still expressing concern, and tests are negitive.
Transmissions from aircraft in distress have beeps or feedback in transmission. Wish i could here
more. It is now 13:30pst comms are gone (out of range) he definently had a second aircraft with him
most likley doing a visual inspection under aircraft. Its 13:35pst and iam picking them up again with
carriers or mic stuck, Still expressing concern about completing mission (weak signal) hard to tell what there saying. Did not use any callsigns while i had them in range (oppie) was only callsign or nickname
heard. 13:40pst comms lost,out of range. 13:40pst unknown aircraft calling (xxxxx maintenance) with
what sounds like digital white noise, Then again 60 seconds later heard white noise again no voice.
Any ideas? I have not looked to see if this airinc freq or not. Iam however in the right place to hear
comms to Travis,McClellan,Beale (Pinion #505, Aspen#505) on (UHF) which are U2 and mabye SR71
out of Beale Photo Recon Squadron. I dont normaly monitor Vhf Air so not up to date on freqs, Any
input to curious sounding comms would be good i would like to know what i heard and the status
of this situation.

GVRANCHOSBILL

Hooligan

Um, you're a little too late to be hearing any SR-71s, and there aren't too many military aircraft flying in & out of McClellan these days...

What makes you assume you heard two military aircraft?

Did one of the aircraft mention being in "distress" or some sort of "military airborne emergency," or are
those just your words?

Why couldn't it have been two commercial aircraft?

What in the world do you mean by this statement:

"Transmissions from aircraft in distress have beeps or feedback in transmission."

I guess the first part of the detective work here is to separate what you know from your speculation, since as you admitted, you don't normally monitor aviation.

Closest military operation to you is probably the USMC Mountain Warfare Training Center near Bridgeport CA. They do use helos, as does the Army Aviation Support Facility in Sacramento.

Best thing to do is keep monitoring that freq & gather more intel & less speculation, or maybe someone else in that region is familiar with users of that freq. If one of 'em called a "____ Maintenance" on that freq, it seems like it would be a "Company" channel for an aviation firm or Ops channel for a military unit.

I think U-2s normally prefer to use a channel in the military spectrum for interplane & squadron ops because it'll be quieter if they're flying up high like they normally do, than a freq in the 108-137MHz spectrum.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Lets keep it on topic... No political comments or insults of other members.

rbts

RE:136.9250mhz @ 13:05pst Two Aircraft Talking back n forth Regarding Breaker,Solenoid,Switch
for hydraulic to landing gear fried, Also concerned about flaps. Lots of chatter about gages and
getting a hold of oppie. Concerned about completing mission. It sounds Military i could only monitor
them for about 20 Minutes @ 10 Minutes they were loud and clear @ my location East of Lake Tahoe
Nevada. They are now almost out of range @ 13;25 still expressing concern, and tests are negitive.
Transmissions from aircraft in distress have beeps or feedback in transmission. Wish i could here
more. It is now 13:30pst comms are gone (out of range) he definently had a second aircraft with him
most likley doing a visual inspection under aircraft. Its 13:35pst and iam picking them up again with
carriers or mic stuck, Still expressing concern about completing mission (weak signal) hard to tell what there saying. Did not use any callsigns while i had them in range (oppie) was only callsign or nickname
heard. 13:40pst comms lost,out of range. 13:40pst unknown aircraft calling (xxxxx maintenance) with
what sounds like digital white noise, Then again 60 seconds later heard white noise again no voice.
Any ideas? I have not looked to see if this airinc freq or not. Iam however in the right place to hear
comms to Travis,McClellan,Beale (Pinion #505, Aspen#505) on (UHF) which are U2 and mabye SR71
out of Beale Photo Recon Squadron. I dont normaly monitor Vhf Air so not up to date on freqs, Any
input to curious sounding comms would be good i would like to know what i heard and the status
of this situation.

GVRANCHOSBILL

Deleted.

Last edited:

Warthog1

Silent Key
I thought 136.925 was allocated for ACARS . Maybe I have it mixed-up with another....there are a few.

,,,,,,and how does one become King of all Monitoring ?

gvranchosbill

Airborne emergency?

The reason i thought they might be military is the fact one plane kept refering to mission and another
plane was in vicinty observing and comunicating with plane in distress.

They both had that whining/howling sound i only hear from large jet aircraft.

They were refering to "Opie" Operation's?

I listen to fallon N.A.S. quite often, Not lately though, But they had that Military Lingo/Language.

I couldnt be the U.S.M.C.M.W.T.C. they only according to my map no place to land large aircraft and
as far as i know they use fixed wing and helicopters, I listen to them to "Rawhide" "Laramie" "White Peak". "M.W.T.C. Fire"

The frequency i checked and wrote down as well as entered it as they were talking thus confirmed.

I have never heard that freq talk again since.

I have also noted that aircraft @ 37,000+feet on vhf i can hear for 100 miles plus.

I have been monitoring all kinds of comunications since around 1971 or 72 when i got my first radio
a patrolman 6 multiband (Vhf low/high/Uhf/Vhf Airband) So iam not a newbe, I have quite an exstensive
monitoring system (currently).

It just sounded like it could be military, I searched the rest of Vhf Air no other comms regarding what i heard, I did not search Mil Uhf because it takes to long to go through the whole band, I do think there had to be other comms to a ground station "opie"?, I have heard these type of comms before on Uhf from
fallon N.A.S. and before Moffat N.A.S. closed i used to hear P-3 Orion's Talking to maint or Squadron's
using combination's of Uhf and Vhf.

Anyway i search both bands and Uhf is extremley quiet however Vhf is extremley busy, Here near Carson City iam hearing aircraft talking to Seattle,Salt Lake,Norcal and after checking there #'s against aircraft tracking web site iam finding out who and where they are, The distance is quite far.

Now im drifting of subject, I just wondering if anybody else heard or new what i was listening to, I have no proof one way or the other who they were. If it was a commercial flight i dont think i would have heard a second plane right there with him and not talking to any ground station's on vhf, Which i looked for.

No big deal now this was a while ago.

Last edited:

Hooligan

"OPIE CONTROL" is probably the best clue to nailing the users that you heard, if it was "Opie/Opy" + not perhaps Oafy, Dopey, OC, Oakie, Okie, Hokey, or one of many other words that could sound similar. If it is a military squadron ops or commercial carrier "company" channel, you & others should hear additional traffic on it. I've got the freq scanning in a couple of my scanners used in Nevada & Utah.

OKIE ## & OKIE CONTROL are used by the 507th Air Refueling Wing based at Tinker AFB Oklahoma, but a flying unit out of Vance or Altus AFBs might also use it, though you should be too far away to hear an aircraft directly working a ground station in Oklahoma., and I haven't heard any OKIEs TDy to Nellis over the past couple months.

By the way, it's not at all unusual to be able to hear aircraft at commercial flight altitudes up to about 300 miles away, depending on its altitude & your line of sight radius & monitoring gear.

In the 1940s, the Civil Aviation Administration tested out VHF troposcatter using a special antenna array on a mountain peak (Scarper's Peak) in Half Moon Bay California & a Pan American Airways aircraft with a modified transmitter & antenna. Using a 128MHz freq, comms were maintained until shortly before the aircraft was on final approach off of Honolulu.

rbts

I concur with gvranchosbill on what he heard was military. I've been in military and civilian aviation for over 20 years.

No civilian operation that I know of refers to their flights as "missions".

gvranchosbill

136.9250 am/vhf military?

I concur with your concur rbts, I have been monitoring 136.9250 and after 2 week,s or so i have not heard any further traffic. At my location about 40+ mile's south of reno,Nv In searching Vhf airband have logged over 100 confirmed comm's Thus are logged as what i heard mostly traffic from air to ground based facilty's,They are Los Angeles,Oakland,Salt Lake & Seattle Centers, Also Norcal Comm's refering to mostly S.F.Bay Area, Along with that comms on confirmed freq's such as FedEx,Ups,multiple commercial comm's "Air to Base",Reserving rental car's,Wheelchair's,Lavatory Clean-up, Acar's heard on 131.1250,136.8000,136.8500, Uknown Air to Air involving what sound's like a "Heavy" with that howling/whining sound in transmission, Many,Many small uncontrolled airport's or gravel strip! Unicom in the blind intention's, Only 2 Center ground based comm's i can pick Oakland Center squaw valley,Oaland center tahoe approach. About 5 to 6 years ago i was getting multiple military Uhf Comm's on several freqs from Fallon N.A.S. Top Gun type comms rapid voice and signals from 100% to almost 0% You could tell they were rising and lowering altitudes very quickly 24/7 you could here them and 126.2000 only Vhf air ch heard, but now i dont here anything except what sounds like sat-com's in the south pacific from what sounds like language from the small island's "Somoa?" Any way iam still listening/searching for more.
Also noted at certain changes in the weather contrails visable over Lake Tahoe are Many and I mean Many, A lot of aircraft transitioning this airspace from Flr to FL380+ so iam in a very busy area that i never new till i put some effort into monitoring and tracking them per Flt number or type of aircraft only thing left is acars i have the software just not the correct port as it wont work with usb port and newer p.c. does not
have the multi pin (9?) port. Anyway iam sure that freq will talk again and i might look in the popcom,monitoring times for intercept on 136.9250 vhf.
Thanks gvranchosbill

Last edited:

gvranchosbill

136.9250 am/vhf military?

I concur with your concur rbts, I have been monitoring 136.9250 and after 2 week,s or so i have not heard any further traffic. At my location about 40+ mile's south of reno,Nv In searching Vhf airband have logged over 100 confirmed comm's Thus are logged as what i heard mostly traffic from air to ground based facilty's,They are Los Angeles,Oakland,Salt Lake & Seattle Centers, Also Norcal Comm's refering to mostly S.F.Bay Area, Along with that comms on confirmed freq's such as FedEx,Ups,multiple commercial comm's "Air to Base",Reserving rental car's,Wheelchair's,Lavatory Clean-up, Acar's heard on 131.1250,136.8000,136.8500, Uknown Air to Air involving what sound's like a "Heavy" with that howling/whining sound in transmission, Many,Many small uncontrolled airport's or gravel strip! Unicom in the blind intention's, Only 2 Center ground based comm's i can pick Oakland Center squaw valley,Oaland center tahoe approach. About 5 to 6 years ago i was getting multiple military Uhf Comm's on several freqs from Fallon N.A.S. Top Gun type comms rapid voice and signals from 100% to almost 0% You could tell they were rising and lowering altitudes very quickly 24/7 you could here them and 126.2000 only Vhf air ch heard, but now i dont here anything except what sounds like sat-com's in the south pacific from what sounds like language from the small island's "Somoa?" Any way iam still listening/searching for more.
Also noted at certain changes in the weather contrails visable over Lake Tahoe are Many and I mean Many, A lot of aircraft transitioning this airspace from Flr to FL380+ so iam in a very busy area that i never new till i put some effort into monitoring and tracking them per Flt number or type of aircraft only thing left is acars i have the software just not the correct port as it wont work with usb port and newer p.c. does not
have the multi pin (9?) port. Anyway iam sure that freq will talk again and i might look in the popcom,monitoring times for intercept on 136.9250 vhf. To hooligan okie sounds like it but iam pretty sure it was with a P as in Paul sound, I have map of aerial refuel link ups for this area (Course and Altitude?)
the more i think about it it could very well been aerial refueling but i thought they used preprogramed fixed channel selections on Uhf.
gvbill
Thanks gvranchosbill

gvranchosbill

Supliment info RE: Transmission with howling,whining.....

I forgot to put frequencys for the Air to Air comms heard with howling/whining sound in transmission.
They are 135.7750 & 136.7500 i never here the complete comms (Do to Searching Band for more abnormal Comms) but there using those freqs or Air to Air on regular basis, every time i sit on those channels they never talk then low and behold search stops on those freqs again at end of transmission
not yet able to hear complete transmission, who talks Air to Air using on these freqs on semi regular basis during non fire season, i cant see any reason for civilian commercial aircraft to Air to Air on a regular basis with what is a predetermined ch/freq? Sound like large jet aircraft "Heavys?" Time and patentience always works for me with exception to the 1 or 2 freqs that never reveal there secret's.

"have a good one"
gvranchosbill

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
Unknown Freq's

Howdy

Can you record the various sounds on the freq's as that might help determine what they might (or might not) emulate from on the freq's you mention?

Thx

Bill

gvranchosbill

RE:Can I Record Communication's.................

Yes i could but this time of night i problely wouldnt hear anything, I'l have to rig some patch cables to vox
recorder or research ops on recrd jack on Pro-163 or BCT15 i have been using BCT15 lately because with receive amp conected PRO-163 gets intermod bad from other freqs in same band mixing so band pass wont work but the BCT15 doesn' get the intermod, I thought they were both triple conversion and i beleive tey are i guess the Uniden has a more proffesional grade receiver that i have noticed clean sound on all bands Vhf am seems to be the worst + Vhf low band for the PRO-163 intermod + cable tv leakage has been my worst nightmare here, anyway sliding off topic. I will work on it, seems weekday afternoons and midmorning appear to be most active on these freqs referenced to, Its just a pain to set up because of my multiple cables etc on my semi permanent multi receivers with equal number antenna's w/extra' antennas' for exclusive band monitoring, but i will give it some attention.
gvranchosbill

Hooligan

I concur with gvranchosbill on what he heard was military. I've been in military and civilian aviation for over 20 years.

No civilian operation that I know of refers to their flights as "missions".

I've heard plenty of civilian Air-Evac (Lifeguard) flights do it, same with USFS/contractor flights, CalFire, USCG does it, and they're not "military."

jimvm

VHF Milcom

You should be able to hear U2's on 139.600 MHz AM out of Beale AFB.
I once heard two U2's, one was over Lake Tahoe and the other was over the
Golden Gate bridge in SF. They were ragchewing with each other and the
Air Boss at Beale. Usually hear U2's Monday tru Thursdays, they sometimes
are on weekends. If the WX is bad, they stay on the ground.

jim vm

gvranchosbill

"Military Airborne Emergency?"

This was not a statement of fact! """""""""(?) """"""""''This to me represent's """A Question."""
Hence "Was" this a Military Airborne Emergency???????????????????
Being such an experienced individual as you claim, what was it you claim to be????????????
Oh yeah! "The king scanner radio receiver interpretor,interceptor,ETC"
Seems a little conceted! to me, given the company that are on these site's.
Iam fully aware of what i heard having been doing this since 1974 & my time at Motorola
on West coast doing Trouble shooting & Installs on you name it 2-way radio system's.

I simply stated what was observed or heard and the detail's and facts i relayed in this Question
I dont need the I'am the "Supreme monitorer of all time" stuff.

So i'am done discussing this i have better thing's at hand to do. Thanks for your input.

Have a nice day!

rbts

I've heard plenty of civilian Air-Evac (Lifeguard) flights do it, same with USFS/contractor flights, CalFire, USCG does it, and they're not "military."

King, those are all government or maybe even government contract operations, correct?

Commercial (civilian) aviation doesn't call a flight a "mission".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.