Military Airshows that ban scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

b52hbuff

Just curious what others' experience is at military shows? Last year Travis AFB didn't let me in with a scanner. Ok, so I went out to my car and enjoyed the show from the parking lot. This year, I heard some folks had trouble @ Bealse AFB. Personally, I didn't.

Just curious how prevalent this 'banning' is?

dtscho

Database Admin
I got into the Andrews AFB show this year without a problem. I put the scanner with my keys into one of those small bowl-type containers while I walked through the metal detector. They didn't even ask me to turn it on.

Dave

FPO703

Just sounds like some people being anal about this whole 'Homeland Security' BS thing. If they have nothing better to do, maybe they should look for another line of work.

tbnmaster

FPO703 said:
Just sounds like some people being anal about this whole 'Homeland Security' BS thing. If they have nothing better to do, maybe they should look for another line of work.

No. If you are entering a military installation, you do as you're told. If security forces have been given an order not to allow certain things onto a base, then they don't.

hill

Premium Subscriber
I went to Andrews the past two years and no problems. I took two scanners, backup batteries, and a camera. Had to fill two of those plastic bins. I don't think would attend one if couldn't take a scanner, since that is one of things I go for.

Larry

FPO703

tbnmaster said:
No. If you are entering a military installation, you do as you're told. If security forces have been given an order not to allow certain things onto a base, then they don't.

BAH! My taxes pay for the operations of those bases. It's one thing if I was trying to take explosives or a firearm in side. THAT, they could detain me over. But, for a SCANNER, I don't think so. Don't give me crap about 'Do as you're told' I don't think so.

tbnmaster

FPO703 said:
BAH! My taxes pay for the operations of those bases. It's one thing if I was trying to take explosives or a firearm in side. THAT, they could detain me over. But, for a SCANNER, I don't think so. Don't give me crap about 'Do as you're told' I don't think so.

Which is fine and good. But if you aren't willing to follow the rules, don't expect to get in. AND THEN, don't complain about not getting in. Most rules are in place for a reason. And using the excuse of 'my tax dollars pay for...............' is not valid. There are a lot of things that tax dollars are allocated for that citizens have no control over. Using this excuse doesn't give you the ability to freely break rules. And by the way, I wasn't giving you crap. I was stating a fact.

Last edited:

b52hbuff

tbnmaster said:

Agree totally. I forgot to add (despite any good it may or may not do:) ), that I didn't want to turn this into a 'Tavern' thread.

One confusing thing I notice is that the ban at Beale was for no 'walkie-talkies'. I'm sure the challenge for security is to understand/trust that something that looks like a WT is actually just a receiver. I _think_ but don't know for sure that the Travis show had a similar ban, but when we started discussing what I was going to listen to (e.g. airplanes), the guard questioned the need and denied the request. So did the officer manning the post.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Some airshows advertise on their web pages security do's and dont's.
Upcoming air show June 18 at Willow Grove NAS Philadelphia even mention
scanners permitted...
From the NAS Willow Grove web site...

Authorized Items
All authorized items will be inspected prior to entering the flight line. It is recommended that spectators minimize the number and size of authorized items to reduce the time required for inspection prior to access into the flight line area. The following items are permitted:

PCS/cellular phones, pagers and FRS transceivers (may be asked to turn off / on)
Handheld portable televisions, radios and scanners

Mark
Maryland

MacombMonitor

tbnmaster said:

I think he was referring to the guys that are giving that order. What possible good reason would that have to ban the use of scanner radios at an air show? What next, you have to enter with a blindfold over your eyes?

tbnmaster

MacombMonitor said:
I think he was referring to the guys that are giving that order. What possible good reason would that have to ban the use of scanner radios at an air show? What next, you have to enter with a blindfold over your eyes?

Well, it's the military. You would be surprised. One misinformed person can think that having a scanner brought on to an installation is a bad idea and there you have it, no scanners allowed. No big deal. Don't let the fact that you can't bring your scanner with you ruin your entire day.

MacombMonitor

tbnmaster said:
Well, it's the military. You would be surprised. One misinformed person can think that having a scanner brought on to an installation is a bad idea and there you have it, no scanners allowed. No big deal. Don't let the fact that you can't bring your scanner with you ruin your entire day.

Yea, I know, I know. It's just that sometimes they spend too much time on trivial matters, which distract them from the real threats.

brandon

Database Admin
If you don't know just ask them. The first post 9/11 Miramar airshow I asked about bringing a scanner to show and they replied to me a day later and said it would be fine. To be safe, print out the email and bring it with you in case you get questioned. No guarentees it will change anyones mind if hassled but it can't hurt.

LarryN

South Texas DB Admin
Premium Subscriber
Step up on to soap box.

I'll tell you the same thing I tell the kids when we enter the base. Keep your mouth shut and do as you are told. You give up EVERY ONE of your rights when you enter a military base. If you don't like it do try and enter. There is nothing in our Constitution requiring that you be allowed to enter. THey do not care who paid for the base. It is the price you pay for living in this great country. Personally I wish that they would MORE inspections at the gate everyday. If the gate guard says no scanners then they mean no scanners.

Step off soap box.

avtarsingh

Premium Subscriber
Didn't anyone see the irony that Beale is the home of the Global Hawk - a drone ? hehe

My 8 yrs in the Air Force taught me how to get through mindless people who are not able to read and don't understand the job they are supposed to be doing.

Preventing items that pose a viable threat to the airshow. I took my uniden 300 to the airshow and heard a few comments from people who had nothing to do with Security Police about "no walkie talkies" - since obviously anything that has an antenna must be a "walkie talkie"

The Airman 1st Class tried to tell me no "walkie talkies" and a SSgt walked up (who also wasn't Security Police SP ) and asked about the scanner - I saw a TSgt in the background who was SP and I walked to him and showed him the scanner - I showed him that it had no transmission properties and was not capable of transmitting and was only used to listen to the planes etc. Uniden thought ahead in putting the dorky "NASCAR" because he promptly saw that and said "OK Thank You sir"

Things like this is why I got out after 8 years of the military. It's a lot like every single company out there - you get tired of the mindless people who can't follow simple instructions ..... but that's the same anywhere you go right ? But why do it for such little money and them keeping me in the USA after only 2 years overseas - Since the reason I went in was to see the world - Not sit in Sacramento for 6 years.

:)

avtarsingh

Premium Subscriber
oops typo - I meant my Uniden 330

oh also b52h buff ... we had B52 G Real planes - no cruise missiles :p

b52hbuff

avtarsingh said:
oops typo - I meant my Uniden 330

oh also b52h buff ... we had B52 G Real planes - no cruise missiles :p

So you were @ Beale when the Buffs were there?

N

N_Jay

FPO703 said:

Not the "We paid for it" argument again!:evil: :evil:

Some people just don't get it.

nexus

Hey my tax dollars paid for Groom Lake AREA 51 So I'm expecting to be allowed to come out there with my cameras and scanners right now...

hah like that's ever going to happen

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
i usually goto the air shows at shaw afb and charleston in sc and i have not had any problems and i too usualy go with 2 scanners and extra batteries, however, if they stop allowing scanenrs into the base, thats fine, the show is still worth it, and if nothing else, i'll get there early so i can park close and just sit in the bed of my p/u truck so i can even use the mobile, still a great view, and i see no problem with them restricting whatever they want, it is ALWAYS best to be safe, all it is going to take is one incident, thats bad enough, and there might not be anymore airshows at all, remember after 9/11 a lot of the airshows were canceled up until recently...safety first, we don't see the harm in scanners b/c we aren't going to be doing anything bad, those that might could use it for other means... i'm still going either way...

Status
Not open for further replies.