• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Military Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

N_Jay

I know there are quite a few current and Ex military people here.

I have a question about pay.

As I understand it an E07 with 10 years makes about $40K.

How would this stack up to a civilian pay rate?

In other words, when you compare all the forms of compensation, housing and food allowances, health insurance, educational benefits, etc., what would you need to earn as a civilian to be at exactly the same economic level?

N

N_Jay

Now that we have meandered far away from the question, does anyone have an answer?

N

N_Jay

BMT said:
Base for E-7 over 10.

$35,904.

BMT
http://www.militaryfactory.com/military_pay_scale.asp

About $37K.

That aside, how would it add up in the civilian world

Mil Pay..............................Civ Pay
$37K ................................. $ ? K
Housing Allow ...................... 0
Food Allow .......................... 0
Health Ins......................$300/$400 a month
Taxes................................
Education Reimbursement...........
Etc. ......................................

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Actually an E7 w/10 earns 37000 base, 3267 subsistence and 9540 housing with dependents (most have dependents). Net is about 50k. Your civilian counterpart with 10 years will get closer to 60k in some areas regardless of hunger or dependent status. The housing figures are based on the national average tables, though most housing allowances are figured using variable housing allowance (VHA) computations. These are determined by the cost of housing in regions. Ie, the Chief in the above example would get a VHA in Washington DC (Arlington VA) of 25K but only 15k in my home in Suffolk VA or 10k near my home of birth in central Kansas. Hmm, ought to move back, the cost of living must be great. :roll:

The E7 assigned to a ship for example does not receive the 3267 subsistence because food is provided by the general mess fund regardless if consumed or not. However, when he/she eats ashore, no reimbursement is provided. When the ship is in its homeport, the Chief likely eats breakfast and supper at home. Guess he gets screwed to screw. ;)

If not assigned to a ship, subsistence is a factor, hence the term "brown bagger".

Another factor to consider is, if the civilian works overtime, the pay is time and a half or double for holidays. The E7 gets nothing, however, does tons of overtime. :mad:

There are travel factors to consider also, the E7 gets an allowance based on mileage, subsistence and quarters. Or in temporary duty travel (TAD) gets perdiem. But, none are as lucrative as a civilian is reimbursed for.

jhooten

Just before I got out I was averaging 60 a week as an E-6 in an E-7 slot and an 80 hour week was not unheard of. No overtime.

If memory serves me correct E-7 is about equal to a GS-8 on the federal civil service pay scale.

LarryN

South Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
E-7 is equivilent to a GS-6 in the Civil Service. A GS-7 is equivilent to a junior officer. Most GS-7 slots require a BA degree for entry level positions.

Something else to factor in is also tax advantages. When I was in I save lots of money becuase I was not paying state or local income taxes. Also the "Allowances" are tax free. I am not sure if pa earned in a combat zone is still tax free.

I got out of the Navy in 1999 with 10 years of service as an E-5. I have been working for the Federal government for 5 years. I am just now starting to catch up to where I was when I got out. If I made E-6 I still be trying to catch up. Active Duty troops get paid an ok wage when you compare it equally (40 hour work week, similar occupations) in many cases. Where they take it in the shorts is the extensive "overtime" and deployments.

kf4pep

All pay and entitlements earned in the combat zone are tax free.

This includes reenlistment bonus money, many of our guys reenlisted in Afghanistan and got the $15,000 bonus tax free.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
By LarryN "Something else to factor in is also tax advantages. When I was in I save lots of money becuase I was not paying state or local income taxes. Also the "Allowances" are tax free. I am not sure if pa earned in a combat zone is still tax free."

In the early 70's all active mil had to declare a state of residence and most states started taxing mil personnel. I owned a house in Virginia and only Virginia, thus by the rules, had to declare VA as my home of residence. However, at the time of declaration I was stationed in GTMO Cuba for a three year family accompanied tour. We leased out our home in Virginia for the tour.

We returned to our home in mid 77 and I retired from the Navy on Sept 30 of the following year. Using accumulated leave, I started teaching in a nearby high school in late Aug of that year, while still on active duty.

The dreadful part of the story is while in GTMO, I took an extension course from Old Dominion University, which is in Norfolk VA. The navy paid the bulk of the cost under the tuition aid program.

After teaching for a couple of years, the school board pay office notified me that the state tax collector was attempting to attach my wages for back taxes in years 74 through 77, my years in GTMO. I fought, they won.

NJay mentioned this as a military benefit: Education Reimbursement. Very costly to me cause that is what the state used for leverage supporting their position to tax me for those three years. I.e., the total tuition paid was the amount for in-state residence. Gulp!! :mad:

Robbyboy

Cat Herder
What do they actually do...

Everyone has continued to tapdance around the questions without asking a very important one... What does that individual do and where do they do it?

Certain jobs have larger disparities... For example, As an E-4 Weather Forecaster, I could have made more in the military where I was stationed at the time (New River, NC) or in the civilian side if I were to goto another location.

Rank is one thing... Specific job and location are another... Marine Corps Times (News Mag) puts out an annual comparison from military to civilian... Its interesting at times, to say the least...

This is from someone actually in the military!!

Cheers

SCPD

Depends on their job. A network tech. would make a hell of a lot more in the civilian word than the military. A police officer maybe the same. For my job, aircraft electrician, civilian word. They pay for that starting our is around $23.00hr. base pay.

The military does get "reimbursements" like BAS and BAH but still get screwed compared to the civilian people with the same training and work experience.

scansomd

I retired from the military OCT 2004. I was living in San Diego at the time and had attained the pay grade of E-8. When all of my compensations were factored in, I earned 70K per year (yes, I can back this up with official military pay schedules) Approx 20K of that pay was not taxed.

I have talked to a lot of retired military personnel since then. Depending on their individual skill sets, some make more in compensation, some make less than they did while on active duty.

To figure the total amount of compensation, many factors must be considered.

Base pay, Housing allowance, COMRATS allowance (Meals), 401 K (called TSP in the military) to name a few.

No matter what they are paid, I can assure you that every military member is underpaid. If you’re in the military to get rich, you have chosen the wrong profession. Those who stay in the military for the long haul do so for many reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.