Military Russian Umbrella Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalanalog

been looking at this on eBay.
I have looked around and yes GOOGLED Umbrella antenna but don't see anything to answer my question.

What is missing from the TOP of this antenna, There is a threaded rod section at the top so something is missing, a Disc? a WhiP?

eBay Link

ebayumbrellaantenna.jpg

a417

It is a discone minus the disc. Won't work without it.
Fascinating...didn't know a discone could have the cone elements attached to the trunk/mast like that, what do you think that does to performance/bandwidth over having them w/o the horizontal attachment?

Interesting. I am curious if that disk is something that could be easily fabricated?
As @ko6jw_2 confirmed it's a discone, there are many easy ways to create that top disc that I see. round flat metal disc , small circular baseplate w/ metal radials, etc...

WA4A

The discone is just a modified wide-band half-wave vertical dipole antenna. The skirt (cone) is a quarter wave long at the lowest frequency and the top hat (disc) is the other half. Typical frequency range for military discones are 225 to 400 mHz ( military aircraft band). The gain is less than one, so don't expect any great DX with this one!

prcguy

No, a Discone is related to a Bicone antenna, which is related to a V beam or horn antenna, which are all considered aperture antennas. A Discone launches a vertically polarized wave from the aperture formed by the intersection of the disc and cone.

The discone is just a modified wide-band half-wave vertical dipole antenna. The skirt (cone) is a quarter wave long at the lowest frequency and the top hat (disc) is the other half. Typical frequency range for military discones are 225 to 400 mHz ( military aircraft band). The gain is less than one, so don't expect any great DX with this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.