Military Use of Frequencies Outside of the Military Band

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Just a curiosity question, if the US Government/Military utilizes frequencies in the public band (such as the ones in the below post, in the 458mhz range) do they need a license or some other type of registration with the FCC or are they free to use any frequency anonymously?

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
This may be oversimplification but the military operates on any frequency and mode it wants to. In normal situations they’ll mostly avoid FCC and NTIA freqs that are not allocated for military use. In a national emergency... or likely even regional emergency... all bets are off.

prcguy

For the military to fire up on any frequency anywhere it must go through a frequency coordinator and be approved by somebody. Men in uniforms cannot simply pick a frequency and start operating unless its on a prior established frequency or system.

I have an NTIA license that allows me to operate on any frequency 2-26MHz and several ranges in VHF but only when authorized by someone up the chain and only to support a certain Govt organization. I cannot pick a freq and operate without authorization, even with the wide open license.

ecps92

I've found some of the ships also in the 457/467 band, same as Cargo and Cruise Ships.
Not just the USNS which would make sense, but have found USS with conventional and trunk [see the RRDB search USS in the trunk]
Just a curiosity question, if the US Government/Military utilizes frequencies in the public band (such as the ones in the below post, in the 458mhz range) do they need a license or some other type of registration with the FCC or are they free to use any frequency anonymously?

riveter

Premium Subscriber
There's actually a specific billet in most services that deals with a lot of that as needed, whether permanent or ad-hoc. 0648 Es, 0640 WOs, and 0603 Os all touch various parts of that for the marine corps for instance, so whether it's here or abroad they can dovetail the spectrum use of a MAGTF so it doesn't interfere with allied or host nation ops.

empireco

Currently listening to Pat206A and Pat009 (both BE-20's) over Kentucky on 123.400 have had a lengthy, lengthy chit chat about lots of things for over a half an hour now. They took off from Ft Campbell and are headed NE straight toward Charleston WV.

Over the last week I've heard and logged all day and all through the night LOTS of these BE-20 pilots chatting freely on this frequency using profanity and talking about some pretty crazy stuff being very juvenile and unprofessional in manner.

Even as I type they are on the freq. right now.

I think the .mil does whatever it wants to.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I have heard of some occasional use by the military using frequencies around 50 Mhz (50.2, 50.3 Mhz), which is just within the 6 meter ham band, too. It's not often, but I've seen enough reports of it over the years that it was noticeable ...Mike

empireco

I have heard of some occasional use by the military using frequencies around 50 Mhz (50.2, 50.3 Mhz), which is just within the 6 meter ham band, too. It's not often, but I've seen enough reports of it over the years that it was noticeable ...Mike
A buddy of mine in KY with a higher elevation than me and much less ambient noise on VHF Lo hears them there all the time.
Especially 50.0.

prcguy

I just received a surplus Motorola PRC-153 handheld (Motorola XST-2500) and was surprised when I read the original Marine Corps frequencies in the radio. Most of the frequencies are in the 403MHz range but they were also using 462.050MHz which is for general business use within the US.

spacellamaman

I just received a surplus Motorola PRC-153 handheld (Motorola XST-2500) and was surprised when I read the original Marine Corps frequencies in the radio. Most of the frequencies are in the 403MHz range but they were also using 462.050MHz which is for general business use within the US.

any of these?

specifically

"I recorded a number of encrypted DMR hits on unusual UHF frequencies. I caught quite a bit of traffic on 403.2500, 403.3500 and 403.4500 MHz."

I think the .mil does whatever it wants to.

thats been my experience monitoring them

prcguy

Close, there was 403.025 and 403.050 in this radio but its P25 and its a PRC-153/XTS-2500 radio that was sold to the US Marines.

any of these?

specifically

"I recorded a number of encrypted DMR hits on unusual UHF frequencies. I caught quite a bit of traffic on 403.2500, 403.3500 and 403.4500 MHz."

thats been my experience monitoring them

spacellamaman

Close, there was 403.025 and 403.050 in this radio but its P25 and its a PRC-153/XTS-2500 radio that was sold to the US Marines.

well use by the narcos can only be speculation, as the author readily admits. i think its at least worthwhile to keep in the back of ones mind the interesting similarities, if only due to the useage of an otherwise virtual "blank spot" in an otherwise heavily monitored spectrum. i know if i wanted to be sneaky, regardless of who i was or why, it would have been a top choice. since chris blurted it out to the world tho, i would prob look elsewhere at this point :) time to start searching 174-216 for the "reaaal" interesting stuff now :)

spacellamaman

220 would be a nice spot very few scanners will cover that :)

very true, very true. i stocked up on as many BR330Ts as i could afford when the opportunity presented itself so as to be sure (ya know, just in case) that i could cover as much ground as possible.

i originally had written 174-225 but changed it due to fears of being flamed by every ham who has ever heard a band existed between 2 meter and 440.

they're always so mean spirited about that sorta thing.

prcguy

I have a license issued to me through the US Coast Guard from the NTIA for supporting US Coast Guard communications over much of the HF, VHF band and some VHF air frequencies. I have one callsign for my base station/house and another for my mobile installation. The FCC has no jurisdiction on this type of license, unless you abuse it I suppose.

Is this from the military?

Flyham

I have a license issued to me through the US Coast Guard from the NTIA for supporting US Coast Guard communications over much of the HF, VHF band and some VHF air frequencies. I have one callsign for my base station/house and another for my mobile installation. The FCC has no jurisdiction on this type of license, unless you abuse it I suppose.

Along the same (or similar) lines as a local, county, or state EOC operating on SHARES?

prcguy

Status
Not open for further replies.