Military VHF Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgunz

Ok, yet another stupid question from a newb. As mentioned, most of my experience is military commo.

Is there a commercial radio out there at covers the Military VHF range of 30-88 MHz? It has to cover the entire band, not just the 6M range. It has to be factory, not modified. It would be used outside the US so the FCC doesn't come into play. This is a legit use by the way. It's my understanding that since this is mil, no. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

V/R
mkgunz

WA4MJF

Lots of surplus radios out there that fit the bill. A R-442/VRC would do the job. Remember military is 36F3 and New Squelch
is a non standard 150 cps tone.

Last edited:

prcguy

If the radio covers the entire 30-80MHz range it would be for the military market and you are probably familiar with various models. Several European radio companies make commercial equipment in the 66-88MHz band like Phillips, Pye and others. Motorola also made radios for the European market, I have a Saber III that coves this range. What is the exact use and do you need 5KHz deviation and conventional PL/DPL or 8-15KHz deviation and 150Hz tone?
prcguy

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
The widest range in a common commercial unit would be the old Syntor X9000. They do 30-50 as standard but can be coaxed out of band a bit. I know they do 10 meters but I'm not sure how far they go past the top end.

prcguy

Reading the original post its hard to determine if this is for military or commercial use. Can the radio have coarse 25KHz channel increments for military compatibility or do you need 5KHz increments? Handheld? Mobile? Manpack? One of my favorite military FM manpacks is the Harris RF-3090/PRC-117 series. Its 1w or 10w, 30 to 90MHz, 25KHz channel increments, 5KHz or 8KHz deviation, 150Hz and noise squelch, 8 channels and scan. Depending on the model they can have frequency hopping in 5MHz chunks or full band. You can find them in the $600 on up range depending on condition and their compatible with most common US PRC/VRC antenna and audio accessories. You do have to be aware that US surplus military radios are considered munitions and require an export license from the US State Dept even if its Korean war vintage, no exceptions.
prcguy

mkgunz

This is for a DOD contract to interface with the military. Those id10t's tell us to buy commercial vehicle radios that cover the military VHF band. The company will not buy used or surplus radios. They won't buy radios from Europe either. So if it's not a brand new radio purchased from the US, it ain't happening.

I guess they'll either come out with Change 2 Mod 3 or just give us some 117f's. Thanks all.

WA4MJF

Harris should have some as they are a DOD contractor for such.
I think they're still made in the USA.

A lot of other American companies stuff is made off shore and
a label is put on it making you think it was built in the USA.

prcguy

A Harris PRC-117F runs about $25k and unless you get an export version you have to deal with its Type 1 Comsec and the NSA. Yo might look at Daytron, they make mil radios for mostly export and they should cost much less than something from Harris. See:
http://www.dtwc.com/products/tvhf_hh7700.htm and related pages.
prcguy
mkgunz said:
This is for a DOD contract to interface with the military. Those id10t's tell us to buy commercial vehicle radios that cover the military VHF band. The company will not buy used or surplus radios. They won't buy radios from Europe either. So if it's not a brand new radio purchased from the US, it ain't happening.

I guess they'll either come out with Change 2 Mod 3 or just give us some 117f's. Thanks all.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
While they probably do mean the 30-88 MHz band, there are other 'Military VHF Bands'. Does it actually specify that range? If so, they're talking interface with 'combat' type radios, the field users. Given the 'non-standard' to any other user bandwidth and 'squelch' methods for these radios, you're locked into radios made specifically for the military market, and thus, subject to the $5000 toilet seat rules of pricing. It won't be cheap. (Of course, radios meant to survive field combat are, shall we say, built rather tougher than your average cop's radio, too.)

If they're talking about interface with base military police/security at a fixed base, they MIGHT mean the 136-151 MHz range, where the US Military uses (now) narrowband FM/ASTRO P25.

mkgunz

They did specify the freq range of 30-88Mhz. They also specified that we had to buy commercial radios. Since there really aren't any commercial radio's that fit the bill I have to provide costing of military radios so DOD can decide what they will do. I'm told by my boss that the ITAR isn't a problem either. I'm trying to obtain more info so I can get an estimate from Harris. No one seems to know any other specifics other than freq range.

I'd love to get 117F's but as we have Brit's and South African's I doubt that will happen. I'm hoping Harris has something that will fit the bill.

Thanks for all of the help!

jhooten

The new Harris RF-1033M will do the entire band (and a bunch more). BUT it runs about $5k. And there is no mobile available or Vehicle adapter listed in the accy. So the question is would a hand made vehicle adapter be accecptable?

Last edited:

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Dayton, linked above, makes the PRC-1077 (a newer version of the PRC-77), a backpack radio (approx 2-3 watts) which can be had with vehicle slide in adaptor and vehicle power amp (50 watts). Also various vehicle and on radio antenna options, etc.

This, unless the government gives you radios (probably PRC-77's), is what you're going to have to look at. Price is probably widely variant depending on how many you need.

One of the Chinese suppliers of Mil HT's, for instance, won't talk to you for less than 200 units. You'd have to give Dayton's people your needs, and see what they'd charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.