Milwaukee County Sheriff Unit Numbering

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkescan

Milwaukee County Sheriff freeway squads have new unit numbers / sectors.
I am guessing I have all but one, but odds are it's North West.
Squads say their sector followed by a number. There are some 2xx units out there with no sector name.

Marquette x
Mitchell x
North East x
South East x
South West x
Stadium x
Zoo x

CrabbyMilton

I noticed that too. the first one I heard was Marquette One then Zoo One. First I thought the university joined the MCTRS hehe. I wonder if the parks will have a couple roving squads once summertime really kicks in. As they say, stay tuned.

mkescan

Heard North West, so I guess that's about it, unless they have a Hale.
Marquette x
Mitchell x
North East x
North West x
South East x
South West x
Stadium x
Zoo x

ToDaMax

Premium Subscriber
It really never occured to me that freeway squads even had patrol zones. I always thought it was wherever they felt like. Is there anything on what each zone covers (ie. Marquette Squads cover everthing on I94/43 south of Marquette to some road before it becoems Mitchell Squads)?

Learn somthing new everyday

mkescan

I know SE was 794, sounds like 94 south of Layton is Mitchell. Now it should be a little easier to figure out where a crash is.

Last edited:

Tim

I know SE was 794, sounds like 94 south of Layton is Mitchell. Now it should be a little easier to figure out where a crash is.

...Except when S/East 3 responds with S/West 3 to a crash in the Marquette Interchange. Coming from someone in public safety, this appears to be the dumbest unit numbering plan I have seen. Judging by content of radio traffic heard over the weekend, it doesn't sound like many like the new system...either. There were a lot of "Squad 25...oh i guess I am Stadium 5 now...". With the frequency + tone of the squads and dispatchers, it was definately a statement being made.

Tim

mkescan

I was thinking the same, lot of times some had to correct themselves. Not sure if I heard right, but one squad went in service for his shift, and it sounded like he said he headed out to his Quad, it could of been squad I guess, but maybe sectors are now Quads. Oh yeah, I heard a 5xx eviction squad today on CID 9 (22672) In the past I only heard 1xx for evictions.

...Except when S/East 3 responds with S/West 3 to a crash in the Marquette Interchange. Coming from someone in public safety, this appears to be the dumbest unit numbering plan I have seen. Judging by content of radio traffic heard over the weekend, it doesn't sound like many like the new system...either. There were a lot of "Squad 25...oh i guess I am Stadium 5 now...". With the frequency + tone of the squads and dispatchers, it was definately a statement being made.

Tim

Last edited:

MarcusDude

Premium Subscriber
...Coming from someone in public safety, this appears to be the dumbest unit numbering plan I have seen. Judging by content of radio traffic heard over the weekend, it doesn't sound like many like the new system...either.

Tim

Agreed, the old system was much better, but you know the old saying "If it aint broke...break it"

CrabbyMilton

It sounds like it's now a hub and spoke type system with several spokes much like those of taxi operations where drivers post someplace waiting for a fair. Then when they deliver the fair, they usually go back to where they post or whereever the dispatcher wants them to go.

CrabbyMilton

Geez I'm really bad this morning. I meant a hub and spoke system with several hubs. F-A-R-E not F-A-I-R. See waht happens when I snack too much before bedtime? I don't get enought sleep. :)

ToDaMax

Premium Subscriber
Geez I'm really bad this morning. I meant a hub and spoke system with several hubs. F-A-R-E not F-A-I-R. See waht happens when I snack too much before bedtime? I don't get enought sleep. :)

i Know the feeling :)

I'm just curious why they decided on the switch

CrabbyMilton

Just a wild guess but it could have to be with the budget to keep a deputy or two in one specific area for faster response and too cut down on longer distance driving. In other words, break it down into more definative zones like MPD that breaks down into districts. What do you think?

ToDaMax

Premium Subscriber
Just a wild guess but it could have to be with the budget to keep a deputy or two in one specific area for faster response and too cut down on longer distance driving. In other words, break it down into more definative zones like MPD that breaks down into districts. What do you think?

In theory, that makes sense. The more organized and structured, the better it will be, in theory. However, in my semi-daily commute downtown, there looks to be little change in the number of appearances of deputies on the I43 Stretch from Marquette to County Line. In fact, in a 3 day span, I've seen only 1 deputy driving along I43 and haven't seen any radar gun scans recently

Tim

They did have it this way with the sectors, also. Ideally they had two squads per sector and 6 sectors to cover. However, they usually had 10 freeway squads on at a time. I think because they are usually stretched pretty thin, longer distance driving is going to happen. They usually have 2-4 squads respond to a in-traffic accident. All it takes it two accidents at the same time and you used up a large number the available freeway squads.

A number of times I heard them utilize airport squads for accidents on I-94 from Layton down to Ryan road.

Tim

doublem

Premium Subscriber
I'm on the freeway system all day, everyday and listen to Sheriff' A1 more than any other TG. You can definitely see and hear the budget crunch. These guys most often are hopping from call to call throughout the system. Oh, not to mention park calls during the off season. I don't know if it's just me but it seems as if 408 and 409 are being used more than usual. As for the goofy numbering system, nothing matters when Marquette 1 (sqd 25) is responding from the Mrqt interchange to a PDO out of traffic in the Hale. It's hard to rationalize the nubmer change if sectors and manpower remain the same.

What was wrong with 10 codes and sectors? Really, are/were there so many problems at MCSO that the bosses had to make all these silly changes. I don't work in/for/around that agency, but it seems like some of this stuff is done just to screw with the rank and file.

I don't get it...

mkescan

Might be slick way for the Sheriff to have media noticing squads are coming from a distance a lot, because he doesn't have enough deputies

ToDaMax

Premium Subscriber
Might be slick way for the Sheriff to have media noticing squads are coming from a distance a lot, because he doesn't have enough deputies

Now thats a thought! The more ruckus is stirred, the better the results

mkescan

Couple years ago the Journal Newsroom people kept hearing xxx Hospital is closed a lot on the scanners, they wondered so much that they did a story on it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.