Milwaukee Fire Department & OpenSky

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

N_Jay

Well lets see.

In this thread I posted 4 times (not including this);
All 4 were directly related to the topic or other posts.

You, on the other hand posted twice (3 times if you count your false start) and none have been on the topic or related to other posts.:twisted:

So if you consider only 10% of my posts substantious, what do you figure your batting average is?:confused:

(Of course this post is now off-topic, yet somehow, I am the agitator? Go figger?:roll:

EDIT:
Sorry for the off topic rant.

We now return you to your normally scheduled thread which is already in progress.

Last edited:

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
So far Mikescan, and others have been proven wrong on their attempt to curtail milwaukee's OPEN-SKY communucation system, as it still continues to be deployed. Yet he accuses others, of providing useless information, as he does.. If his assertions were correct OPEN-SKY, would never have reached this stage of development as it has.

Curtail Milwaukee's OpenSky system ? Unless I am mistaken, I don't think we (RR users) teamed up and stormed city board meetings or police union meetings trying to "curtail" your system.

However, when the system users have made comments about the system not meeting the needs for them, then yea...people are going to complain.

Then you throw in the never ending delays. Myself and 4 of the other radio techs I work with have built 3 wide area county wide radios systems during the past 6+ years Milwaukee have been jerked around by M/A Com. This includes consoles, voters, microwave, P25, encrypted, simulcast, etc. Yet, even with large systems we never ran into 6 + year delays. Hrmmm.

Reputable radio providers bidding on a government job normally have to abide by some type of performance bond. Basically, a promise to meet the project time requirements.

You DO NOT just send in a salesperson into a city director and sell a system. I can not quote the laws on this, but I am pretty sure there are laws in place for the proper handling of government jobs like this where vendors have to go through the whole bidding process, bonds, insurance, performance bonds..etc. Also a system like this is NEVER NEVER done without hiring a public safety communications consultant.

Who was the consultant that spec'd the Milwaukee system ? That, Tencom, is a direct question. Since you have the inside scoop, perhaps you'd like to answer that. Once that consultant's name gets out, he will have no more work in WI.

My first experience as a RADIO TECH with a consultant was rather sour. However as the project panned out, I learned that consultants are a GOOD thing. They protect the customer from being screwed over, and they actually help the vendor quite a bit. If a consultant draws up system spec's wrong, and the vendor builds per the spec....the consultant is stuck with dealing with the mess (this has happened before). Some consultants are better than others, but the majority I have worked with have been pretty decent.

Interoperability ? Yea, within the users of the system. Those outside of it are dark. Sure, one can setup a console patch, but as an experienced console tech...they don't work as great as you'd think they do. Unless you can get a hard COR signal to the console (and the console supports it), it will be VOX activated in both directions, and yup....first or second syllables will be cut off....just about every time. Also dropouts on pauses in sentences causing the analog system to re-key, and don't forget the tone controlled keyup delay times. Milwaukee chose to buy a system that was proprietary, so they must live with that. They basically gave the finger to the surrounding agencies. This is no different from NEXTEDGE or TURBO. Sure, they have their place in commercial/business world, but not in public safety. When a radio vendor sells a proprietary system to a public safety user, that's just greed. Local governments and county governments should have the right to buy whatever subscriber units they like. When you lock them into one brand, that's bad...real bad.

It seems to me some very poor choices were made in the beginning. Was the project out on a RFP ? Was there a consultant ? Performance bonds ?

I am still amazed Tencom, that you still preach about how great this is, and how right you are, yet the amount of FAIL has far outweighed the amount of WIN. (If you don't know about FAIL/WIN, Google it).

So let's see Tencom...you say this is a major win for you. Let's discuss this for a moment .

Phase 1 - Data
Phase 2 - Police
Phase 3 - Fire/EMS
Phase 4 - Others

Right now it seems to me that Phase 2 is now complete, Feb 2010. The PD has switched to the OpenSky system.

So when the Fire/EMS units switch to it 100%, then we can say phase 3 is complete. Um, the FD is not switched over to it according to what I have read.

So that brings the score up to, Phase 1 & 2 is done. Only 6+ years, and it's half done. Yea, that's a real victory.

So Tencom, how much longer will Harris still make/support the OpenSky radios ? With pitiful sales, they must know this a dog of a product.

Motorola has done the same with Smartnet. It was a *HELL* of a good trunking format, reliable, and did the job nicely. Even Motorola said, "you know, we had a good run with it, lets move on to something else." That something else is P25 trunking. Now, Motorola killed off smartnet, not because it was a sick dog like OpenSky, but because it ran it's life cycle. OpenSky never it made it to the "successful" mark. When will Harris realize this is a money loser and kill it off ? I bet sooner than you think, then Milwaukee will be stuck with a system that is obsolete due to parts being NLA. It's obsolete now due to Analog/P25 being the two standards in public safety formats. Imagine when Harris kills it off.

I am sure Harris wants to move forward with VOIP technology, perhaps there was a component in the OpenSky protocol they wanted, and bought M/A Com for it ? If Harris re-engineers their VOIP idea, and come out with something better, does that mean OpenSky hardware/infrastructure can change with it ? We don't know. But, I'd be laughing if they had to change all the hardware out to work with some new format Harris may be working on.

I have asked you some pretty direct questions Tencom, if you could please answer them accordingly.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
I have asked you some pretty direct questions Tencom, if you could please answer them accordingly.

I'd be very surprised if it happens, Matt. The entire time that OpenSky has been discussed here, Tencom has been it's party line poster person but hasn't really provided any actual information.

We'll see.

dwillborn

wow so much anger

Just a couple of things.

Milwaukee had delays, first getting freqs, then getting a site. So you can give Harris some grief, but its not all them.

I'm not down there much, but my understanding is that the consoles have been a large part of the issue. Not a Harris product. Although, they have been sold nearly as many times.
And Milwaukee wanted the newest terminals, so they ordered new radio's before deploying, there was some pain with that.

Still, it has been a long time.

I don't get the obsolete thing. But I work mostly on x/Harris stuff.
Every trunked radio Harris has will do P25, OpenSky, EDACS and conventional. Yes, all 4 if you want it.
And it will do GESTAR and Type 99 & DTMF.
The new MASTR 5 does P25, OpenSky, EDACS and conventional..
Now they did quit marketing EDACS a while back, but they are replacing MASTR II systems like crazy.
NY Port authority just got done with one. I hear Boston just keeps expanding their project. Denver went simulcast a couple years back.
Terminal products go obsolete w/Harris. But, I have never seen a protocol go away.
You will need a different vender for that. Sorry, cheap shot. :)

So for a City squad, if there were any P25 800 systems around, its a flip of a switch to talk to them.

Don't look for OpenSky to go away anytime soon. 4 talk paths on a single 25KHz channel is pretty cool.
A 40 talkpath trunking site in a single rack? Very cool.
And its all IP. That's kind of a standard, right?
There is nothing special about the Cisco gear running the thing.

I keep hearing about this island Milwaukee created.

And please, I'm not picking on anybody here, this goes on everyday.

Did not Milwaukee County create an island when they went 800 and left the biggest city in the County on 450. I know the burbs didn't all go at once. It took years. Didn't Brown Deer just switch last year or the year before, maybe its been more. But it wasn’t right away.
VHF P25? I see the reasoning, but it's not in many squads in the metro area.
I know the States been working on it for many years, but how are they going to talk in Milwaukee & Dane CO.
I'll bet the same way they do now. A second radio. Huh?

I guess I just don't see how anything really changed. The City wasn't talking to anybody on 450 before. At least now they have 800 conventional at their finger tips.

Not for public safety. Well, I know why LTR & that MPT thing weren't good.
OpenSky has great access time and the audio is great when you have good coverage. Ohhhh, isn't that what it's always about. :)

I haven't gone back to see what Tencom said to rile up everybody. But I really don't think he's from Gencomm. Most of the guy's are Kenwood fans. I'm pretty much the Harris cheerleader of the bunch.
I have a thing for vast amounts of blinky lights.

RD1

dwillborn

my bad

Sorry, GE MARC V is obsolete...
Heard about it..never saw it.....maybe I'm not that old????

and were primarily used for commercial, non-public-safety trunking.

These radios are seen as obsolete and there are no known instances of these systems operating in the U.S. today. The general category of this kind of trunked system is called, "Scan-based trunking." In the U.S. and Australia, these systems used analog FM, operated in the 806-869 MHz band, and were primarily used for commercial, non-public-safety trunking. Some systems offered half-duplex, (push-to-talk) telephone interconnect. This feature was popular before the rollout of analog cellular telephones. Obsolescence is a state of being which occurs when a person, object, or service is no longer wanted, even though it may still be in good working order. ...

GE Mark V used a two-tone sequence to identify a group: what modern systems call agency-fleet-subfleet or talk groups. Each radio had at least one tone pair, which identified the group of radios it could talk with. It was similar in format to two-tone sequential paging codes except that, in a GE Mark V system, the first tone was much longer than the second. This long first tone gave a bigger time window for all the scanning radios to find and decode a two-tone sequence. The first tone was lengthened for systems with more channels. In a conventional, analog two-way radio system, a standard radio has noise squelch or carrier squelch which allows a radio to receive all transmissions on a channel. ...

mkescan

I guess Milwaukee Fire Chief doesn’t care about all the problems.
MFD said Wednesday they could be installing OpenSky mobiles in March, and have it finished by the end of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.