Milwaukee Fire F1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkescan

Anyone else notice lately that Milwaukee Fire F1 sounds like a patch?
Sounds way too loud half the time,and the repeater hang time is a lot longer too.
Also once in a while there is a lot of noise like the input or output freq has no PL/DPL

ctadam12

I noticed that too. I'm sure they will keep the VHF freq in simulcast for outside agencies. I think they made a huge mistake with MA/COM. I have used this system and I think it sucks. PD, especially, should have stuck with their current UHF freqs. and just updated their radios...

mkescan

Odd thing is the patch seems to come and go several times a day
You tell somebody and when they listen it sounds fine.
I talked to a MFD captain who said they don't even have any open sky radios in the field.
They trained on the Open Sky radios last summer,but had to send the radios back because
they weren't intrinsically safe .
It's been a year now and they still are waiting to get the radios back.

triryche

Premium Subscriber
what is Ma-Com waiting for here?? The digital fairy to come down and wave a magic P25 wand and this system will be on-line? They built the Panama Canal faster than this for god's sake
:roll:

mkescan

I am waiting for the new MPD Chief to cause some trouble we will like.
Nothing but problems and delays and nobody at city hall cares.

triryche

Premium Subscriber
sounds like somebody is holding a cheap toy walkie talkie in front of another radio and rebroadcasting the audio.

I guess...

The dispatchers could be working from a new Open-Sty console and the VHF system is being diverted into this and vise versa thus the horrible dispatcher audio, misc. noise, etc.. This would also confirm what the FD captain said about no new radios being used in the field yet. The two systems may be twined together with not neccesarily a patch but more of a base simulcast?

Did I make sense with that theory or am I babbling aimlessly?? :p

mkescan

One of my guesses was is maybe the radio shop turns on a patch when they are working on open sky sites or programing radios?
That might explain all the key ups with no voice.

Paul-W

I am also noticing that some MPD units sound a little weird lately. They sound like the signal is being digitized on some nights. I heard a rumor, and I don't know how accurate this is, that some MPD squad cars are already using the new Opensky radios in conventional mode on their current frequencies. Does anyone know if this is the case or is this some kind of patch?

mkescan

I noticed several weird things on MPD radio too.
Dispatch hearing a unit but I didn't,or not hearing the first word or two by a mobile unit even when scanner was locked on the freq.
I forgot where it was posted but, MPD is suppose have some open sky radios in the field,several patrol and CIB units have them.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
I`m kinda curious, just how long is the switchover to this OpenSky system going to take? I have read on another website (unfortunatly down right now...Wisconsin Scanning Homepage) that it isn`t `sposed to be complete for another five years or so, is/has this happened sooner than i thought? N9NRA

triryche

Premium Subscriber
Ok, today I am FOR SURE hearing some squads in Dist 3 on F1 (460.075) that are decoded digital voice being patched to analog and it sounds pretty decent. I am positive it is decoded digital.. you know it when you hear it. I heard two different squads using it. So evidently there is some patching and simulcasting going on here, it just seems to be working a little better on the PD end than with FD..

tencom

Some Police vehicles with no UHF antennas

I have recently noticed some Milwaukee Police Patrol cars with no trunk-mounted UHF antennas just have the new type 800 Megahertz tubular antennas, plus the GPS Pick-up sensor and have noticed more Police vehicles with the tubular antennas. I believe with the arrival of the new black and white color schemed patrol cars will be the end, of the analog era.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
And something else to consider here, if i`m correct, the new OpenSky system cannot be monitored by any currently availible scanner, which is a decidedly bad thing for us scanner listeners, i hope i`m wrong and they`re just experimenting with it for now, `cause from what i`ve seen it wasn`t even supposed to be up and running for a goodly long time yet. Guess they went a smidgen faster than we knew. Lets hope there`s still sommore analog MPD left to listen to for a while :). N9NRA

tencom

Sorry to say not

Open-Sky is a simliar to the digital standards that is used by the cellullar phone industry and uses spread-spectrum-modulation, and is a Propriety system, and has to be licensed which is not as yet available to the general public and perhaps will never be for security reasons, also they use the Digital Encrpytion Standard as used by the Cellullar phone systems

mkescan

Sounds like Milwaukee Fire finally took down the patch,or fixed whatever problem they were having.
It was pretty bad for a while.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Okay, question for ya, so MPD has for sure gone and done the switch to Open Sky for good this time? It was kinda fun listening to them during Milwaukee Brewers games...kept me from getting bored between innings and on the trip to/from where i`m at now to "Brew Town". Oh well...there`s always the Milwaukee TRS to listen to. Thank goodness we have TrunkTracker scanners :D! N9NRA

mkescan

MPD hasn't cut over yet,they just have a few 800 radios out in the field.
I heard they won't be cutting over until the system is rebanded,and we all know how many rebanding stories are out there.
Spring,summer,fall,before the year is up,early next year

Status
Not open for further replies.