Milwaukee Fire going live with OpenSky

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToDaMax

Premium Subscriber
This is going to be an interesting chapter in Milwaukee. All the headache the police have had with this system, and now the fire department is going live. Have faith in the Radio Techs and hope for the best.

Last edited:

CrabbyMilton

To say that this will be interesting is a grand understatement. I would imagine that they will keep the patch up for awhile but I don't expect that to last forever so while I don't like that fact that I probably won't be able to hear MFD at some point, I accept it and there are suburban department ot monitor. Let's hope they work out the bugs to reduce the "Donald Duck/Charlie Brown's teacher" sound. Proof positive that behind every bad idea in history, some people made alot of money at one point.

ToDaMax

Premium Subscriber
It will be sad to see the city of Milwaukee become a black hole in scanning public safety. But so far, I haven't heard anything different over MFD Dispatch.

Tim

Feed Provider
Howdy there...

FWIW, it appears like they cut the cord. I have heard no voice traffic on 154.3850 or 159.1500 for nearly an hour now. I have only heard the CWID on 154.3850.

Tim

CrabbyMilton

It's been silent on the old F1 and F2 for sometime now as I type this as of 5:07PM. I'm going to leave them on my scanner/s since it would not be surprising if they need these for backup. We knew this day would come but let's not forget that this is NOT the end of the scanning world.

radio50

"separate frequency?"

The JSOnline article says: "In case of mutual aid, an entity will call for help on a separate frequency that all agencies monitor constantly."

This may be a dumb question, but what frequency are they talking about?

ToDaMax

Premium Subscriber
They're talking about IFERN, which is continuously monitered by every department, as part of MABAS, and can be monitored by scanners as well

Last edited:

mkescan

Listening to archives, I am thinking they didn't have everyone switch over at same time. Very little traffic after 11am. then none

JJMNIZ

Mfd fireground radio traffic on vhf or opensky?

Has anyone been near a City if Milwaukee fire scene and can confirm that fireground traffic is no longer on VHF?

a1emt

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone been near a City if Milwaukee fire scene and can confirm that fireground traffic is no longer on VHF?

All of the information I have received is that fireground traffic is indeed being carried on the OpenSky Digital Trunked system. They have deployed vehicular repeaters on EVERY engine company and BC vehicle to enhance in-building coverage. Waiting to hear some reports from the field on audio quality in high ambient noise and through breathing apparatus facepieces.

Jim

mkescan

I thought fireground should always be simplex? Sounds like what MFD is doing may have a few seconds delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.