Milwaukee home wiring vendor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmsanders83

KC8JSU
Premium Subscriber
I'm going to be building a new home in the Franklin area this fall.

I'm looking for recommendations regarding a wiring vendor who could run two LMR400 cable lines between my attic and first floor study. (Two story home) My plan is to mount two antennas in the attic with the cable terminating to a Dual BNC wall plate.

I'm looking for a vendor that could do the work after framing and prior to the drywall going in. I'll be providing the cable, faceplate, and antennas. I strongly prefer to work with someone who is insured. The work would have to pass city electrical code inspection.

If you know of anyone, please reply with any relevant info.

Thanks

Josh

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Yep - this is something your electrical sub-contractor should be able to do easily as they rough-in the wiring. It should not be a code issue as it is just another form of communications wiring (such as cable TV, telephones, network).

I'd suggest running PVC conduit in the stud cavity from the first floor to the attic, the diameter as big as possible and route the cables through that. That way you'll have the ability to either replace cables that go bad with age or install additional cables in the future if there is a need to. Today you might think two is more than enough, but who knows what you might want to do in ten years.

Also if they run just the cables (as in not in conduit), then they'll have to staple the coax to the studs which could damage the coax. Being in PVC avoids that risk.

You should be sure your builder knows of your desire to get up into your attic so the access is accessible and they install electric lights so you can see to work.

SCPD

QRT

I'm looking for recommendations regarding a wiring vendor who could run two LMR400 cable lines between my attic and first floor study. (Two story home) My plan is to mount two antennas in the attic with the cable terminating to a Dual BNC wall plate.

I'm looking for a vendor that could do the work after framing and prior to the drywall going in. I'll be providing the cable, faceplate, and antennas. I strongly prefer to work with someone who is insured. The work would have to pass city electrical code inspection.

Thanks

Josh

Congrats on your new home in Franklin!! I used to live at the Whitnall Pointe apartments off of 100 a few years ago. Great town to live in, miss the area...

blue5011

I wouldn't pay anyone for something as simple as running coax. Couple hours on the weekend... it'd be done. Next thing you know there will be someone chiming in about running a #6 ground wire in too.

I do agree you should use PVC, maybe 2 inch, or run additional cables NOW, before the drywall is up. I am sure you could find a plumber to put in the plastic pipe.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Generally speaking, home builders don't like home owners to do any of their own work. I suspect most of this might be financially motivated, but there are code compliance issues too. For example if the inspector doesn't like something a homeowneer does, who has to correct it before the certificate of occupancy is issued? A delay in its being issued puts a hit on the builder's pocket book.

PVC for electrical raceway purposes is an electrician's skill. (Lots of places use this for the electrical service entrance.)

Also plumbing PVC is not UL listed for electrical purposes, so I'd discourage plumbing PVC. Electrical PVC costs $1 more per 10' section than plumbing PVC, so the savings is negligible. An electrical inspection issue may be avoided too.

blue5011

Generally speaking, home builders don't like home owners to do any of their own work. I suspect most of this might be financially motivated, but there are code compliance issues too. For example if the inspector doesn't like something a homeowneer does, who has to correct it before the certificate of occupancy is issued? A delay in its being issued puts a hit on the builder's pocket book.

PVC for electrical raceway purposes is an electrician's skill. (Lots of places use this for the electrical service entrance.)

Also plumbing PVC is not UL listed for electrical purposes, so I'd discourage plumbing PVC. Electrical PVC costs $1 more per 10' section than plumbing PVC, so the savings is negligible. An electrical inspection issue may be avoided too.

I should not have waded into this subject as the home owner was wiling to **pay** for service. That being said, I was merely offering an alternative or suggestion that it could be a "do-it-yourself" issue. Myself, I would not hire work done when it is something I feel easily accomplished. Running coax is a skill every radio hobbyist "should" have.

estefan2020

If your going lmr400, you might think about lmr-1200 its a bit thicker more power handling, lower loss at high frequency's. n connectors are designed for high end cables VHF and up. use an adapter on the radio if you have to for bnc, or pigtail. Your paying for premium cable, use premium connectors.

Thanks

Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.