Milwaukee OASIS vs Waukesha OASIS Control Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wauk620

KD9PQM
Premium Subscriber
A little help from the experts out there. I was programming my 436HP for Waukesha County talk groups and everything works great. I than started programming Milwaukee County talk groups, specifically sheriff, county and city fire, EMS, and suburban city fire and police. However, I didn’t realize that I mistakenly used the Waukesha OASIS control frequencies. To my surprise, I was able to receive all talk groups except for Milwaukee County and City Fire. When I reprogrammed these same talk groups using the Milwaukee OASIS control frequencies - nothing, nada, silence, zippo! It seems strange that Milwaukee would be using Waukesha’s control frequencies. And why is the county and city fire not heard on either? Your help and insight would be most appreciated. - John KD9PQM

jmsanders83

KC8JSU
Premium Subscriber
A little help from the experts out there. I was programming my 436HP for Waukesha County talk groups and everything works great. I than started programming Milwaukee County talk groups, specifically sheriff, county and city fire, EMS, and suburban city fire and police. However, I didn’t realize that I mistakenly used the Waukesha OASIS control frequencies. To my surprise, I was able to receive all talk groups except for Milwaukee County and City Fire. When I reprogrammed these same talk groups using the Milwaukee OASIS control frequencies - nothing, nada, silence, zippo! It seems strange that Milwaukee would be using Waukesha’s control frequencies. And why is the county and city fire not heard on either? Your help and insight would be most appreciated. - John KD9PQM

Part of it is related to the coverage of sites themselves. Milwaukee County sites extend into parts of eastern Waukesha County from a coverage strength perspective. The same can be said for Waukesha County sites, as they can be received in western Milwaukee County. A handful of sites are very close to county borders which helps.

The other part of it is related to the availability of talkgroups on the two subsystems. From a simulcasting and talkgroup affiliation perspective, Milwaukee County Sheriff and western Milwaukee County suburb talkgroups can often be heard on Waukesha County sites. Likewise, Waukesha County dispatch talkgroups and eastern Waukesha County suburbs can often be heard on Milwaukee County sites.

I live in Brookfield and can hear both subsystems at full strength. I monitor Waukesha more though, and Milwaukee Sheriff, Franklin, Greendale, Hales Corners, Greenfield, Tosa, and Stallis are always on. I never hear Oak Creek or North Shore though which makes sense.

City of Milwaukee Fire Dispatch will likely never be heard on Waukesha County sites. Maybe if a Waukesha County unit parks on that OpenSky-ISSI talkgroup, but I’ve never heard 3393 active on Waukesha sites. You will hear MFD in Waukesha County if they are operating on systemwide talkgroups like OAIFERN.

I suspect one of two reasons why you aren’t hearing Milwaukee County from Milwaukee County sites. 1) Milwaukee County subsystem is not strong enough into your area. Based on QRZ lookup, you’re in City of Waukesha. I can reasonably suspect that the Greenfield and Franklin sites just aren’t making it to you. 2) If you can actually receive the sites, check your programming. Milwaukee Sheriff F1 is chatty, so you should definitely be hearing that

Wauk620

KD9PQM
Premium Subscriber
Thanks, Josh. But that still doesn’t explain why I don’t hear anything from the talk groups with the Milwaukee control frequencies. You said that you hear both sub systems at full strength. Are you hearing the Milwaukee talk groups using the Milwaukee OASIS control frequencies? As for distance, I can receive the North Shore down to Oak Creek with no problem, but only on the Waukesha OASIS system. I live on a hill with great elevation (950 ft.), so my reception of Milwaukee is good. Any other suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.