Milwaukee Trunk Systems Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9fam

I'll be in Milwaukee Saturday, but have 4 questions.

1. According to RR, there is a US Postal Service TRS, LTR, with only one freq listed (LCR-5, 854.7625). Is this correct? I found an FCC, license, WQCG671, to Joseph Dragotta, but no obvious tie to the USPS.

2. Milwaukee City TRS (Open Sky)...are they using it at all, like for the Phase 1 data? I see conflicting reports that the city and Harris are plowing more money in, but also that the system isn't being used.

3. Milwaukee Co. P25 Project. I didn't have any traffic the last time I was in Milwaukee last year. Is this system actually in use now?

4. Is there a WISCOM site near Milwaukee? I didn't see anything obvious in Milwaukee County on RR.

Thanks for any help. Trying to determine if I was programmed incorrectly last time I was there, or if these systems aren't really in use.

John C., N9FAM

SCPD

QRT
I'll be in Milwaukee Saturday, but have 4 questions.

1. According to RR, there is a US Postal Service TRS, LTR, with only one freq listed (LCR-5, 854.7625). Is this correct? I found an FCC, license, WQCG671, to Joseph Dragotta, but no obvious tie to the USPS.
The postal inspectors are on Federal UHF P25 channel with some encryption. I never did program in the LTR system that is in the database

2. Milwaukee City TRS (Open Sky)...are they using it at all, like for the Phase 1 data? I see conflicting reports that the city and Harris are plowing more money in, but also that the system isn't being used.
it is being used for data and by the police dept.

3. Milwaukee Co. P25 Project. I didn't have any traffic the last time I was in Milwaukee last year. Is this system actually in use now?
Don't know. Anyone have any updates when it will be used?

4. Is there a WISCOM site near Milwaukee? I didn't see anything obvious in Milwaukee County on RR.
WISCOM is not operational yet.

n9fam

Thanks! I'll run all four 'systems' Saturday and see if anything materializes. And, yes, I realize I won't be able to hear anything on the OpenSky system. I just want to know what it sounds like. We're supposed to get it here 'this year' sometime.

Mweiher

Milwaukee County P25 system is in use, but with minimal traffic at present time. Most traffic is related to north shore departments. In 2010, we will begin a P25 migration that will provide for 4 channel, county-wide portable street level coverage. This will be "Phase I" of the digital migration. Plans are in the works for the system - which may add a site at the GMIA 440th location.

I will be retiring as Radio Systems Administrator from Milwaukee County when the 800 mhz Rebanding Project is completed. I will attempt to stop by this board more regularly than I have in the recent past - in an attempt to answer questions on the status of Milwaukee County radio. However, bear in mind I'm already in 'retirement' mode!!! Planning seriously to move back to the UK, those of you who know me won't find this surprising.

unodonut

All Milwaukee Public Safety is now on OpenSky. Police switched over about 2 years ago and the Fire Department just switched back in January. From what I've heard from a friend of mine, who is a FD dispatcher, she actually likes the new system. Not much has changed except for the frequencies, everything else is pretty much the same. The only difference is (for example) the following:

"Car 300. Engine 22. 7822 W Capitol Dr. F1 F4." (before OpenSky)

"Car 300. Engine 22. 7822 W Capitol Dr. Profile 1, talkgroup 5." (after OpenSky)

Tim

Feed Provider
The postal inspectors are on Federal UHF P25 channel with some encryption. I never did program in the LTR system that is in the database

While the US Postal Inspectors are on the Federal UHF, 854.7625 is active will what I presume is airport hanger operations for the USPS trucks at the airport It is a one channel LTR System (LCN #5).

WISCOM is not operational yet.

Actually, there are two sites operating in Milwaukee. Site #16 is on the air and the UWM Milwaukee Site is on the air (With no site ID showing as of yet). Especially during the week, radio techs can be heard chatting on regional Tactical channels on these two sites. Also, various "County Scan" talkgroups have been heard on at times (Depending what the radio techs are working on I am guessing).

Occasionally Talkgroups 8001, 8402, 9011 have been active with radio traffic on both sites (Which are not patches).

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.