• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Minitor Minitor 6 tones from scanner

pvnh

Hello all,
I had initially posed this question in a scanner forum as I didn't understand why I was getting different tones using the scanners tone for search function. I was helped into discovering what is likely the correct pair of tones. However now when programmed into the Minitor 6 pager, it does not alert, and I can not figure out what else to adjust. I have pasted the link for my original question below which got me to where I am.

cpg178

Your tones may be off a bit, with the Minitor unless you have the exact tone pair it will most likely not go off.

gary123

I have set up a ton and a half of Minitor IV, V, VI. For the VI use these settings

channel BW = 25
reset = automatic
tone system = Motorola *Unless you know they are not using Motorola pagers
coding option = R168
tone 1 and 2 from the paging chart
* use your decoded tones and look for the nearest value
** the values you got should be within 1-2 hz maximum of the value in the chart.

https://www.sigidwiki.com/images/f/f3/Tone-signaling-charts.pdf *not endorsing this site

pvnh

1677091656967.png

I have updated the pager based on your suggestions. I know the town uses Minitor 5 pagers. I'll let you know if this works or not.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
you must hold on the dispatch frequency or talkgroup in order for the tone out to work properly, when scanning you may miss the tones being broadcast so the scanner cant decode them.

cpg178

I have set up a ton and a half of Minitor IV, V, VI. For the VI use these settings

channel BW = 25
reset = automatic
tone system = Motorola *Unless you know they are not using Motorola pagers
coding option = R168
tone 1 and 2 from the paging chart
* use your decoded tones and look for the nearest value
** the values you got should be within 1-2 hz maximum of the value in the chart.

https://www.sigidwiki.com/images/f/f3/Tone-signaling-charts.pdf *not endorsing this site
you set pagers to 25khz even on a narrowband channel?

pvnh

you must hold on the dispatch frequency or talkgroup in order for the tone out to work properly, when scanning you may miss the tones being broadcast so the scanner cant decode them.
That is a possibility that I did not think of yet, especially considering that the channel/tones I'm having an issue with is on my second priority of the priority scan list. I have not adjusted the priority scan time, would you recommend a longer one?

1677094039011.png

cpg178

Priority scan is designed to allow it to alert on the priority channel even if traffic is being received on the secondary, but I have had it fail to alert a few times. Have the pager sit solely on your primary channel to ensure it will alert with the tone pairs you programmed first, then if it still does not work move onto other possibilities. If you are a member of the department this pager is for just ask the chief or your depts radio guy what the tones are, much easier than guessing.

pvnh

I will attempt swapping the primary channels to test the pair. I turned down a Minitor 5 when I joined last year thinking that I could use the same 5 channel Minitor 6 for both. I did get frustrated and ask the chief for the tones pair but apparently that information is regulated by the town Police chief and not available to share? I did look at someone else's Minitor 5 because I vaguely remember carrying a Minitor 4 years ago that had a sticker on the back with the tones pair without luck. That's how I ended up asking strangers on the internet for help.

pvnh

Making the "problem" channel primary solved my issue. It activated for the noon test. I did not adjust the priority scan time. I am going to experiment next with probability scan. Thank you @cpg178

cpg178

I have a Min6 that sits on Silent scan basically 24/7 and I have had only 1 instance where it did not alert as a call came in on both channels at the same time and both had tones that were in my list. I am not familiar with probability scan, but glad you got it working.
I do not think that the secondary frequency in a priority scan list can alert

pvnh

I have a Min6 that sits on Silent scan basically 24/7 and I have had only 1 instance where it did not alert as a call came in on both channels at the same time and both had tones that were in my list. I am not familiar with probability scan, but glad you got it working.
I do not think that the secondary frequency in a priority scan list can alert
That's good to know. I used to regularly carry a Unication G5 (FD in town was VHF and PD was 800) and in that I went from priority scan to normal scan and it only missed alerting me once, but I heard about the call anyway because the PD was going. Not to mention that practically every department has an app or texts now as a backup/safety net.