• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Minitor Minitor II Knob Replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.

trp2525

I have a Minitor II (non-stored voice model) circa 1988 that is in need of replacement knobs. The function selector knob broke into 2 pieces recently while turning it. When I tried to remove the on-off/volume knob that also broke but is still currently useable.

I did some research and found that the Motorola part number for both knobs is NRN4775A (see attached picture) but it has LONG been discontinued by Motorola. The only source that I have been able to find for those exact OEM Motorola knobs is if I purchase a complete refurb kit that also includes the housing, battery door, belt clip, etc. I don't really need the entire refurb kit as my Minitor is in pristine like-new condition other than the broken knobs. If I have to, I guess I will have to bite the bullet and purchase the entire kit.

I was told that I could use the stored voice knobs on my non-stored voice Minitor II but I noticed that there are two different part numbers for those knobs. The on-off volume control knob (for stored voice) is NRN7399A and the function selector knob (for stored voice) is NRN6708A. Is there something different on the function selector knob on the stored voice model that makes it different from the on-off volume control knob on the stored voice model? The "standard" Minitor II that I have uses the same knob in both positions.

Does anybody have any good source(s) for these knobs, either OEM or aftermarket? Motorola Minitor II Pager Function and On-Off Knob (Non SV) NRN4775A.jpg

emtprt

Premium Subscriber
This company in Florida has helped me in the past P&W Paging and Wireless Service.

trp2525

Give Gerry a call or email:

I contacted him before making this post and he told me that he didn't have any new replacement knobs and that they "have not been available new for several years now." I'm waiting to hear back if he has any decent used/salvaged knobs available for sale.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
I contacted him before making this post and he told me that he didn't have any new replacement knobs and that they "have not been available new for several years now." I'm waiting to hear back if he has any decent used/salvaged knobs available for sale.
I forgot that Gerry may be cutting back on some repairs or parts as a supplier. He has done some great work for me on older pagers, Motorola & Plectron single-channel monitor/paging receivers.

trp2525

This company in Florida has helped me in the past P&W Paging and Wireless Service.
Thanks! I was not aware of that company. It looks like they only have the stored-voice style knobs available which is certainly an option at this point.

K2NEC

Look carefully, there is an option for a non stored voice. Besides, I don't think the II ever came in a stored voice version anyway.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Look carefully, there is an option for a non stored voice. Besides, I don't think the II ever came in a stored voice version anyway.
Both the Minitor II and Director II came in stored voice models.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
I've got a pile of those pagers laying around. Let me see if I have some knobs that aren't beat all to pieces or falling apart due to age. I've saved a few really nice pagers for my 'collection' but I've got plenty of parts.

Edit: the reason the sv knobs are different is because the selector has a button to push down on top to play the stored messge. You can still use them on non sv's. They are just black.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
The holy grail of the time was a SV with the aftermarket vibrate ad-on. I went from a 2 to a 5 because I hated 3&4's so much. They just don't make em like that anymore.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The holy grail of the time was a SV with the aftermarket vibrate ad-on. I went from a 2 to a 5 because I hated 3&4's so much. They just don't make em like that anymore.
That's what mine are. I used parts from some Director II's, did some jumper work on the boards, and wound up with two fully functional Minitor II SV with vibrate. The only downside is that they're wideband and all paging around here on VHF/UHF is narrow, so you have to really crank the volume up.

K2NEC

I didn't think they had stored voice technology figured out back then which is why I doubted it haha.
I wish my 5 had the audio quality of my 2 and I would go back.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
That's what mine are. I used parts from some Director II's, did some jumper work on the boards, and wound up with two fully functional Minitor II SV with vibrate. The only downside is that they're wideband and all paging around here on VHF/UHF is narrow, so you have to really crank the volume up.

NB is the only reason I switched. My county dispatch was especially low volume and the 2 just wasn't enough.

trp2525

I've got a pile of those pagers laying around. Let me see if I have some knobs that aren't beat all to pieces or falling apart due to age. I've saved a few really nice pagers for my 'collection' but I've got plenty of parts...
Thanks for your efforts!

My factory original knobs (from 1988) have simply deteriorated due to age and not from abuse. Other than that my Minitor II works perfectly for me on both tone alerting and carrier squelch monitoring. Even with narrow banding I still get plenty of audio volume from the pager itself and I also have the Minitor II charger/amplifier (also purchased brand-new in 1988) which really boosts the audio volume level.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Got to love those amplified chargers. They can wake the dead. I've found a couple whole overall good pagers with knobs on them than I can rob some parts off of. I'm going to do some more digging because I know I have an entire box of just top plates that have the knobs and reset buttons on them.

trp2525

Can anyone confirm the exact type of fastener head that is on the bottom of the Minitor II case for disassembly of the housing? Better to find out this information before stripping the fastener head by using the wrong tool.

Also, if the old knobs (and all of their broken-off remnants) have been completely removed from the Minitor II, can you simply push the new knobs into place from the outside of the housing? Do you need to disassemble the case for inside access to install/seat the new knobs properly?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Standard Philips head screw, just make sure to carefully pull the battery door out first...a little pinch on each side will pop it free to swing out further. New knobs just pop in from the top, nothing special underneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.