• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Minitor IV frequency problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike6208

Hey minitor guys, I have a 4 that won't pickup anything on the local FD 154.2350 frequency. Have it programmed to that freq and set to monitor. But will not get any traffic at all. But my bearcat 355c picks up every transmission, anyone have any ideas to why?

Thanks all

Hey minitor guys, I have a 4 that won't pickup anything on the local FD 154.2350 frequency. Have it programmed to that freq and set to monitor. But will not get any traffic at all. But my bearcat 355c picks up every transmission, anyone have any ideas to why?

Thanks all
Obvious question - after you programmed it on frequency was it working for a while and then stopped, or did it get programmed and you never heard anything after that?

I have a Minitor IV at home that I am about ready to reprogram down into the 2 meter ham band as soon as I craft up a cable to do it with, so whatever you've done might relate to me at some point soon.

mike6208

I had it on our local freq that was 151.215 and it was working fine, FD switched to a new dispatch with a new freq and I can't pickup anything on the pager after the freq change. Never received any traffic on the new freq. I searched around Google and it says the 4 is narrowband ready or it will pick it up. But could this be a problem or should I be looking at other issues.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I had it on our local freq that was 151.215 and it was working fine, FD switched to a new dispatch with a new freq and I can't pickup anything on the pager after the freq change. Never received any traffic on the new freq. I searched around Google and it says the 4 is narrowband ready or it will pick it up. But could this be a problem or should I be looking at other issues.
Mike, I sent you a PM with my email address. Please send me a copy of your most current codeplug. Also need your agency name, county dispatch name, and state, please, so I can verify programming info.

com501

You moved the receiver 3 megs and you expect it to work? Did you adjust the VCO? RARELY will a M4 go that far without re-alignment. Did it take the frequencies without having to use engineering mode?

BTW, moving into the 2 meter band is going to have the same issues, only worse.

Craft up a cable?? The Minitor series use a programming cradle with a RIB.

WuLabsWuTecH

FWIW, if you have ~$10, a paperclip and don't mind waiting a week for shipping, you can make your own programming cable. After the equipment arrived, it took me all of 5 minutes with the paperclip and a pair of trauma shears to make my cable. For about another $10, you can get a project box and make a nice mount for it, but I actually find that the naked cable travels better.

CommJunkie

You moved the receiver 3 megs and you expect it to work? Did you adjust the VCO? RARELY will a M4 go that far without re-alignment. Did it take the frequencies without having to use engineering mode?

If the band split on the pager is 151-158, why would he need to do any of that????

BTW, moving into the 2 meter band is going to have the same issues, only worse.

Here's a post that shows how to make an improvised programming cable that doesn't require all kinds of specialty items.

com501

Anything as old as an M4 will rarely go the entire rated bandsplit without some kind of alignment anymore. I am sitting here with a batch of M4s that the customer wants moved from 157 down to 151 and they are all exhibiting VCO issues, some barely in lock, whining, microphonic, some not in lock, and one or two that actually seem to be working. I'd say that off the bat, after programming 4 in 20 of these are working without issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.