• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Minitor / Quick call II ( sort of ) question

Status
Not open for further replies.

alkassell

I am a volunteer firefighter, and looking for some help solving a problem. I have some ideas, but I'm an amateur, so I thought I'd give my scenario, and see if any one has a good solution, rather than trying to re-invent the wheel.

My department uses the Minitor V pagers, and occasionally I don't have enough signal to receive a page in my shop, which, as the only officer who is usually in town during the day, is a problem. I don't like the idea of putting my pager in an amplified charger, because I know myself well enough to know I will forget to take it with me ( I'm in and out a lot ). So my thoughts are to:

- Purchase a CDM 1250 or 1550 ( I have CPS ( Yes, legally), but would need to buy a cable - only have one for the HT's ), and program it to act as a pager with Quick call II. I can then run an antenna to the roof.

- Purchase a second pager and amplified base, and leave them in the shop. I read that the amplified base is only slightly better, but don't know if that's true. I could at least try to strategically place it, for better reception.

- I also have a Bendix-King GBH base radio that someone gave me, but I have no software, and have no idea if it's capable of being set up with something like quick call. If purchasing software ( legally! ) and a cable is cheaper than other solutions, maybe that's the way to go. I can post elsewhere to get more info on BK if this thread doesn't yield much.

I'm leaning towards the first option, even though I'd probably never transmit - when I get paged, I'm out the door before the tones are done, and my HT 1250 can reach dispatch once I'm outside and on my way to the FD or scene, it's just inside the building that reception is iffy.

If anyone has some other suggestions, I'm all ears. One constraint is budget - this is coming out of my pocket - so since I already have CPS through the FD I thought I'd stick to Motorola ( not sure if there are scanners that will do what I want, and be cheaper, if you factor in programming ). Another issue is that it's a metal fabrication shop, so I often have hearing protection on with lots of background noise, so it's got to be loud, or have a strobe ( the vibrate on the Minitor does get my attention when it's on my belt ). Also, I am new to the world of radios (Chief one day said 'You're in charge of updating the portables.' so I learned just enough to do that), so make sure to use small words ;)

Thanks in advance.

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
Can you get a Older Minitor, 3 or 4 and have it programmed to proper freq and tones? if so you can purchase on ebay quite inexpensive with an amplified charger which allows for external antenna.

alkassell

That sounds like a good idea. Can you use the same cradle / software for a Minitor 3 or 4 that you use for a 5? My chief handles programming those, so I don't know. If so, that sounds like the best route.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Get a CDM1250. The programming cables are inexpensive. Also get and use a Motorola remote speaker. Run an antenna up on the roof.

It will be louder than a charger/amp and will receive distant stations or weak signals much better.

alkassell

Thanks for the suggestion of the Uniden 15XT. It looks like I can buy a used CDM1250 for about the same money ( looked at the link you provided and ebay, druhe ), and I already have the code plug and software for the CDM, so I'm leaning towards Steve's recommendation. I also wouldn't mind having the cable so I can program the department's mobiles in the future ( they've been working, so I've been going on the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' system for now ).

Also, am I correct in the fact that the Minitor's amplified base can only use a dedicated antenna, not have one divorced from the unit ( i.e., on the roof )?

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
No a 5 cradle will not fit a 3 or 4. The amplified unit I have has a BNC connector for an external antenna. You can get a 3 or 4 with programming on ebay.

alkassell

OK, thx, I will look at those on ebay as well as the CDM1250. I think the chief of a neighboring FD may have the ability to program the Minitor 3's and 4's as well ( just have to convince him to use our tones, and not have me running to all his calls... ).

Status
Not open for further replies.