• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Minitor V erratic powering off and on

Status
Not open for further replies.

methusaleh

I was issued a Minitor V, the first pager I've had, thanks to a department grant. 'I've had this pager for about two months. I received it when it was brand new, straight from the dealer after programming. I have never abused it in any way, shape, or form. When I am on a call I take my issued HT1250, so the pager doesn't get damaged. Two days ago, it suddenly began powering off and on by itself. I tried removing and re-inserting the battery. Tried wiggling the battery ever so slightly (as much as it allows with the battery locking tab in place). No matter what I do, the pager completely erratically turns itself on and off. Even if I am not touching it and it is sitting on a desk, it suddenly will power down or cycle between powering off and on. I am fairly knowledgeable about electronics and figure if the problem is small I could fix it myself rather than waiting for a long turnaround from the shop. I have not opened the pager or attempted to fix it beyond troubleshooting.

Any ideas?

Mr_Observer

"'I've had this pager for about two months. I received it when it was brand new,"

If its only 2 months old. Its still under warranty. Send it back to Motorola and get a replacement. If you attempt any repair it will certainly void the warranty.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I agree with the warranty repair suggestion.

If you decide to repair it yourself, check the normal intermittent contact suspects. I recently had to have the case replaced on a Mintor V for the same problem. (I'm not quite sure what was wrong with the case, but that was the statement from the repair facility, and the part we were charged for.)

brian209

Feed Provider
I've seen problems with the Min V where the battery lock not being slid out to secure the battery will cause similar behavior. The only thing that you say that makes me think this is not the case is that it will power cycle when sitting on the desk.

One of my least favorite things is trouble shooting Minitor V pagers. Sometimes they seem to have a mind of his own.

Brian

Tech792

This is one of the many common problems with the M5. Send it in to the depot and they will swap it.

methusaleh

Thanks folks, I will keep you all updated on the outcome.

Good point about the warranty, I forgot all about that. I was contemplating looking at it myself only because of the delays we've had in the past when returning radios to the shop for service. Then again those were long their beyond warranty periods.

Status
Not open for further replies.