• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Minitor V On/Off Duty not saving

Status
Not open for further replies.

skennedy

I have very limited experience programming pagers. I have done some read on the on/off duty option. I have 4 sets of tones programmed into a pager. I have flagged one set to "off" for off duty and set the function of SW-A to "Enable on/off duty". I then press ok at the bottom of the box and download the configuration to the pager. When I read the configuration I just downloaded to the pager the "Off" duty selection on the selected tone that I do not want to activate always defaults back to "on"

Can anyone help me out with this? I don't understand why it will not save the selected tones in the "off" duty position.

Thanks!

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I have very limited experience programming pagers. I have done some read on the on/off duty option. I have 4 sets of tones programmed into a pager. I have flagged one set to "off" for off duty and set the function of SW-A to "Enable on/off duty". I then press ok at the bottom of the box and download the configuration to the pager. When I read the configuration I just downloaded to the pager the "Off" duty selection on the selected tone that I do not want to activate always defaults back to "on"

Can anyone help me out with this? I don't understand why it will not save the selected tones in the "off" duty position.

Thanks!
The only way to figure out what is going on is to see the codeplug.

Please send me a copy. I'll give you my email address in a PM.

skennedy

I just turned them on

Ha sorry to keep you waiting, Im caught up in this 4 post review rule...

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Follow up info for everyone:

I've successfully repaired and modified the OP's codeplug. He has written it into the radio and all seems well.

We did not solve the problem of his PPS changing the On/Off Duty status back to On. I am thinking it may be a corrupted install of the PPS, but no clear way to tell.

We also found that his tone info was incorrect. He was set up as User tone system and the tone entries were Motorola, sort of. I suspect that he was given inaccurate numbers to start. However, it turns out that his agency is one that I used to dispatch and they along with the entire country are Plectron tones all the way.

Anyway, he's all set.

FWIW, it was valuable to know the exact agency, county, and state up front so that I could verify the numbers supplied. Nothing personal gang, but a lot of info that is used to program up radios and pagers is not as correct as it should be. Either people are giving each other bad info, or it just gets less and less accurate as it is passed around. The old "somebody told me" just does not cut it here.

skennedy

Steve,

Thanks for all your help! You went way out of your way to do this for us. When the IT guy came in today, we upgraded the PPS software as you recommended. We now have the ability to make changes and set the "On/Off Duty" feature without it defaulting back to on.

Thanks again!!

cdknapp

Premium Subscriber
FWIW, it was valuable to know the exact agency, county, and state up front so that I could verify the numbers supplied. Nothing personal gang, but a lot of info that is used to program up radios and pagers is not as correct as it should be. Either people are giving each other bad info, or it just gets less and less accurate as it is passed around. The old "somebody told me" just does not cut it here.

Steve, you are SO right on the mark on this!

I encounter this quite a bit (actually more often than not) on the two tone fx's. Most of the time the PPS auto corrects the small differences in these where it's close but not right-on. Again, this is ONLY if they are close enough.

In programming two way equipment, there is of course here (Radio Reference) to verify frequencies and the equally important PL tones (where used).

But as we all know that there is NO central repository for two tone data, so we really (fully) depend upon the end users getting us good information for programming in these related circumstances where we don't know the system(s) involved from personal knowledge.

I mention this only to back up what you have already said, especially for two tone information. If anyone wants to have the equipment work the way that they want/need it to, we fully depend on the information provided.
SO, everyone do us ALL (yourself included)a huge favor and take Steve's advice: VERIFY this information before having anything done to you gear! Anyone and everyone who works on two tone equipment fully depends on the information that YOU provide - there is NO OTHER WAY for us to find it. Your local 911 center, your radio service people, and anyone that you know in your agency that knows their radios are all good sources. Your buddy that thinks he knows simply is not good source!!

Status
Not open for further replies.