• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Minitor Minitor V problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2NEC

Hey guys

For anyone that has a minitor 5, have any of you had battery problems with them? Like the battery refuses to charge sometimes. Or if it's at 1 or 2 bars, I put it in the charger and the charger says it's fully charged. I take it out and power up and it still shows 1/2 bars. And it's not like it's an old battery either. Brand new. Sometimes I'm able to trick the charger by putting the pager in while it's on and then turning it off when it starts to charge. But I'm not sure if it's a bad charger or maybe a bad pager. Anyone have this problem before and is there any way to solve it? I'm not expecting Impres technology out of it but this is a little weird.

I wish I could upgrade to a minitor 6 but we still use low band for paging *shrugs*

Thanks

katt02

Katt
Yes, I have had this issue as well as a few others I knew with the minitor 5. From what I have noticed they are just very picky units. Although I have no legitimate solution, I found that removing the battery and charging it separately in the battery only port seems to work best. It is annoying to do, however it worked much better than leaving the battery in the unit.

RBMTS

Did you purchase the battery from a reseller on Amazon? I have have really bad luck with many different sellers of M5 batteries. Even some that had the "M" logos that were obvious Chinese knock-offs (bad charge, tight fit, loose fit, wouldn't latch). I went back to trusted reliable Motorola resellers.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
There were some bad chargers throughout the years so Ive heard and then some develop problems. I had a charger for a hobby pager that was completely whacked out, the pager wont charge unless theres a battery in the battery only slot no matter how many times you jam the pager or clean the contacts. After the pager shows green and the 2nd slot goes into charge, removing the pager keeps the green light on for the pager but its removed. I dont recall thats normal. Also had the issue of not charging in pager slot and turning green and only charging the battery only slot. Sometimes leaving it on green for the day did charge it, It used to work normal at one time, but pretty sure it killed a battery by leaving in the charger all the time with the pager on, eventually the battery refused to hold a charge. One whacky charger that always changed its mind

K2NEC

Yes, I have had this issue as well as a few others I knew with the minitor 5. From what I have noticed they are just very picky units. Although I have no legitimate solution, I found that removing the battery and charging it separately in the battery only port seems to work best. It is annoying to do, however it worked much better than leaving the battery in the unit.
I've tried both just charging the battery and putting the battery in the pager and charging it that was. Same results.
Did you purchase the battery from a reseller on Amazon? I have have really bad luck with many different sellers of M5 batteries. Even some that had the "M" logos that were obvious Chinese knock-offs (bad charge, tight fit, loose fit, wouldn't latch). I went back to trusted reliable Motorola resellers.
Negative, OEM motorola batteries and OEM Motorola charger.

K2NEC

Are you able to try another charger and/or battery?
Charger I can try possibly tomorrow. I don't believe it's a battery issue because I have a relatively new battery (few months old) and a new battery (taken fresh a week ago) that are both showing similar symptoms.

K2NEC

Ok so it turns out it was a bad battery. Ive used Min V's for a little over a year and already gone through 2 batteries. Could they make them any cheaper? :rolleyes:

ten13

Premium Subscriber
I had that battery problem too, but I just left the pager on until the battery went completely DOA, and it recharged as normal. And I haven't had that problem since.

Hop763

Premium Subscriber
I manage multiple V pagers for my fire dept. Motorola did have an issue with chargers for the V pagers. Purchase a new charger, Also check the date code on your battery to see how old it is, and finally I recommend buying only Motorola batteries That way you know you have matching equipment.

K2NEC

I bought a new pager and it came with a new charger that I'll be using. I only use OEM batteries. How do you check the date code on a minitor battery? I don't see the usual 4 number date code found on most Moto batteries.

BryanTheRed

Ø
Premium Subscriber
We've had a ton of issues with both the batteries and the chargers dying with no rhyme or reason. M3, M4 and the 6's have been great.

K2NEC

We've had a ton of issues with both the batteries and the chargers dying with no rhyme or reason. M3, M4 and the 6's have been great.
My M2 was great. Got a M5 because I wanted more options. I've heard the M2 was one of the best pagers they made.

Status
Not open for further replies.