• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Minitor VI pager

Status
Not open for further replies.

MFDHoward

Wiscomm's price: $493.00 (5 Channel, Unprogrammed)

P&W Service Price: $414 (5 Channel, Programmed/Unprogrammed)

Heavy competition..P&W will end up getting my money on the pager but Wiscomm will get my money on the programming cradle.

P&W has it for 21% off.

List Price: $468.00
Our Price: $369.00
You Save: $99.00 (21%)

Plus the 45 bucks for 5 channel.

Last edited:

WuLabsWuTecH

Might want to revisit your quote, none of our options bring it to $493.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Craig
That's probably a typo. I think he means 483.

VHF, 5 channel, standard warranty, intrinsically safe.

Of note, buying the 3 year warranty actually lowers the price on the standard (not intrinsically safe) model. (down to $425 from 455) I assume this is because you have to send it back to them for service and can't take it anywhere else?

WISCOMM

Of note, buying the 3 year warranty actually lowers the price on the standard (not intrinsically safe) model. (down to $425 from 455) I assume this is because you have to send it back to them for service and can't take it anywhere else?

The pricing has been corrected. Thanks for making us aware of it.

All IS warranty will work will be done at Motorola. No field service the IS line.

Craig

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
An observation here, folks...

I am seeing people posting different prices from different vendors, and I don't think we're getting apples to apples numbers in some cases. I would urge all of you to be accurate and fair when reporting these things here in the forum.

In all fairness, some vendors used placeholder prices to get their ads started when Motorola released the 6, and are now adjusting them to be in line with the MSRP's less whatever discount each vendor chooses to offer. Motorola did a poor job of introducing this product and the vendors had to fend for themselves to get rolling.

I have no favorites here and haven't done business with any vendor online.

WuLabsWuTecH

An observation here, folks...

I am seeing people posting different prices from different vendors, and I don't think we're getting apples to apples numbers in some cases. I would urge all of you to be accurate and fair when reporting these things here in the forum.

In all fairness, some vendors used placeholder prices to get their ads started when Motorola released the 6, and are now adjusting them to be in line with the MSRP's less whatever discount each vendor chooses to offer. Motorola did a poor job of introducing this product and the vendors had to fend for themselves to get rolling.

I have no favorites here and haven't done business with any vendor online.

I would echo this and additionally add: anyone getting pricing data from the forum and not straight from the vendors is doing it wrong! This is a terrible source for pricing!!! Go to each site individually and price out what you want. The forum is a great place for getting other users' opinions and experiences with specific vendors, but a terrible place to get anything but broad pricing info (i.e. it might be good to know that ACME will give 10% discounts for orders of 20 or more if you ask for it, but saying that the ACME price is 123.45 isn't really useful since prices can change without notice).

Take the information about quality and service from the forum, and combine that with the pricing data from each vendor to arrive at your final decision!!!

krokus

Premium Subscriber
The engineers that built the Minitor 2 now build the Watchdog pager. They left Motorola when M outsourced Min 3,4,5 production to China and went out on their own.

I had not heard about this. Do you have a citation for this info?

Sent via Tapatalk

pete7919

I had not heard about this. Do you have a citation for this info?

Sent via Tapatalk

I can't find anything to cite on their website. Call them and ask:

Phone (866) TWO-TONE
(866-896-8663)

It was explained to me at a fire show that several of their employees worked in the Florida plant on the earlier pagers and went off on their own when they shut down the plant and outsourced to China. It was part of the pitch they gave to get me to demo one.

footbase199

I tried the G1 and thought it was way too complicated for the average guy. They tried to do everything with it. Most firefighters just want a pager that'll go off when they have a call. As for all the scanning and monitoring only a small percentage actually need that. Also with the GSM it just seems so impractical to pay a monthly bill for a bunch of pagers. Who would do that department wide? You also have to pay for all the features regardless if you will use them or not. What if I don't need 64 channels and 8 switch positions or even stored voice? There's no choice you have to pay for it.

Another thing that concerns me with Unication is their warranty and repair. They will only replace units under warranty, no repair. Why don't they have the capability to repair? This leads to the same business Motorola (which was really Unication) had where you'd send your pagers in for repair and they'd tell you they were irreparable and you had to buy another.

I'm a WatchDog convert. They scan 5 channels and that's plenty for me. The buttons are simple and the batteries are AAA. When I have a problem they repair my units and send the same ones back to me. They have a 5 year warranty and have been pretty good about repairing whatever I need. (I know I sound like a commercial, too.)

My dept recently converted from low band paging to UHF and with that we switched from the Minitor V to the Watchdog pager because it was cheaper. Personally im not satisfied with the pager and a couple of the others guys aren't either. Mine has froze up a couple of time to the point where I have turned it off and it stayed on, so I had to take the batteries out and put them back in to reset it. Batteries are also another issue. Me and a couple other members are on our second round of batteries because they put their pager on the charger and they would hold a charge. So personally I am strongly considering purchasing a Minitor 6 regardless of what my fire dept wants to do.

pete7919

My dept recently converted from low band paging to UHF and with that we switched from the Minitor V to the Watchdog pager because it was cheaper. Personally im not satisfied with the pager and a couple of the others guys aren't either. Mine has froze up a couple of time to the point where I have turned it off and it stayed on, so I had to take the batteries out and put them back in to reset it. Batteries are also another issue. Me and a couple other members are on our second round of batteries because they put their pager on the charger and they would hold a charge. So personally I am strongly considering purchasing a Minitor 6 regardless of what my fire dept wants to do.

One of their strong points is their warranty and customer service. Every time I call to get something fixed the same person answers the phone and they either send me the part I need (usually for a broken belt clip) or get my unit in for repair. Most of the time my guys are doing something wrong or have put junk batteries in or aren't charging them. I would try to call and see if you can get resolution to your issues before you go spending hundreds of dollars on new equipment.

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
Programming Software Released

The PPS for the Minitor VI was released today. If you have an MOL account, it's right on the home page Under Service News. Version 1.04 2/17/2014

WuLabsWuTecH

That was one of the first places I tried but didn't find any. That link just takes me to the homepage though, try copy-pasting it again, but make sure the entire address bar is selected. I hate how the new browsers only show the main domain name and not everything else unless you specifically click on it twice before selecting all!

ffemt134

Feed Provider
The PPS for the Minitor VI was released today. If you have an MOL account, it's right on the home page Under Service News. Version 1.04 2/17/2014

Anyone know if they plan on putting the download link on the product page like they did for the V, or will you actually have to have a MOL account to get the VI software?

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know if they plan on putting the download link on the product page like they did for the V, or will you actually have to have a MOL account to get the VI software?

Motorola's rollout of the VI has been shaky to say the least. It really appears that no planning or coordination went into this product release. The pricing came out 10 days after the announcement and the PPS just a few days later.

My guess is that they will "get around to it" in an equally disjointed manner.

In the mean time, I am certain that someone who has a MOL account will fill the gap.

kklyberg

Digital paging on P25 Trunking

Relm Wireless has addressed the Paging dilemma on the P25 Trunked network, what they have done is utilize the call alert feature within the P25 standard feature set, the call alert is actually an individual Unit ID to Unit ID call type, but could be setup on any of the existing P25 consoles. In order to accommodate the one to many call type required for paging, Relm Wireless created the sentinel ID, so one single base station can be configured to appear to be many P25 Radios from the system level view, when the Base Station receives a call alert (Page) from the console it immediately acknowledges back to the console then refers to an internal lookup table which maps that individual sentinel ID to a predetermined DTMF ID that is programmed into the Relm BK Radios similar to the Quick call codes in a pager (Yes the solution would require the use of radios verses a receive only pager). The radios can be set to voice mute with the push of a button, so as to mimic the pager. The DTMF Id is sent out over the voice channel so the dispatcher has an audible when it is clear to talk. A second DTMF ID code can be programmed in the radio and can be mapped to the sentinel ID in the Base Station in order to mimic the All Call features as well.
Relm Wireless has gone on further to develop this same scenario in order to accomplish Station and weather siren alerting, the difference is that instead of mapping the sentinel ID to a DTMF code, it is mapped to an output of the Base Station which activates various functions within an existing alerting system.

Although this solution involves the utilization of a radio, Relm Wireless has been offering P25 Trunking portable radios in the $1200-$1500 range for years and the paging feature is part of the standard feature set, this is true with the Base Station as well, average Base Station cost is @$3500.
The drawback besides the increased cost (Radio Verses Pager) is the additional Unit ID's (Sentinel) which in many states is issued on a cost per month basis for voice traffic. Since a sentinel ID cannot be accessed by a user at the base station and be utilized for a voice communications in the normal sense, a cooperation would be necessary from the system owner/user community to work out a reasonable or no cost plan for the sentinel ID's.
For more information you can contact
Ken Klyberg
kklyberg@relm.com
321-953-7947

DisasterGuy

We have used individual call capability on EDACS for years to activate sirens, open doors and similar functions. This in no way replaces the purpose of a pager though.

I am still waiting for a demo Minitor VI and programmer to ship. As for finding cheap V programming hardware, good luck, I have been looking for a used Advisor cup (I have the pager interface box) and can't find one under $100 and that is alpha paging,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pete7919

Relm Wireless has addressed the Paging dilemma on the P25 Trunked network, what they have done is utilize the call alert feature within the P25 standard feature set, the call alert is actually an individual Unit ID to Unit ID call type, but could be setup on any of the existing P25 consoles. In order to accommodate the one to many call type required for paging, Relm Wireless created the sentinel ID, so one single base station can be configured to appear to be many P25 Radios from the system level view, when the Base Station receives a call alert (Page) from the console it immediately acknowledges back to the console then refers to an internal lookup table which maps that individual sentinel ID to a predetermined DTMF ID that is programmed into the Relm BK Radios similar to the Quick call codes in a pager (Yes the solution would require the use of radios verses a receive only pager). The radios can be set to voice mute with the push of a button, so as to mimic the pager. The DTMF Id is sent out over the voice channel so the dispatcher has an audible when it is clear to talk. A second DTMF ID code can be programmed in the radio and can be mapped to the sentinel ID in the Base Station in order to mimic the All Call features as well.
Relm Wireless has gone on further to develop this same scenario in order to accomplish Station and weather siren alerting, the difference is that instead of mapping the sentinel ID to a DTMF code, it is mapped to an output of the Base Station which activates various functions within an existing alerting system.

Although this solution involves the utilization of a radio, Relm Wireless has been offering P25 Trunking portable radios in the $1200-$1500 range for years and the paging feature is part of the standard feature set, this is true with the Base Station as well, average Base Station cost is @$3500.
The drawback besides the increased cost (Radio Verses Pager) is the additional Unit ID's (Sentinel) which in many states is issued on a cost per month basis for voice traffic. Since a sentinel ID cannot be accessed by a user at the base station and be utilized for a voice communications in the normal sense, a cooperation would be necessary from the system owner/user community to work out a reasonable or no cost plan for the sentinel ID's.
For more information you can contact
Ken Klyberg
kklyberg@relm.com
321-953-7947

Thanks for bringing up the idea. I didn't know this was even an option! The most obvious deal breaker with this solution is the high cost. You are also asking volunteers that are working day jobs to carry a radio and likely a spare battery. Not a likely scenario in my opinion. It's hard enough to get them to carry their pager!

That being said I'm curious how this solution plays out. Here are a bunch of questions I have right off the bat:
How loud is the call when received? Is it loud enough to wake someone up?
Is there a vibrate alert?
Can the radios record the call with stored voice?
Can the radio operate 24 hours a day and be on while recharging? Does this usage affect the batteries? Would this solution also work for a P25 Phase 2 system?
Does it require a dedicated channel on the system?

This should probably be a different thread considering it has nothing to to with the Minitor 6.

Thanks.

N2JDH

I have to play around with it, but this would work in my area of Northern NJ. I can set A Scan as EMS Duty and EMS General, B General Only, C Officers Only, D Fire Duty, E Fire Group Recall, G MICCOM BLS, H MICCOM ALS.

Would I do that? Maybe as a joke, but not something I need to do. I just got our M6 on Thursday afternoon. It's louder and clear. But it's still a pager to me. We got lucky and order ours in November and was told to get the M6 in a few months. No one is complaining about it. At least not yet! I dear them, I worked my butt off getting new equipment this year.

Also, get the nylon case. Still learning the buttons.

Andre H.
'73

wkredick

I have had 30 Min6 pagers sitting here for 3 weeks,programmer FINALLY came in today.I went to order 3 more programmers and they are backordered until April 27th. Supply Disruption supposedly.
Motorola says they are getting MANY orders for the M6 and programmers and it is causing backorders.
If you have programmed M6 in service now you are one of the lucky few :)
Anyone created and loaded any WAV files yet for an Alert Custom Tone yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.