Minnesota town City of Foley to replace police with private security force

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtnBiker2005

Database Admin

The central Minnesota town of Foley tried having its own police department and contracting with the county sheriff's department for law enforcement.

Now, in an effort to save money, the city with a population of 2,600 is making a controversial move few others have done: Starting in January, it plans to employ a private security company to patrol its streets.

Foley is believed to be the first town in Minnesota to replace its police force with private guards, according to the Minnesota attorney general's office.

Nationwide, other cities have supplemented their traditional police with contracted officers, said John Firman, director of research for the International Association of Chiefs of Police. Firman said an entirely private security force is a new approach, and his organization hasn't gotten many calls from communities considering the idea.
[Read more on the link]
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2011-11-14/police-private-security-foley/51194090/1
http://publicintelligence.net/minnesota-town-replaces-police-force-with-private-security/

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.

The central Minnesota town of Foley tried having its own police department and contracting with the county sheriff's department for law enforcement.

Now, in an effort to save money, the city with a population of 2,600 is making a controversial move few others have done: Starting in January, it plans to employ a private security company to patrol its streets.

Foley is believed to be the first town in Minnesota to replace its police force with private guards, according to the Minnesota attorney general's office.

Nationwide, other cities have supplemented their traditional police with contracted officers, said John Firman, director of research for the International Association of Chiefs of Police. Firman said an entirely private security force is a new approach, and his organization hasn't gotten many calls from communities considering the idea.

Yeah. It won't fly. The only way it could possibly, might work, is if they were citizens on radios calling the Sheriffs Office, or State Police for a witnessed crime, event.

Security guards acting in the capacity described above = 1) Do not have arrest and apprehension authority. 2) Do not have the authority to physically restrain or detain an individual. 3) If a security guard shoots someone, as in the "police" capacity you described above AND are not certified, a good lawyer will sue them for the person shot, making you give your weekly check to a court, court transferring the check to the defendant - AFTER you pay the lawyer fees to, making the "perp" shot / injured, live on the security officials income. 3) If a security guard gets in a physical confrontation and injures the "suspect" and the security guard is not certified, trained in restraining "suspects", then they risk facing a lawsuit. 4) I would not walk up to a vehicle in-----> most traffic stop and or vehicle assist scenerios without being armed. 5) I would not investigate---> most burglary or an unauthorized access, entering ; especially during the hours of darkness...without being armed. 6) An official in a security or law enforcement capacity cannot use a "baton" , or an "ASP" , without being qualified and certified with it.

Seems to me the town of Foley is opening itself up for a huge lawsuit, should something happen. If it does
there will be lawyers crawling out of the woodwork for 250 miles, begging for clients. Gross neglegence
can win big bucks in a courtroom. And , are civil lawsuit winnings not tax free? Hmmmm?

Defense of ones self, or defense of others is one thing for "Joe or Jane Citizen" with a gun permit. People
driving around in vehicles with yellow or green lights, "Playing" Law Enforcement is another.

The Police Officers whom work, before going to an academy is another of my peeves. I call them " One year wonders" ( West Virginina - A new Police Hire has aproxmately one year to attend the academy after being hired ), cause the most likely never go. When I started out in EMS, I met rural people whom worked as a Law Enforcement officers and drove around in a police cruiser by themselves ; answering calls, but never went to the academy. I knew when they took the job, they would not go. They leave the department to take a minimum wage job, work as a laborer ; or something of that sort. An hired officer, whom wants to work a few hours with a certified officer, in the same car - to get knowledge and education before going to the academy, to make them do better at the academy, I have no problem with, AFTER some class room training, legal training, and weapons training. But to go off on their own ( it has happened near where I live ) , I dont belive in it.

I have no problem with a "cadet" joining a department, riding with a certified officer AFTER classroom instruction. Get some insight as to the academy. Learn criminal and courtroom procedure, traffic stops, search and seizure, Laws and powers of arrest, Criminal apprehension, Emergency vehicle driving, weapons retention, Uniform care, Evidence, Domestic violence laws, state vehicle code, and ect, ect, ect. It would make you a better person before the academy, possibly making you graduate class honor grad, because your coworkers better prepared you. That would beat going to the academy and being "Thrown to the wolves", totally unknowldgable. Plus, some department training would motivate the "cadet" mentally, or that is my opinion anyway.

Qualify with a service pistol and patrol rifle before going to the academy. Get sprayed with police issue mace before going to the academy. Get up every morning early and do some physical training before the academy. Study state statutes before going to the academy. Learn basic first aid and CPR before going to the academy. A good Police Agency, possibly can make their new hire the class honor grad.

Security Officers on patrol in a Law Enformcement fashion...Please say it ain't so.

FF - Medic !!!

Last edited:

ff-medic

Banned

Yeah. It won't fly. The only way it could possibly, might work, is if there were citizens on radios calling the Sheriffs Office, or State Police for a witnessed crime, event.

Security guards = 1) Do not have arrest and apprehension authority. 2) Do not have the authority to physically restrain or detain an individual. 3) If a security guard shoots someone, as in the capacity you described above AND are not certified, a good lawyer will sue them for the person shot, making you give your weekly check to a court, court transferring the check to the defendant - AFTER you pay the lawyer fees to, making the "perp" shot / injured, live on the security officials income. 3) If a security guard gets in a physical confrontation and injures the "suspect" and the security guard is not certified, trained in restraining "suspects", then they risk facing a lawsuit. 4) I would not walk up to a vehicle in-----> most traffic stop and or vehicle assist scenerios without being armed. 5) I would not investigate---> most burglary or an unauthorized access, entering ; especially during the hours of darkness...without being armed. 6) An official in a security or law enforcement capacity cannot use a "baton" , or an "ASP" , without being qualified and certified with it.

Seems to me the town of Foley is opening itself up for a huge lawsuit, should something happen. If it does
there will be lawyers crawling out of the woodwork for 250 miles, begging for clients. Gross neglegence
can win big bucks in a courtroom.

Defense of ones self, or defense of others is one thing for "Joe or Jane Citizen" with a gun permit. People
driving around in vehicles with yellow or green lights, "Playing" Law Enforcement is another.

The Police Officers whom work, before going to an academy is another of my peeves. I call them " One year wonders" ( West Virginina - one has one year to attend the academy after being hired ), cause the most likely never go. When I started out in EMS, I met rural people whom worked as a Law Enforcement officers, but never went to the academy. I knew when they took the job, they would not go. They leave the department to take a minimum wage job, work as a laborer ; or something of that sort. An hired officer, whom wants to work a few hours with a certified officer, in the same car - to get knowledge and education before going to the academy, to make them do better at the academy, I have no problem with, AFTER some class room training, legal training, and weapons training. But to go off on their own ( it has happened near where I live ) , I dont belive in it.

I have no problem with a "cadet" joining a department, riding with a certified officer AFTER classroom instruction. Get some insight as to the academy. Learn criminal and courtroom procedure, traffic stops, search and seizure, Laws and powers of arrest, Criminal apprehension, Emergency vehicle driving, weapons retention, Uniform care, Evidence, Domestic violence laws, state vehicle code, and ect, ect, ect. It would make you a better person before the academy, possibly making you graduate class honor grad, because your coworkers better prepared you. That would beat going to the academy and being "Thrown to the wolves", totally unknowldgable. Plus, some department training would motivate the "cadet" mentally, or that is my opinion anyway.

Qualify with a service pistol and patrol rifle before going to the academy. Get sprayed with police issue mace before going to the academy. Get up every morning early and do some physical training before the academy. Study state statutes before going to the academy. Learn basic first aid and CPR before going to the academy. A good Police Agency, possibly can make their new hire the class honor grad.

Security Officers on patrol in a Law Enformcement fashion...Please say it ain't so.

FF - Medic !!!

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Premium Subscriber
I think the key here is "population 2,600". The PD was probably doing mostly security duties anyway. Like many small PDs they can call in the Sheriff or State Police if a crime occurs. I've worked security locations involving well over 2,600 people.

ff-medic

Banned
I think the key here is "population 2,600". The PD was probably doing mostly security duties anyway. Like many small PDs they can call in the Sheriff or State Police if a crime occurs. I've worked security locations involving well over 2,600 people.

Not meaning to be sarcastic, I do not care if the town only had 500 people in it. Yes, each state has its own laws; BUT the key meaning in my post was, the individual(s) doing Law Enforcement work , overt
criminal justice, should / has to be certified to protect themselves physically and legally, by receiving
approved training by the state. Training from a certified organization and or agency.

FF - Medic !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.