Minor repair help

Status
Not open for further replies.

john1969

I have a Sangean ATS 909. Like some radios in the past, when I turn the volume for adjustment I get a crackle static like noise. What is the cause? And does anyone know how to fix? Maybe blowing with canned air? Or is there a cleaner anyone can recommend? Thanks!

sjlamb

I have a Sangean ATS 909. Like some radios in the past, when I turn the volume for adjustment I get a crackle static like noise. What is the cause? And does anyone know how to fix? Maybe blowing with canned air? Or is there a cleaner anyone can recommend? Thanks!

It's a dirty potentiometer. Remove all power before opening the radio. Remove the volume knob and lightly spray the shaft of the volume control. Access the inside of the radio and agin lightly spray the inside of the pot. Radio shack used to sell tuner cleaner. Not sure if they still do. In a pinch, you can use WD-40 but avoid oversray on other components.

a29zuk

Another name for tuner cleaner is contact cleaner. I believe Radio Shack still sells it. If not your local auto parts store might have some, too. I would recommend the contact cleaner over the WD-40, though. Spray the control and work the dial or slider back and forth a few times before powering the radio up.

Good Luck,
Jim P.

EMTLJB

Depending on the age of the device and the severity of the corrosion, sometimes just working the pot back and forth from one extreme to another will break-up any build-up. Try the low tech approach before taking your equipment apart unless you're up to the challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.