• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MIP5000 and XTL5000

Status
Not open for further replies.

patt1345

So I’m not sure where to post this, but hopefully it gets to the right place. My department is in the middle of changing to P25 800. We have had techs in our dispatch center trying to figure out this issue and are still having no luck. We have a MIP5000 console with a Astro 25 XTL5000 in (tone) gateway configuration. The issue we are having is that when sending tones out from the MIP/XTL to our radios the radios either A. Don’t activate or B. Only activate when the tones are entered manually and not setup with a preassigned button. The tones also sound very distorted. These tones have been vetted by our County Dispatch for use on P25 800 and when they send the same exact tones using a MCC7500 with APX4500 they sound perfect and activate the radios every time. Is there something we are missing in either CPS or the MIP itself? We have messed with the TX gain with zero luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
The tones also sound very distorted. These tones have been vetted by our County Dispatch for use on P25 800 and when they send the same exact tones using a MCC7500 with APX4500 they sound perfect and activate the radios every time.
Let me preface this by saying I am definitely NOT an expert on this and many other members here have a much greater knowledge of the intricacies of P25 dispatching systems, but here goes!

The distorted tones are likely a product of the XLT5000. Newer APX and TRBO radios, like the 4500 you mention, don't actually send any tones over the talkgroup in the form of audio but instead send a signal indicating to receiving radios a tone has been initiated, which allows each radio to independently recreate the tone. This preserves the audio fidelity required for DTMF and Quick Call signaling over digital systems.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Mototrbo need here, Astro knowledge is minimal. Tone gateway isnt for sending tones, it is for interfacing with tone remote equipment. Wouldn't you be better server by a local gateway? That being said, sounds like the audio is too hot coming into the radio or out of the gateway. It has been a few years since messing with a MIP, but I remember there being gateway audio out level controls. If you turn it down and it is still messed up, then there is likely something funky in the console setting manual vs. Stored tone. A call to moto may be in order. TT

patt1345

what is the Firmware of the XTL?
Newest firmware was loaded today I can’t remember what version the tech told me. I’m aware the XTL has its its own tone remote and that the 2 tone might not sound perfect from it, but we just need it to activate radios. Can we use a different tone remote instead of the onboard one? Just trying to get all our options.

JRayfield

The XTL series of radios used the old IMBE vocoder. These radios will not transmit single audio tones clearly through them.

Newer radios (such as the APX series, MOTOTRBO radios, etc,) use the newer AMBE+2 vocoder. These radios will transmit single audio tones clearly through them.

You need to replace the old XTL5000 with a new APX series radio.

John Rayfield, Jr.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Let me preface this by saying I am definitely NOT an expert on this and many other members here have a much greater knowledge of the intricacies of P25 dispatching systems, but here goes!

The distorted tones are likely a product of the XLT5000. Newer APX and TRBO radios, like the 4500 you mention, don't actually send any tones over the talkgroup in the form of audio but instead send a signal indicating to receiving radios a tone has been initiated, which allows each radio to independently recreate the tone. This preserves the audio fidelity required for DTMF and Quick Call signaling over digital systems.

Correct. The XTL5000 cannot do the tones on P25; if you're trying to actually do tone alerting over P25 you'll need to get an APX consolette, or an APX mobile to use with your existing tone remote box. No other choice.

patt1345

thank you all for your responses. I guess I will be asking for more equipment. We are looking to do this the cheapest way due to consolidating with another dispatch center with newer equipment in the near future. Can anyone recommend the cheapest APX mobile that will work with our current MIP console and tone remote setup?

patt1345

Correct. The XTL5000 cannot do the tones on P25; if you're trying to actually do tone alerting over P25 you'll need to get an APX consolette, or an APX mobile to use with your existing tone remote box. No other choice.

thank you all for your responses. I guess I will be asking for more equipment. We are looking to do this the cheapest way due to consolidating with another dispatch center with newer equipment in the near future. Can anyone recommend the cheapest APX mobile that will work with our current MIP console and tone remote setup?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

Any APX mobile should work, so you could probably get away with an APX1500 for console use; it's the least expensive of the bunch. Check with your radio shop to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.