Mirarmar Air Show - Oct 4 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

boilerdam

Hey guys! My first post here... I'm watching the Mirarmar air show this weekend. Being an aviation buff, I would like to listen to the comms. I listen to LiveATC a lot on my phone but they don't do military stuff. Also, the bonus would be able to listen to the Blue Angels.

I've already found quite a few threads talking about this but most missed the stuff I wanted or were not recently updated for frequencies used by the Angels. So,

1) Which radio should I buy that can receive the 237-346MHz freqs? (Air Shows Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference) Since I only have 3 days to get these radios, I would prefer if they're available on Amazon. Currently, I see a Bearcat 500 (BC125AT) for $104. Is this any good for airshows?

2) If the above freq list isn't updated, can you tell me what frequencies they're using now? I read that there was a change in the freqs they used in 2007. I'm assuming that the list in the above link is the latest since it was updated in April 2014.

3) Is it illegal to listen to them at air shows? Will I be stopped at security if they see this in my backpack?

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
How did you make out at the airshow?
Find anything interesting?
Did you get inside any cockpits for special info?

boilerdam

Hi Heidi,

The air show was pretty awesome. Most of the flying displays I saw centered around the F/A-18 with the Blue Angels & some afterburner passes at night. I was able to pick up Blue Angel chatter during their performance and it was awesome, being my first time listening to live BA talk. They were mainly on the Delta Formation freq [284.25000] & the Solo Pilots freq [237.80000]. I was listening on a BC125AT and I connected it to my DSLR to record video & chatter. I split the audio cable twice so that my friend, me & my DSLR could all listen at the same time; worked out well :)

Yes, I did get into a couple of cockpits - C130 Hercules & a CH-53 Super Stallion. I also saw the cockpits of a F/A-18FSuper Hornet & an AH-1 Super Cobra whose pilot enthusiastically shared a lot of info :)

The afterburner passes at night were pretty awesome. I just found this, check it out: Watch This F/A-18 Hornet Torch The Night Sky With Its Afterburners

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
Glad you enjoyed the airshow ...
Another convert to Military Listening :)
Good Luck with your future adventures.

Status
Not open for further replies.