"Mirics"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

se

Hi.

This question is directed towards anyone in this forum who owns an SDRplay RSP 2 Pro receiver. Is the word MIRICS supposed to show up in the list of programs, that one has installed on their computer? I "think" that I have all the required software from sdrplay.com downloaded and installed now.

Thanks Sheldon.

br0adband

There are two basic chips in the most SDR hardware: a tuner chip and also a USB controller chip. Obviously the tuner chip is the radio frequency tuner for pulling in the stuff you want to listen to and the USB controller chip is what allows the software running on the computer to control the tuner. In the very popular RTL-based "cheap USB TV tuners" that have been the main reason SDR has exploded in the monitoring community over the past few years the tuner chip is made by a company called Rafael Micro (the R820T and R820T2) and the USB controller chip is made by Realtek (the RTL2832U).

In the SDRplay the developer of that hardware took a different route and chose a different manufacturer for the chipset and it's an all-in-one solution meaning it's not two separate chips (a tuner chip and a USB controller chip) and that AIO solution is made by a company called Mirics. What you're seeing as a program (and would be under Device Manager as well I'm guessing) is the software related to the Mirics hardware chipset and you're fine in that respect. :)

SDRplay itself is made by one manufacturer but the actual chipset used is made by Mirics, to make it as plain and simple as possible. It's sorta like how your computer could be made by Dell or Gateway or HP or something but the processor itself is made by Intel or AMD (and the chipset as well to match the CPU almost always), for example.

se

Hi.

I did go into Device Manager to see if 'anything' SDRplay is listed in there and there is SDRplay 2 Pro. I just forgot about looking in Device Manager for it. ive only had SDRplay 2 Pro for 2 weeks now. Now if only I could get a good indoor antenna for it, to listen to and decode anything I can with it.

Sheldon.

br0adband

Well, there's no shortage of antennas available and another option is to build one yourself and it's easier than most people - even people that have been part of this hobby for extended periods of time. Of course this assumes that you have a cable with an SMA connector on it already as I'm not familiar with what the SDRplay comes with from the factory - some SDR hardware includes a very basic telescopic whip antenna to get you started, but if you don't have any antenna at all right now then yes you'll need to get yourself something to put that device to work. ;)

Flatliner

Interestingly, both Mirics and SDRplay are British companies so it's a natural combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.