TRX-1: Misc. TRX-1 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyes00only

Gee, just when I though I was learning a little. Now one of my V-Folders wants to scan through all of the scan list which takes forever.
I have set to only scan scanlist one. What did I do wrong?
Also should I always have Attenuation and Global Attenuation set to ON in trunked systems (DMR, NXDN, P25)?
Seems like no matter what I do I'm getting very garbled (digitalized) audio which VERY SELDOM happened with my GRE PSR500 on P25 Phase1.

Attachments

• RR1.png
    RR1.png
    105.1 KB · Views: 48

djs9164

If scan list 1 is your default, then anything you program in that entire vscaner file will show up in scan list 1 by default

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

tvengr

Well Known Member
Are scan lists 151 and above enabled. If they are, you will get all of the library information. You can create a scan set with scan lists 1-150 which will ignore the other lists. Make sure the other scan sets are not enabled.

eyes00only

In EZ-Scan advanced setting, check that you havent't selected "Scan sets ignore scanlist enabled setting"

/Ubbe
I'll check but have purposely avoided any advanced setting for fear of messing things up. I just deleted almost all of my folders and
will start from scratch. I'm trying to learn by trial and error but it sure helps to have well educated people here to help.
I owe you the best most expensive lunch in town. I say that because I see you're in Sweden :devilish:
PS / I'm jealous

Ubbe

I see you're in Sweden :devilish:
PS / I'm jealous
Don't be. There's almost nothing to monitor here, most of it are encrypted. I can listen to the subway system when they have door problems or their A/C doesn't work. The energy plants do their montly maintanance checks, taxi cabs, marine and air, cement trucks, amateur radio, track and field events, the local kids using their free radios playing hide and seek or spying games.

/Ubbe

eyes00only

Same here with encryption but there are lots of businesses, events and other things to monitor. I kind of regret buying this TRX-1 but will try to make the best of it. I think I figured out to have the BACKLIGHT come on during a transmission but it's crazy that you have to set it by individual talkgroups. Reading the display without the light is terrible and I have tried all the CONTRAST settings.

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
I think I figured out to have the BACKLIGHT come on during a transmission but it's crazy that you have to set it by individual talkgroups.

You don't have to.... there's a tick-box in EZ Scan (in the backlight settings section, IIRC) that when ticked will turn on the backlight anytime the speaker is un-muted.

eyes00only

Bummer. I just setup a V Folder for a simulcast system and am hearing nothing. I do know that TRX1 is not great on simulcast but I have read that here in Colorado TRX1 users are monitoring the Adams County system.
Questions: Should I use all available sites / Is squelch needed / Which attenuation settings should I use?
WOW, may have just answered one of my questions. Turned down SQUELCH and now receiving a few talkgroups.
Squelch was never needed on my GRE PRS 500 with P25 Phase1 & LTR systems. Learning ever day :cool:

eyes00only

Garbled audio. I very seldom had poor audio with previous scanners. I always thought that with digital you either received a transmission or not. I have heard dispatch tell a unit that that they were digitized. Now with P25 Phase 2 I'm getting audio that I can't even make out what is being said. HOW CAN I IMPROVE THIS PROBLEM? Is it an antenna issue, attenuation issue, or what?
Thanks in advance for any tips.

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
I'll let someone else (many others, I'm sure) answer the simulcast question as I don't have time right now with our Taco Tuesday dinner ready in a few minutes... but did you find the "On When Unmuted" backlight setting I mentioned yesterday?

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
@ eye00only - Only thing that can save those scanners is a directional Yagi antenna at home. Taking them in the car will also give you garbled and missed transmissions. Phase II is even worse. You are repeating exactly what I said in 2014-2015 That's why I got and recommend a Unication G4/G5 pager for those systems. Good luck.

Ubbe

I would say that in any scanner the squelch are the top priority that are checked to see if the scanner should even bother to stop scanning. Then if squelch have opened it checks the criteria for unmuting audio, any subtone on conventional analog and in digital systems it starts to try and decode the data stream and continue from there if it should start scanning again due to bad data quality or try and match TG's to see if it should unmute.

TRX seems to have a squelch that only opens on strong signals and then it close on very weak signals that needs the squelch to be set fairly high. If you only scan digital systems you can lower the squelch or have it at 0 to help it receive weaker signals but the scan rate will be then be lower as it spends time trying to decode data from a lot of frequenceis that have no data or even a signal, just noise.

/Ubbe

eyes00only

I'll let someone else (many others, I'm sure) answer the simulcast question as I don't have time right now with our Taco Tuesday dinner ready in a few minutes... but did you find the "On When Unmuted" backlight setting I mentioned yesterday?
Thanks again. I setup a system yesterday and your tip did the trick. Taking an overnight trip tomorrow and setting up a V-Folder now and
I'll check it again. I do like my delay to be a little longer and don't think there is an easy way to do that. I can't even get key shortcuts like
Control & A to highlight all to work. The tab button doesn't work either in the dang EZ Scan software.

eyes00only

@ eye00only - Only thing that can save those scanners is a directional Yagi antenna at home. Taking them in the car will also give you garbled and missed transmissions. Phase II is even worse. You are repeating exactly what I said in 2014-2015 That's why I got and recommend a Unication G4/G5 pager for those systems. Good luck.

I did know going in that the TRX1 would not be great but didn't expect it to be this bad. It is nice to monitor the many DMR & NXDN
system here in my area. I want to check a place I worked at but will need to learn how to find a MotoTurbo control channel, etc. When
I worked there my frequency counter would not pick up anything.

eyes00only

I would say that in any scanner the squelch are the top priority that are checked to see if the scanner should even bother to stop scanning. Then if squelch have opened it checks the criteria for unmuting audio, any subtone on conventional analog and in digital systems it starts to try and decode the data stream and continue from there if it should start scanning again due to bad data quality or try and match TG's to see if it should unmute.

TRX seems to have a squelch that only opens on strong signals and then it close on very weak signals that needs the squelch to be set fairly high. If you only scan digital systems you can lower the squelch or have it at 0 to help it receive weaker signals but the scan rate will be then be lower as it spends time trying to decode data from a lot of frequenceis that have no data or even a signal, just noise.

/Ubbe

I do think I'll avoid conventional frequencies so I can keep my squelch set way low. I just found it odd that with my GRE PSR500 in a
P25 Phase1 system the squelch setting did not affect anything.

eyes00only

Luckily for me it's just a hobby. I know if my job depended on it (Reporter etc.) I would need a way better antenna and different scanners.

eyes00only

TUNE MODE. The manual does not explain this and I'm wondering what it is used for.
Also am I correct in saying that there is no sub menu in Service Search? In other scanners it's broken down
into HAM, Railroad, etc.
Last question for now: AUDIO BOOST. It seems to help the poor audio on the TRX but it seems the only way
to set this up is manually with the scanner and even worse by one object at a time. The tip on using the Backlight
when unmuted was super great! Any way to set Audio Boost to be always in in the EZ Scan software?

Status
Not open for further replies.