TRX-1: Misc. TRX-1 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubbe

TUNE MODE. The manual does not explain this and I'm wondering what it is used for.
It is a VFO, Variable Frequency Oscillator, a way to enter a frequency and listen to it and you can also step up and down from that frequency. It remembers the last frequency used when you enter une mode again with Fn+0. Other scanners often have a button for VFO or MAN to be used in different ways to enter a fixed frequency to monitor.
Also am I correct in saying that there is no sub menu in Service Search? In other scanners it's broken down
into HAM, Railroad, etc.
In my TRX-2 I have to select one of the services, Amateur, Railroad etc, to even begin to service search. Strange that TRX-1 doesn't have that. Maybe an upgrade to the latest firmware can fix that problem?

/Ubbe

eyes00only

Thanks. I can see where Tune Mode can be helpful. I'll give it a try. I do keep my TRX & EZ Scan updated and sure wish
they could fix some problems with the TRX1. The volume is turning out to be a major bummer.
PARTIALLY WRONG. Must have been too tired last night but there is a sub-menu under search. I think what I meant was
for instance you need to search the entire Aircraft Band, etc.
YIKES! I was just experimenting and while searching Public Safety it hung up on 42.40. I started pushing buttons and somewhere
it was sub-divided into Low Band - VHF - UHF, etc. Now I can't duplicate what I did. I'll go into the software again after breakfast
and recheck the setting there.

Ubbe

When you go into the search menu, you for some reason do not see any frequency band specific settings. They appear first when you back out of it with the menu key. A very strange way from Whistler of adding a submenu to the search feature.

/Ubbe

eyes00only

When you go into the search menu, you for some reason do not see any frequency band specific settings. They appear first when you back out of it with the menu key. A very strange way from Whistler of adding a submenu to the search feature.

/Ubbe

STRANGE for sure. Fairly happy with the scanner but the software is just terrible. I was just doing a new system and it wouldn't even let me Highlight - Hold the shift key and Arrow down to highlight all the objects in order to set Audio Boost.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
?? EzScan? yes, they named it wrong. But you CAN do a large batch edits by clicking the first line you want to start at ... hold the shift key down and NOT TOUCHING anything else in the form field *using only the scroll bar ... you then click the LAST line you want to stop at and change everything for each object in that category. Everything from first to last click will fill in and be scored* If you want to enable "audioboost *snickers*" for a bunch ... that's how you can do it.
Once the cursor touches anything ELSE in the field of play it prevents you from doing your task for some reason. I've never heard one bit of boost from that control, but people claim they do.

Ubbe

Open the squelch on an analog conventional channel and change the audio boost and compare. Or program two test channels with different settings and open SQ and switch between the channels in the browse object feature. It makes a big difference in my TRX-2. It seems to be similar to Unidens + and - volume setting for frequencies and TG's as it changes the final volume level after the AGC action have done it's thing.

/Ubbe

PappyDC

Complete newb here....I'm a new TRx-1 owner and had the unit programmed from whistler for my area (Hamilton County Indiana). Now it seems I need to start over....this discussion has been so helpful - I'm not sure I'm hearing everything I should be- Thanks, Pappy in Indiana

eyes00only

Pappy,

Welcome, this is a great website! I've been in the hobby for over 40 years and things have sure changed. I'm also a new TRX-1 owner and
it's a lot to learn. Have fun! The tip above by Johnnydollar2 sure helps.

eyes00only

SCREEN BURN IN

Has anyone experienced screen burn in from the clock always being on with the TRX1 plugged in?
I'm afraid to leave mine plugged in all the time.

eyes00only

Another EZ Scan question. I thought you could set search parameters as an object but sure the heck can't find out how.
I have noticed that for some reason there is almost no EZ Scan discussion in the software forum here on Radio Reference.
As always, any tips on this crazy software is GREATLY appreciated.

Ubbe

I thought you could set search parameters as an object but sure the heck can't find out how.
That would be great as you could have different setting for different objects but it can't be done. Closest thing to it are different v-scanner folders that are copies from the original one but only the search parameters are different.

/Ubbe

eyes00only

That would be great as you could have different setting for different objects but it can't be done. Closest thing to it are different v-scanner folders that are copies from the original one but only the search parameters are different.

/Ubbe
Thanks. Kinda figured it wouldn't work. I'm still having fun trying things but it's frustrating. Still not sure what TUNE MODE is for.
I thought it was like ANALYZE with my PSR500.
Have you had any screen burn-in? I would like to leave mine on when I leave the house and use the recording feature which I
haven't even tried yet. Thing is I want to HOLD it on one object which could cause burn-in as well as the clock always being on
when plugged in.

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't worry about screen "burn in." It's just a dot-matrix LCD, which are not prone to burn in like the old plasma TVs or CRT monitors. I've had mine plugged in either at home or at work nearly 24/7 for over a year and see no issues at all.

Ubbe

Tune Mode can be used if you want to monitor a frequency without a time consuming programming operation as an object and then find that object in the menu to actually begin monitoring the frequency. The signal could be gone by then. If you hear a conversation from an analog conventional frequency and before you had the time to hit the pause button it has started to scan, then you do Fn+0 and enter that frequency. But usually I use it to temporary listen to a frequency that popped up on another scanner that I would like to continuosly listen to, maybe correctly decode a DMR signal that the Uniden scanner have problems to properly display the TG's and ID's from.

No problem with any scanner displays that I know of. My HP1's color display has run 6 hours a day for 10 years and TRX and 536 are running day and night for more than 2 years.

/Ubbe

eyes00only

Great news on the burn-in question. I used the Record option last night and was impressed. I've never had a scanner do that.
I used to use an old type VOX cassette recorder that worked but missed the first few seconds.
I'll have to play with TUNE mode because I don't see how it shows if it's a DMR, P25, etc. reception. All I ever get by doing Fn & 0
the frequency and the ability to step or down the frequency. I hope to go downtown today and monitor some DMR.
I did do a Sweeper Search and it stopped on a UHF freq. and displayed DMR which I think is what I need to DISCOVER a system.
I suppose I'll have to come home and setup the system using a Wildcard.

Ubbe

One thing to remember with TUNE mode, as are alike with programmed frequencies, are that TRX scanners cannot automaticly switch between analog and digital signals in the same way that Uniden scanners do. You either have to select if you want to monitor analog signals OR digital of different formats, which the TRX actually managed to automaticly switch between.

/Ubbe

eyes00only

Just discovered another major bummer (I think) with EZ Scan. I created a V-Folder and forgot to add something.
Tried to EDIT the folder by adding a new trunking system but it would not work.
Guess my only option is to delete and start all over. This is after I spent the time to set up 5 scan list, changed delay times, etc.
I sure wish Whistler would do something about this terrible software!

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Just discovered another major bummer (I think) with EZ Scan. I created a V-Folder and forgot to add something.
Tried to EDIT the folder by adding a new trunking system but it would not work.
Guess my only option is to delete and start all over. This is after I spent the time to set up 5 scan list, changed delay times, etc.
I sure wish Whistler would do something about this terrible software!

You have to make sure ezscan is accessing the proper vscanner folder, you will see what vscanner folder is open at the very top of the ezscan window.

eyes00only

You have to make sure ezscan is accessing the proper vscanner folder, you will see what vscanner folder is open at the very top of the ezscan window.

Pretty sure I was in the correct folder because I could see the systems I wanted there but needed to add another.
I'll try it again today after chores. Sure hope I don't have to start over because I get WAY TOO MANY things I don't want that are automatically downloaded with our state systems. That and all the work organizing scan list, LED's, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.